General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Should I look into buying this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should I look into buying this?

Hey, I haven't yet posted in the forums until now, although when I first registered I talked with a few of you in the chat room. I'm looking at a 1998 Ram 2500 SLT Laramie Long Bed 4x4 with a 12V and NV4500 5-speed manual. It has 224,000 miles and is listed for $9,995. Here's the link to it, although there isn't a picture or much more regarding the specs than what I just said. Is this a good price and would it be reliable enough to last me around 5 years considering its current mileage? Are there any major issues I should worry about besides the dowel pin falling out and the 5th gear nut coming loose? Thanks ahead of time!
Old 09-13-2007, 09:19 PM

Oh, come on, 24 views yet no responses.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:41 PM

First off, since I have a 2-year older 2wd version of this truck. let me say that these rigs bring a new meaning to the term "American Quality." It's still a truck I look forward to driving, and being a SCCA.org and BMWCCA.org member, it's not always easy to say that about a truck.

Now - there's not tons of these out there anymore...to me $10k for a truck with 224k on it is a bit too much, but they are rare. How's the rest of the truck overall? (pictures would be great if you can get them.) Have the ball joints been done recently? Does it have a fifth-wheel in it? What service records are avalible? Sorry, more questions than answers...my normal.

Perhaps it's good to do a search on "general 12 Valve buying tips" as this does get asked quite a bit. If you know the person selling it, or have a reputation with the dealer it's usually better since you have recourse should something act up. Test drive the truck for more than fifteen minuites, more like 45 min - 1hr. One last thing...my signature says what it does as this is a used truck: you should probalby have around 20% of the purchase price on-hand for repairs and maintance (not modificaitons) as there will likely be something "unexpected" that will happen. Not being a pessimist...just realistic. Good luck and enjoy your new truck...you'll love it!
Old 09-13-2007, 10:42 PM

Thanks for the advice! I haven't yet contacted the dealer for more information, and I really wish they had a picture. All I know is that it has a "long wheelbase", so I'm not sure what cab it has (I'm looking for a club/quad cab, which seems to be most common) nor the bed length, but I'm assuming it at least has a long bed. Maybe I'll drop the dealer a call on Saturday (going to be gone all day tomorrow) and get more info and get them to post pictures.

Also, according to KBB, a Ram 2500 club/quad cab in good condition runs around $11k retail, and I was sure to put the mileage as well. The dealer (which I'm not familiar with) is around an hour away, so I'm not sure if/when I could go up there for a test drive. I'll be sure to search for what you said, as well. Thanks again!
Old 09-13-2007, 10:49 PM
Banned

What is 5 years of milage for you, for me that would put the truck well over 500k, which is not necessarially wearing out the engine, but the package will certianly be showing some age at that point. Especially with me doing the driving

But that isn't a bad price at all, you should be able to get them to come down at least a little.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by displacedtexan
What is 5 years of milage for you, for me that would put the truck well over 500k, which is not necessarially wearing out the engine, but the package will certianly be showing some age at that point. Especially with me doing the driving

But that isn't a bad price at all, you should be able to get them to come down at least a little.
Probably not much, I'd say around another 100,000 miles or so total (in those five years or more). What's the lowest you think I could get them to come down to, $8500 or so? That'd be great!
Old 09-13-2007, 11:46 PM
Banned

She should have another 100k in her easy unless you are trying to break her

Offer $8500, what's the worst that can happen, they say not a penny less than $9250?
Old 09-14-2007, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by displacedtexan
She should have another 100k in her easy unless you are trying to break her

Offer $8500, what's the worst that can happen, they say not a penny less than $9250?
Yeah, that's what I thought!
Old 09-14-2007, 08:11 AM

Look at it this way, you are paying below what most people would pay for a 98 12v. I would love to get my hands on one that is less that 10 grand and I have seen them as hi as 16-17 grand with 150,000 or more. I agree with the guys on the test drive, I almost bought a 97 one ton that looked good. But when I test drove it, I found it had an oil leak and the clutch was going. Do like the boys said and take on a good drive, give a little hell that way you know nothing is wrong. Give it a good check for any leaks, and if you find one have them check it out. I think you are gitting a good deal, my first 12v lasted until nearly 300,000 before the KDP did it in. Didn't know much about diesels back then, these guys on this site will help you.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:52 PM

Yeah, I'll definitely do a test drive before buying. I think the price is quite fair...provided that there are no problems with it.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:21 PM

I just checked, and there's now a picture! Looks great (except for the non-matching front bumper, but that could be taken care of...)!

Old 09-14-2007, 11:38 PM

That is far from the best pic I ever saw, but thetruck LOOKS worth 9K in it.

Looks like somebody was rough on those rear tires...
Old 09-15-2007, 12:52 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave
Looks like somebody was rough on those rear tires...
I wonder how that happened?