General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Shopping for used Dodge, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 04:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Shopping for used Dodge, need advice

Howdy All,

My husband and I currently own a 1995 Ford F250 7.4 L 2WD, and I am desperate to switch to a diesel. This truck is nice, but it sucks the gas (ave. 10 mpg, 6 mpg towing our 5th wheel), and it is used as a commuting vehicle more than a towing one. I have been researching what to get and have come to the conclusion that we should get a Dodge 2500 CTD, QC, LB, SLT, 4X4 manual transmission.

I've come to the conclusion that the ATs are just too problematic, and all the rancher type folks seem to really love their manuals. I am hoping that 4WD will prevent my spinning on slick grass the way the Ford does, but I'm becoming aware that it won't necessarily prevent me from getting stuck in mud due to the weight, correctomundo?

We can only afford something under $20K, so I guess I'm looking at between '98 and '01.

In addition to commuter driving, the truck will be used for hauling large loads of hay, pulling a GN stock trailer, and pulling our 24 ft. 5th wheel trailer converted to a GN.

I'm confused about gear ratios and 5 spd. vs. 6 spd., overdrive, etc. I've seen some trucks listed with 5 spd w/OD vs. just 5 spd (do some come w/o OD or is it just an ommission?). What is the difference between 5 spd. w/OD and 6 spd, and why would I want one over the other?

What gear ratio would be best for our needs (decent fuel ecomony and not super frequent hauling of under 10K lb.?)

Thanks in advance! I need much education here!

betsycam
hoping to own a CTD 2500 QC LB Slt 4X4 MT!
Old 03-28-2004, 05:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
6 speeds just give you one more gear. Some liek this with heavy towing because it give them a gear between 3rd and 4th that is handy.
You will hear much debate on the rear end ratio. I suggest the 355. I have a 3.55 in my truck and it's great. The diesels were made for torque, and so the low ratio is not as big a deal. I wouldn't go to a 4.10 unless I hauled really heavy, 20k or more. This also depends where you haul also. If you are in a mountainous area, the 4.10 may be better suited for the hills with less than 20K loads, but that manual tranny will take care of that, 5 spd or 6.

If you get a 12 valve engine, you will generally get better fuel mileage than the 24 valve. The 12 valves were used through the first half of 1998, after that it's the 24 valve. Both can get you great power, but the 12 valve is a little easier/cheaper to give more power, if necessary.

Chris
Old 03-28-2004, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sounds like you've done some good research! 3.55 or 3.73 is good for hauling under 10K lbs and still gives you good mileage. Normally, on this forum, a tranny is called 5-sp or 6-sp...it's understood that the highest gear is obviously overdrive. Personally, I'd like to get a '98 because that was the last year they put the 12 valve engine in the Dodges. They seem to be pretty simple too.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Other things to think about. First the KDP. This is the "Killer Dowel Pin" and involves a dowel pin, that lines up the timing cover, falling out, and into the timing gears, after any number of miles. This is something you will want to check and fix, but is not a deal breaker for the truck you buy. It is simple and will cost about 60.00 bucks to fix, and should be checked/done soon after your purchase.

A deal breaker, at least in my opinion, is the "53" block. These are know for cracking. Not every block cracks, but it's a chance I wouldn't want to take again. I did not know about it when I bougfht my truck, with a "53" block. Mine cracked.
More info: http://www.Stamey.nu/Truck/Cummins53BlockFAQ.htm

Chris
Old 03-28-2004, 11:38 PM
db

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello & welcome
You'll be able to get a great rig for that kind of money. (I found a better selection of used trucks out of state,however) I work in SSF & stay in Mnt. View where I always have one of the trucks you see in my profile with me. Your more than welcome to come by and see one up close where I could show you some things like the Dowel Pin fix (94'-98') & where to see the "53" block id location & such. I aswer my E-mails.
I've pulled with all of them. 4:10 gears are somewhat offset by the taller OD gear in automatics for highway use. The only other gear ratio for the 2nd gen. trucks (94'-02') is the 3:55s , those would probly be ok for for your useage.
If your in Woodside Ca. Do you have horses?
ps- my 12 valvers get better mpg than my 24 valver. FWIW

db