General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Saltillo, Mexico?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People should realize that labor unions actually help all of us that are not even part of one. If it wasn't for unions people wouldn't make half what the do today. I am no expert on them, but I think you need to think again to call them senseless.
Old 03-26-2004, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by tmoore
There was a thread not too long ago, I think about the same time I had the made in America one that sugested some some start a store that only sold stuff made in america.
Check your atlas. Whether it's made in Canada or Mexico, it is made in North America. Products out of Saltillo are made to the same standards as St. Charles.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:33 PM

"If so, I was reading they have 2 shifts and can produce 650 trucks a day at peak. Somehow that does not sound right for supplying all of North America.

I have noticed in the threads that some of the order and delivery times appear to be like 2 to 3 months delivery."

The reason I started this thread was related to the above quote I made.

Some people have been talking about a long time to get delivery of their truck. I am on verge of ordering 04.5 but with possibly 3 months or more to get the truck would wreck my summer unless I keep my 01 until after I receive the new one. Also it appears there has been various parts that are in short supply. More chance that your new truck may come without all the pieces. My last 2 trucks were made at the St. Louis plant and were great quality.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:09 PM

induchman, I not even going to say anything.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:43 PM

Taco's or Sauerkraut? I think they put some Tequilia in mine its acted kinda funny since i bought it
Before long everything will be made in Mexico ,Not CHina or Japan because shipping cost are getting to high .
Old 03-27-2004, 06:41 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
TT, not sure if you are correct about that. Shipping costs are high and getting higher, but labor costs in Mexico are also jumping. One big problem down in Mexico is the unions. I have heard from many sources and also read that shortly after a big plant gets established in Mexico that they get unionized. That's when the problems start because then strikes start and the workers are always demanding more money. Quite a few plants down here have shut down as a direct cause of the unions and moved to China and other places. Even some Mexicans I have spoken to have told me that they fear what unions are doing to their country. The lower class working folk love the unions of course, until the company closes down and then they sit back stunned and wonder what happened.
BTW, if your truck is acting funny it is because it is wanting more Tequila
Old 03-27-2004, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by Mexstan
BTW, if your truck is acting funny it is because ti is wanting more Tequila
Old 03-29-2004, 09:50 AM

I took a tour of the Corona Brewery in Torreon, COAH and was impressed at the level of benefits that company provides. They may not pay their workers $24 overpaid union wages, but they do provide full medical coverage through private hospitals (not the IMSS national health), safe working conditions (it seemed no more unsafe than the Frigidaire plant I worked at in Iowa), and what I thought was pretty neat, an automobile purchase program. You pick a car that's within your price range and the company buys it for you, taking your payments out of your paycheck with no interest. Most workers must take advantage of that program since the employee parking lot was awash in brand new cars.

PS. Unions bite.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:14 PM

Stan, I think he's just PO'd because the trucks can be produced at a better quality at $4.00 hr vs $24.00 hr. Being a business owner myself, if I could reduce my cost by that much, and increase quality, I'd ship every truck with a case of Tequlia, Jose of course.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:45 PM
Chapter President

After Friday night in San Antonio, I get dizzy just thinking about Jose or any other members of his family!
Old 03-30-2004, 03:13 PM

One other thing to note, the truck is assembled in Saltillo. The parts, many of the parts at least, are made elsewhere. By other suppliers. Many of the suppliers are also common across makes of truck.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:59 AM

tmoore:
You could have gone a long time and not had to tell why you didn't order. That's a personal preference. To get into a union discusssion is the same a religion. It don't work. My 96 is from Mexico and the best vehicle I've ever owned. And your comment, I owe the union for what I earn. Propaganda works on some, but not here. I would like the think my God given abilities had a lot to do with that. I drive my truck with pride knowing where it was built, by little brown hands. Some of the best workmanship I've ever seen.

..Preston..
Old 03-31-2004, 08:04 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
turbo thom, nice post.
tmoore, I have often wondered why the union people take pride in the fact that they have helped to push wages higher which in turn forces the companies to charge more for their products which in turn causes unions to 'demand' more due to the rising cost of living et al....... A vicious circle started by the unions?
Old 03-31-2004, 10:01 AM

A little union story my dad told me.

A sub of Ohio rubber ended up going out of business because of the unions. The union kept demanding higher wages and more benefits. Management said we have given you all we can afford. The union went on strike. A few weeks later, management caved in but also gave the warning that the company may go bankrupt in a year or so. Nine months later the company filed for bankruptcy and all the workers were let go. Then nobody had a job.

Earlier in the last century, unions may have had their place, but now I think they are not needed. If you want more money and better benefits, work harder and smarter. If that doesn’t work, find another place to work.

Just my opion.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:18 AM

AaronT,

To address your question, I think the production is keeping up with orders. It's the shipping that is slowing things down.

To give you an example - I ordered my truck 6 Jan 03. The truck was built 28 Jan 03. Not too bad - three weeks to get it in the system and get it built. I didn't take delivery of my truck until 4 Mar 03. That's 5 weeks to get it from the plant to VA.

Quick Reply: Saltillo, Mexico?