General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Salvage titles? Worth?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 08:22 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Salvage titles? Worth?

I am looking at buying a truck right now that has a salvage title. My delima is I have no idea what it is worth. The truck was partaly flooded and fixed. All electronics work find and it runs strong. There are low miles on the truck and good paint and interior. I need some imput for a good price. I would like to have the truck due to the low price and I can afford it. Any help would be nice.

Here is the truck:
1997 3500
Old 01-13-2006, 08:43 AM
Banned

Looks like it would be a solid truck...

But I think the salvage title hurts because it would make resale harder, if you had to for some reason. If you are as certian as possible that you will drive it till the Cummins shakes the Dodge parts apart, I wouldn't be to afraid of it. But with water and electrical stuff, there is the possibility of problems down the road, that could be hard to find and expensive/time consuming to fix.

In my non expert opinion, if you feel good about it, go for it. Could be a great deal. Max of maybe $8000.

My dad bought an old company truck (Ford F350, 460 5spd) with a history of major tranny problems. He got it for $1500, and figured that he would be able to get his moneys worth, and just salvage it if it messed up again. 4 years and only one starter later he swears it was the best investment he ever made.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:46 AM

Salvage vehicles go for 1/3 to 1/2 less than book!!! So a 10k truck with salvage title should sell for 5000-7000
Old 01-13-2006, 08:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RickCJ
Salvage vehicles go for 1/3 to 1/2 less than book!!! So a 10k truck with salvage title should sell for 5000-7000
See? As soon as I say something someone that knows what they are talking about shows up.

I would have guessed book to be higher than 10k... Let us know if you get it.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:52 AM

There is another thread similar to yours...here is the link to my (long) response. Most of it applies to you.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d=1#post866404

Jim
Old 01-13-2006, 08:59 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with earlier posts, it would have to be a minimum of 33% off of the going used value to make it worth your while. That salvage title will make it harder for YOU to sell in the future too.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:06 AM
Banned

You guys do answer a bunch of questions! I did some research on the seller, He sels salvage trucks with good feed back. So he should be good at fixing and reselling. I am not worried to resell the truck. Only reason I would get rid of it is for an emergency. in a few years when i buy a new one I will use this one for a pulling truck. Heck if I could find a truck that nice with out a salvage title it would be arounf 10-15k. I think i am going to offer the guy around 6500-7000. That would be a good deal. I will still find the back story to it. It might have been flodded to the bottom of the cab and only got the carpet wet or all the way to the hedliner and the oil is 90% water. If he isn't straight in the slightest way or he doesn't know the back story I will prob. not buy it. What about insurence? Cheaper or more? I did research to title it in my state and its fine just has to pass inspection, no problem there.IF anyone knows the guy that would be a plus too.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:58 AM

Whenever we are trading something in that has a salvage title we usually value it at half of what a clean titled comparable would be, but we really don't like to mess with them at all if we can help it.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:57 PM

Have a good look at it before you pay.
I had a salvage title car 10 years ago (taurus) that I paid 1/3 of the going rate for it. Had some minor glitches that I had to fix but all in all it was a great car (for a Ford). I expected less when I traded it because I paid less for it. Good luck
Old 01-13-2006, 07:13 PM

My 92 has a salvaged title, and I really do not know why. But she sure seems to be strong and solid. The frame is straight, along with the body. If I was you, I would have a good look at the frame to see if it is rusted and to see if it is straight. All of my electronics work, motor appears to be the original, and it has a salvaged title. If I was you, I would give it a shot, she just might be the right one for you.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:20 PM
Banned

I've owned so many salvage title vehicles I can't count... all ran great, drove straight, etc.

my 97 was totaled because it was in a front-ender when it was still quite new... took out the bumper/grill/lights/hood/fenders/intercooler/radiator/condenser/etc. no frame damage.

great truck, wish I still had it at times!
Old 01-13-2006, 07:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you need to find out when you need to do to be able to get the truck registered in your home state! i know in new york- it is a ***** to get a salvaged vehicle registered. the dmv inspectors go over the vehicle with a fine tooth comb to make sure it is road worthy,etc. if they find something they don't like-you have to go through the b.s. of having it fixed by their guidelines,etc and having it inspected again by the (hopefully the same) dmv inspectors,etc. also, some states only have a couple of locations to have your vehicle inspected at- by dmv inspectors. but, i would imagine a flood vehicle would be easier to get inspected compared to a vehicle with body or frame damage.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:04 PM
Banned

looked up the Title and it was not in alll of the last huricanes, still trying to get all the details. All I have to do to get it registered is have it inspected by an Indiana Police officer and thats it. I also am getting the repair records to see all the was fixed and how bad it was. It looks very clean, no surface rust on metle from salt water, no foggy wet lights or guages, and no water stains. I think the 1200 mile drive would be worth this truck. What do y'all think it is worth, i don't think much if any over 7000, maybe 7500 max.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:26 PM

Try to get the original insurance estimate. In NH, when selling salvage vehicles for repair, the original ins. estimate has to go with it, and you need to show it to the officer doing the inspection. One thing to note...much of what is listed on the estimate may be undamaged. Its pretty common for the estimate to include questionable parts even if they are undamaged, or even worse. One truck my father fixed, a '98 F-150 with a bent frame, listed close to $1300 worth of work just to the A/C system...recovery and recharge, new condensor, new hoses, and other parts. The truck didn't even have A/C!

Jim
Old 01-13-2006, 11:16 PM

holy crap!!!!do not buy from this guy~!!! i got screwed outta 1k for a deposit after he said he didnt get anything...unelievable...and eBay didnt do anything

do not buy from him please!

Quick Reply: Salvage titles? Worth?