General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

?'s Low jack, Ext warrenty & Gap insurance

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
?'s Low jack, Ext warrenty & Gap insurance

Hey Gang, I'm finalizing a 2005 Quad cab Diesel purchase this Monday but wanted to get your feedback about purchasing some of the following items and what your experience and views are.

1)Low jack on a car 450.00
Theft recovery system

2)Extended warrenty for 1050.00
Covers everything that basic Dodge warrenty does not cover

3)Gap insurance for 450.00
Example Truck purchase 35,000 then you drive the car off the lot and drive it for six months and now your car is only worth 22,000 (example only) Then the car is damaged or gets totaled in an accident, act of God or theft and you still owe 5,000 on the car - this is where gap insurance comes in and pays the balance of the car. Because your regular insurance only covers the ACV (actual car worth 22,000) the remaining balance of 5,000 that you would normally have to pay would be now paid by the secondary insurance GAP. So there is no money out of your pocket only the original cost of 450.00 for the GAP insurance.

Thanks for all of your members support in advance!

God Bless!
Old 07-08-2005, 09:14 PM

I had never bought gap insurance until I bought my diesel. Dealer made me a deal{normal charge is $650.00, told them I wasn't sure I needed to do that, they dropped the price to $250.00 if I would take it so I did just to cover my rear. Extended warranty, I have had some trucks.cars with, some without. If it is a reputable company then you should be ok. Check out the company with the Better Business Bureau BBB.org. I have no experience with Lo-jack. Hope that info helps.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:51 PM

Weeelllll, Look at my sig. We had the truck for one day short of a month. I got gap through my insurance co. It equated to the same increase as the payment but I could remove it once I was out of the hole. Now, they are trying to tell me they will not cover anything that was rolled out of my previous vehicle. Also, they use what they determine to be fair market value, not KBB, NADA, ect... They have not made an offer yet but indications are they are going to try to short change me by several thousand $ (read 6,000 to 10,000) compared to what they sell for.

My point make sure you read the fine print. Make sure they give you the fine print. I think I will be O.K. because of my documentation and some investigating. Hopefully it will not take lawyers. Any large financial deals require CYA. And then CYA again. I thought I had. We'll see what the results are.

Also I started a pool in this forum a few pages back. If you could vote on that it may help me in dealing with this issue.

Randy
Old 07-09-2005, 09:55 AM

Lo-jack only works in certain areas but it's well worth it where it does work . I read once of a guy that reported his Mercedes stolen in FL . He had bought it used and didn't know the previous owner had Lo-Jack installed . The police learned this through the VIN , turned the Lo-Jack on and found the vehicle in a building owned by the person reporting it stolen . There may be GPS systems that work better than Lo-Jack now .