General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Shell Rotella Synthetic?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 12:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ayy capt, you wont catch us in no oil war...Like I said "I buy it by the color of the label...its a good a argument as anyone else-s.
were just discussin pros and cons to syn oil, no lables -Thanx Cap
Old 01-23-2004, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rich
Old 01-23-2004, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by thumper 549
...Like I said "I buy it by the color of the label...its a good a argument as anyone else-s.
Never thought about this approach,........gonna try the label thing next time.... Sure it is better than doing it by taste...........I thought it was kinda like beer ya know???
Old 01-23-2004, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by MacGyver
Ok well I gotta ask......... so your gonna tell me that they break these engines in for oh....say 20,000 miles on this test bed???????????

Well I am gonna go out on a limb here and make a wild a#$ guess.............NOT.............I know cheby does not do so to the Vette engines and they all come with syn oil as do BMW and MB and quite a few others now I know they don't know everything but again I am gonna make a guess and say they know more than we do about it, would you not agree?????
This is the proverbial comparison of apples to oranges. They both grow on trees. They're round, therefore........... All of the engines in the automobiles you note above are linered or sleeved engines and have harder bore walls; no break-in to speak of. The Cummins engine is a parent-bore design and is much softer. This engine is a breed apart from others. Dare I say a dying breed? Possibly it's one that many of us have never had experience with. The break-in procedures are on the Cummins web site, and in the owners manual. But as I've said before, I'd be the last person to try and talk someone out of it if they choose to disregard them. If someone wants to try synthetic before the recommended interval, by all means knock yourself out.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by Commatoze
All of the engines in the automobiles you note above are linered or sleeved engines and have harder bore walls; no break-in to speak of. The Cummins engine is a parent-bore design and is much softer. This engine is a breed apart from others. Dare I say a dying breed? Possibly it's one that many of us have never had experience with. The break-in procedures are on the Cummins web site, and in the owners manual. But as I've said before, I'd be the last person to try and talk someone out of it if they choose to disregard them. If someone wants to try synthetic before the recommended interval, by all means knock yourself out.
I do agree with you in that these are all lined or sleaved engines now and as such the brake in period will be different, but Cheby used syn even when they had a parent bore engine in the Vette. It is as you say, apple and oranges and it is to each his own............. I for one don't care much for oranges
Old 01-23-2004, 06:32 PM

Ya, what Commatoze said about soft parent-bore walls; it's what two Cummins techs told me, as well. Long, careful break-in.

I define that as 12K+ miles, no syn, lots of oil changes, and don't hammer the pedal all that much. Plus, talk to the engine, tell it that you like it and it's doing well.

But in the spirit of this thread, y'all can do WHATEVER you want.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:52 AM
Banned

I say this with some seriousness and some jest- that kind of a break in is some sort of a religious ritual..........
Most of the cummins teks I have talked to are so green they could not tell you how to measure piston speed, where to place ring gaps,how to measure gaps(they told me here in renton they don't) -and in the same breath the manager tells me about the guy that puts 20 under pistons in a 20 over eng.......so to more of the pt, Most of the dudes i have taked to knew less then thir own book says on a grandscale!!
The only way to properly break a eng.n is on a dyno.....w.o. that were just guessing.......piston rings need a load on tham to seat
I am done..........were wenot talking about oil?? in my old age I drift aroud like a ping pong ball in a paint shaker
Old 01-24-2004, 02:52 AM

Yep it is a ritual of some kind not sure how it came to be but as some have said it is the law for that is the way Cummins says it should be.................... and we all know they know best............................
Old 01-24-2004, 11:44 AM

Aw, you guys are full of it. It's no ritual -- I know this because my Cummins engine told me so!
Old 01-29-2004, 07:43 PM

been runnin rotella synthetic since first oil change, no problems, at work we have ran our engines up to 40k miles on an oil change, with a 20k "dry" service, we have 800k +/- on detroit series 60 with no out- of- the ordinary problems (cam and injectiors)
Old 01-30-2004, 01:49 PM

Thanks for the relplies. I didn't meant for this to turn into an oil war as there's plenty of those threads. I was just curious since this wasn't a TRUE synthetic if it would hurt thr break-in. No longer matters now anyway since I bought a case of Delo 400 at Costco.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by PADZZ
..............I was just curious since this wasn't a TRUE synthetic if it would hurt thr break-in.............
I think it's important to remember that although Rotella Synthetic's "origins" are not the same as say, Mobil 1 Delvac, side-by-side in theory, they meet the guidelines necessary to be called "synthetic". Whether this is factual.........