General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

service Writer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
service Writer?

I keep talking to this service writer at the dealership, As for the service manager and get this service writer. What exactly is a service writer? What exactly do they do? And whats the Diffrence between a service writer and service manager?
Old 02-01-2005, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It used to be that a service manager was either a promoted mechanic or someone with a lot of mechanical knowledge. The kind of guy that could step in if a mechanic was gone or had some questions.

Now, these service writer guys are just that, they write up on a work order what you tell them is wrong. They usually have limited mechanical knowledge. At my dealership, the service writer is a nice guy, but he didn't know what a lift pump or injector pump was, and I had to explain to him about fuel pressure readings and the TSB for cold weather high idle.

These guy's other function is to sell (push) "recommended services" such as cooling system flushes and the like. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I wish it was like the old days when a real "service manager" helped you. Now in most cases, that type of position is what they call a "lead technician". But they are rarely allowed to deal with the public. They usually just run the shop.