General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Royal Purple OR Amsoil. Your thought's, pros & con's......

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 08:33 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Royal Purple OR Amsoil. Your thought's, pros & con's......

Ok, first don't beat me over the head for asking the question . I know it's been talked about, but here is the anwser I want from you guy's running the stuff.
PLEASE, I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ANY BASHING OF EIGTHER PRODUCT!

1. Go total syn. or go with a blend?
2. I run from hot weather in the summer to cold weather in the winter.
3. Price differance between the two.
4. How many miles are you running between changes.

I plan on changing everything over, Eng., Manual 6 spd, T-case, Power steering and Diff's. I have a book of both products so looking the part #'s up is easy. Thanks for all your input.

Dog
Old 01-15-2004, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Take a look at this post

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=37390

Interesting point on the choice of oil.

I have no opinion though, just thought I'd point that out.

phox
Old 01-15-2004, 11:43 PM

Smile Amsoil & Redline here

Alskadog, I've tried several oils and have decided sticking with Brand X all the way through the rig isn't necessarily the best choice for every component.

That being said I run Amsoil most of the way through my truck. The only exception is the 6-speed, which I use Redline MTL. I ran Amsoil 5W30 in my last truck's 6speed and it worked fine, then switched to the Redline which worked much better and is designed for trannys (unlike the Amsoil). I looked at going with Royal Purple Synchromax in this truck but when I downloaded the specs and saw it was considerably thinner than the Redline MTL (even thinner than ATF!!!) I chose Redline again.

I run Amsoil 15W40 in my engine and 75W90 in the axle. When it hit 19 below zero here and I wasn't plugged in the engine built oil pressure quick and sounded fine. I was pleased with how well it worked. I will never run 5W30 becase I want a year-round oil and we have seen temperatures above 110 degrees.

Hope this helps. What's right for me isn't right for everyone, just sharing what works for me

Vaughn

Edit: I forgot to add that I changed my Amsoil 15W40 every 20,000 miles using 3 Stratapore filters per change and used oil analysis on my last truck.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Royal Purple OR Amsoil. Your thought's, pros & con's......

Originally posted by AKDSLDOG
Ok, first don't beat me over the head for asking the question . I know it's been talked about, but here is the anwser I want from you guy's running the stuff.
PLEASE, I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ANY BASHING OF EIGTHER PRODUCT!

1. Go total syn. or go with a blend?
2. I run from hot weather in the summer to cold weather in the winter.
3. Price differance between the two.
4. How many miles are you running between changes.

I plan on changing everything over, Eng., Manual 6 spd, T-case, Power steering and Diff's. I have a book of both products so looking the part #'s up is easy. Thanks for all your input.

Dog
#1. Looking at my sig you can see what I prefer. No bashing from me; I think ANY syn oil is better than the tar that can be found in many sumps during the winter time. Especially at the temps that you're living with in the winter. I am currently running Amsoil, M1 and Redline in my truck and car. I'm planning on weaning the Mustang off M1 and go to Amsoil only to reduce the amount of different oil jugs around the house. I still use a good dino in the boat.

#2. If you're going to do extended oil intervals, you want something that will work both summer and winter - what's your owners manual recommend?. In most geographic areas, with CTD's I don't think it really matters what kind of oil you run in them. I've read that from oil analysis you can easily exceed the OEM's recommendations safely. But in Alaska? I honestly can't believe that anyone in the last 15 years or so would run anything but syn oil in the extreme cold, if only for the low temp flow properties. Does your truck require CH-4 or CI-4? FWIW, I use Amsoil 15W-40HD/Marine in the CTD.

#3. Price difference? Give them both a call and ask. I'd guess its pretty much a wash on any cost differences (comparing syn to syn and blends to blends). Shipping may vary up in your neck of the woods. I'd also PM Mike Sparks (a site supporter here for Amsoil). Either way, you'll probably have it shipped to your door, rather than being able to buy lets say Delvac1 locally. In any event, I can get Amsoil shipped to my front door cheaper than I can get M1.

#4. I'm in the middle of my warranty period so you can guess what I'll be following. But like I said earlier, I've read where guys have done oil analysis on 2nd gens running dino oil easily for 10-15k intervals with a new filter and top-off halfway. Syn can stretch that further.

FWIW, I reluctantly ran dino last winter "for beak-in" reasons, and couldn't wait to get the tar out of it for this winter. I'm glad I did.
Old 01-16-2004, 05:42 PM

Here's what I'm using:

Oil: Delo 400
Diffs: Royal Purple 85W-140
Power Steering: Royal Purple Max-EX
Tranny: Amsoil
Transfer Case: Amsoil

I think that covers it all.... lot's of choices out there.. just research them and choose what your most comfortable with...

Tony
Old 01-16-2004, 08:00 PM
Chapter President

I hear this little deal from a few people saying NOT to run a full syn in the eng. ...Is there something cummins has differed from other diesel's? I would like to run RedLine MTL in the tranny, but yet to find a place that carries it up here and don't know who to contact in the states for it, anyone know anybody?

I am leaning twords the Amsoil, a guy at work will sell it to me for dealer cost, figured I can't beat that, unless Sparks can do better. I don't care what anyone says about the life of any oil between changes, there is no way I would run anymore than 10,000 miles per fluid/filter changes. I hear these guy's running 30,40 and even 50K miles inbetween changes! To me thats ! I will give a shout to Sparks and see what he can do.

A NAME AND A # FOR REDLINE MTL DEALER'S WOULD BE GREAT, THANKS!

Dog
Old 01-16-2004, 08:21 PM

Other than the temperatures that you are running, there is no need for a special oil. You may need this for the low temperatures. I run Delo 15/40 and tearing down the engine at 240,000 it was spotlessly clean, no sludge of any kind in the engine or the sump of the pan. I change it after 7000 and it is usually 7300 or 7400. I was surprised at how clean it was compared to other diesels that I have torn down. The bearings reflected the adequate lubrication.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:34 PM
Chapter President

I would like to change due to the cold winters, I park in the garage at home (60*) but after 10hrs at work outside in -20/-30 it growns and grunts for the first few miles. 6 speed doesn't like the cold, hard/sticky shifting. It would be a benifet to me to change over.

-24F THIS MORNING ON THE WAY TO WORK.

-24F TIMES 80MPH IS AROUND HMMMMMMM, -150ISH!
Old 01-16-2004, 09:25 PM

I hear this little deal from a few people saying NOT to run a full syn in the eng. ...Is there something cummins has differed from other diesel's? I would like to run RedLine MTL in the tranny, but yet to find a place that carries it up here and don't know who to contact in the states for it, anyone know anybody?

I am leaning twords the Amsoil, a guy at work will sell it to me for dealer cost, figured I can't beat that, unless Sparks can do better. I don't care what anyone says about the life of any oil between changes, there is no way I would run anymore than 10,000 miles per fluid/filter changes. I hear these guy's running 30,40 and even 50K miles inbetween changes! To me thats ! I will give a shout to Sparks and see what he can do.

A NAME AND A # FOR REDLINE MTL DEALER'S WOULD BE GREAT, THANKS!

Dog
Dog, look here for a Redline dealer:
http://www.redlineoil.com/dealers.htm Kinda slim pickin's in AK, but you've got UPS right?

I'm curious where/who said NOT to run full syn in an engine. Other than higher cost, what was the rationale?
Old 01-16-2004, 10:34 PM
Administrator

I hear these guy's running 30,40 and even 50K miles inbetween changes! To me thats ! I will give a shout to Sparks and see what he can do.
Dog
Well, I'm a synthetic dealer and one of those that runs 25 to 50000 miles on oil changes. I even ran the same oil in my 89 diesel for 60000 miles (4 1/2 years), ran the same oil in my 95 diesel for two years, and I know another dealer in NC that has over 300000 miles on his oil by now. Guess he's too. My 89 had 142000 when I traded it and is still on the road across the river happliy motoring away.

What some people don't realize is this is not exactly the same oil all the time. I still change the main filter on my dual remote every 5000 and the bypass filter every 20000 miles. That's a full quart replaced every time I replace the main filter and near three quarts every time I change both filters. Then there's the little bit of oil that the little six uses and a few minor oil leaks and blow by out the tube and wiping off the dip stick and so on. My crank case with the dual remote and hoses holds 14 quarts also.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with changing what we call dino oil all the time. I have a friend at work that drives 89 miles one way to work and he changes oil about every 3000 miles or three weeks. I personally prefer not to lay around under my truck that much, some people don't mind it.

As long as you sample and keep an eye on the TBN and a few other critical contaminants, there is nothing wrong with extended drain intervals. There is also absolutely nothing wrong with changing dino oil every 3-5000 miles, the oil companies love you too. The bottom line is that you have to do what suits you since it is your truck and I do what suits me since it is my truck. I have had nothing but good luck with synthetic oil. The truck I brought home from Arkansas for my son has near 218000 miles on it and has had synthetic since the first oil change. He is running 360 HP at the rear wheels and 750 torque. With that mileage, it can't be all bad. Cummins pulled the head off his engine at 200000 miles to replace a head gasket, due to too much boost, and the cylinders looked like new. The pattern was still visable and there was no ring groove at all.

Can't be all that bad. Run what makes you feel best but don't knock the others.

Joel
Old 01-17-2004, 01:35 AM

I'm using Redline MTL in the 6 spd, Redline atf in the transfercase, and 75w-90 in the diffs. The transmission shifts better with the Redline than with the oem sludge. The rest, seems to have less rolling resistance, it is more likely to roll down the drive if I forget to set the brake...

Still running Delo 400 in the engine, I change it every 3k to 4k miles. If I lived in a cold climate I would use an appropriate synthetic.

If you want to use synthetic and extended oil drain intervals, be sure to take oil samples at regular intervals, change as required.

Just my .02 on this.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:39 PM
Chapter President

Originally posted by Dieseldude4x4

Can't be all that bad. Run what makes you feel best but don't knock the others.

Joel

Joel, I never said you were nor anyone else for changing at those intervals. I myself would not go that long, it's my choice/matter of opinion. "To me, it is , but that doesn't mean "you" or "anyone else" are wrong for doing so. Sorry if my post was taken wrongly.

Dog
Old 01-17-2004, 01:43 PM
Chapter President

Originally posted by bulabula
Dog, look here for a Redline dealer:
http://www.redlineoil.com/dealers.htm Kinda slim pickin's in AK, but you've got UPS right?

I'm curious where/who said NOT to run full syn in an engine. Other than higher cost, what was the rationale?

We have all the same shipping up here, UPS, Fed Ex, yada yada. Thanks for the link!
As for "not using full syn" read this https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=37390
He never gave a reason, I have herd this else where to, but never been givin a reason why not to.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:58 AM

I have my mighty Cummins a part and I'm rebuilding it right now due to a turbo that didn't like the HP I was trying to get out of it.

I have run AmsOil 15W/40 Oil for better than 130K and have always been really happy with the oil analysis results. But after seeing how clean and how good the inside of this motor was I was even more sold on the AmsOil!!! There was now bearing wear the cylinders still had there cross hatchs, there is no cylinder taper, And no wear on the camshafts or lifters.

This motor has been hop up since it had 36K over 400 RWHP for 50K and for 15K over 500 RWHP. I tow my TT and a Back hoe regularly and it is my daily driver running right at least 50 miles a day getting me back and forth to work.

I had a single bypass filter set up changed the full flow filter every 7.5K and the bypass every 15K. I did analysis every 7.5K. I changed to AmsOil at 35K and ran that oil for 60K, the next batch for 45K, and when the turbo went south the truck had 168K on it.

I hate having to run regular dyno oil to break in the motor after the rebuild. And can't wait to get the AmsOil back in it.

I also run amsOil in every thing else!!!
Old 01-20-2004, 03:47 PM

I'm changing shortly (as soon as all arrives)

Engine: Amsoil 15-40w Heavy Duty Diesel and Marine Oil and will be running the Stratapore Oil Filter (LF-16035). Will change oil filter at 7500 miles and then oil and filter at 15k. This way I'm covered by both A & B Schedules in my owner's manual.

6 spd Transmission - REDLINE MTL ( cause it's specifically made for transmissions) Cheapest I found $7.00 a quart at
http://www.myoilshop.com/AutoPrds.html

Frt and Read End: Amsoil Series 2000 75w-90 Gear Oil

Transaxle: Amsoil Universal Auto Trans Fluid

Air Filter: FOAM AMSOIL, either the TS 106 or TS 189 ( when they give me the correct part number)

Fuel Filter; FleetGuard FS 19579...

Oil Filters and Fuel Filters coming from Geno's Garage at the 4/2/1 kit... http://www.genosgarage.com/

Only 6000 miles on my baby!

Quick Reply: Royal Purple OR Amsoil. Your thought's, pros & con's......