General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Royal Purple or Amsoil: Which is best?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
catmandoo-

Napa carries Royal Purple. Where are you at? The Napa in Iowa City is where I get mine. They don't have it out on display, I just ask for it and they have it in back. Stewarts Engines in Cedar Rapids also carries it.

-Muzzy
Old 08-26-2005, 08:19 PM

Which is better, Royal Purple or Amsoil? Having tried both, I can honestly say - Redline.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:40 PM

Why is Redline better? I've used their 2 stroke oil before in my dirt bikes.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Gear Poet
Which is better, Royal Purple or Amsoil? Having tried both, I can honestly say - Redline.
I'm a big fan of Redline as well. But I'm starting to balk at $30/gallon!!!!

jlh
Old 08-30-2005, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by HOHN
Given the choice between brand A and brand RP I'd take the Royal Purple.

There's the fact that RP makes some of their own additives, while someone like Amsoil just buys whatever from Lubrizol and the like.
Justin, I would question this fact. there are very few companys that can or do make additives. RP may buy additives separately and blend their own additive packages...but I would be suprised by that also.
And...IMO, Lubrizol makes some of the finest, and most expensive, additive packages in the world. ("harder TBN's & better dispersants/anti-oxidants). No shame in buying there.

Both Amsoil and Royal Purple make products that are a cut above national brands. My personal feeling is RP is stronger in their Gearlubes...and Amsoil is stronger in their engine oils. I do not believe RP adds moly to their oils...Schaeffers does...I know of no other company doing so.
The biggest problem Amsoil has is not their product, it's the lack of real knowledge of their independent sales force. Misrepresentation, through ignorance, makes them their own worst enemy. It's important to remember, we buy the product...not the sales rep.

To me, API Certification is a MINIMUM standard for acceptable oil and not something to be sought after...but that is a subject that has been beat hard, in the past...so I will stop there.

RJ
Old 08-30-2005, 10:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Agreed. Lubrizol makes some good stuff, and there's certainly no shame to be had in using their stuff. I didn't mean to imply that Lubrizol wasn't top notch.

I was just saying that since so many oil makers use stuff from Lubrizol and additive makers, then perhaps a "proprietary" additive like RP's Synerlec may net some performance improvement.

Likewise with LE's gear oils. LE bases the claims of it's gear oil superiority largely on the performance of its additives of Almasol, Synolec, and Monolec and such.

Since most smaller oil companies are just blenders that buy their base stocks and additives from different manufacturers, it *may* give a maker a potential performance advantage if they are not limited to an off-the-shelf component for their oil formulation.

I agree that Amsoil is a good oil hampered by poor marketing and sales.

I think Redline uses quite a bit of Moly in the engine oils (like 3x what is needed). The old formulations of Rotella and Delo didn't have Moly, but the CI-4+ versions do (or was it the other way around?).

I've only used Amsoil products a couple times (in my gasser) and was nothing less than impressed.

As for API certs, maybe you remember my lengthy post on TDR concerning this very topic??

JLH
Old 08-30-2005, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by HOHN
Agreed. Lubrizol makes some good stuff, and there's certainly no shame to be had in using their stuff. I didn't mean to imply that Lubrizol wasn't top notch.
I was just saying that since so many oil makers use stuff from Lubrizol and additive makers, then perhaps a "proprietary" additive like RP's Synerlec may net some performance improvement.JLH
I am not priviledged to the inner boardroom meetings of RP...but I WOULD be willing to bet a fair amount of money that their proprietary additives are Marketing hype and not all that unique.

This is often done to try and separate ones product from the competition. It can be as simple as Amsoil adding their extra .005% Zinc and calling it "Synzinc" (I'm making this up)...than advertising "only Amsoil has Synzinc...and you have to have it too".

Just guessing, of course, but I have been involved in such marketing techniques. They are not lies...just an attempt at creating a need by adding a little more of a good additive....giving it a fancy name.....and than claiming only your company has it...which is absolutely true!

I personally believe that adding Liquid Moly to an oil is the same kind of attempted diferentiation...and does nothing to improve performance or longevity of an engine. Solid Moly is a great ingredient.....but I would not want it (or teflon, or any other solid) in an engine oil. All the testing , of which I am aware, has never shown liquid moly to be benificial.

Just my $.02, as always!

RJ
Old 08-30-2005, 12:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know if RP's additives are their own, a proprietary mix purchased from Lubrizol or Oronite, etc. However, I DO know that RP's background is that of a supplier of custom lubricants for challenging industrial applications. Their compressor lubricants have been used in the oil and gas industry in problem situations for decades.

Rusty
Old 01-25-2011, 03:46 PM

RP vs Amsoil

Hi folks, I,m a first timer to this forum, I joined after reading some of the posts about Royal Purple vs Amsoil. I must say upfront, I have spent the last 40 years in some type of mechanical enviornment, first with the military and after retiring, some twenty years with the automotive repair and maintenance industry running my own shop.
All things mechanical, be it a state of the art weapons system, or the latest and greatest offering from whatever favorite auto, light truck manufacturer you care to name are judged by a set of specifications.
Oils and filters, gear lubes and tranny fluids, tires, computers and anything else, down to the smallest piece of hardware, is no differerent, there is a specification somewhere describing what that particular peice of whatever is judged by.
Look-up the specifications of the fluid you are contemplating using and when you do , throw out the BS and go with a product that proves through industry standard tests it will do what it is designed to do.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:05 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
I replaced my gear oil from stock to Amsoil Severe Gear 85-90@9,000K. The stock fill was jet black and stunk bigtime. At 30,000K I pulled the center plug momentarily on my Mag Hytec and oil is golden in color with no noticeable smell over brand new. Conversely,I changed from stock oil to RP in my Dana 70 on the '98.5 and 20K later it was black and stunk? Same locale and load.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
Both are good oils, Amsoil isn't API certified though where RP is.
Where did you get this information from? Which oil specifically?
The only oil that is not API certified is the Dominator racing oils.

Originally Posted by Cyborrg
I heard from the friend of a reliable source that Amsoil is owned by Ford....
Source? That's incorrect.

Originally Posted by RowJ
My personal feeling is RP is stronger in their Gearlubes.
Here's a good study to read. Although it is published by Amsoil, the gear lube doesn't hit the top of every category, yet is near the top of every one.
https://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2457.pdf

----
Old 01-25-2011, 07:04 PM

I've used both and have been pretty pleased with them. I've used RP gear oil, and for Amsoil I've used their 15W-40 diesel and marine oil, as well as the 10w-30 oil for gas motors. The diesel oil I have run in a 7.3 Excursion for the past three oil changes. 12k, 12k, and 16k, with only 1 Amsoil full flow filter for each change. I've had UOA's done on each of those runs and the oil has always held up well. On this change I'm running a Fleetguard Venturi combo filter, so we'll if it makes any difference or not. I typically change in July.

Also, I would second waiting a good longer on going to synthetic, particularly if you haven't really pulled anything yet. Hell I'm at 63.5k now and I'm still running dino, but normally I probably would've changed over around 30k. That's when I saw my first mileage boost.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:53 PM

Never tried A in an engine but I know RP works great - I used it for several years. It got so expensive, I switched to Shafer semi syn and it's doing as well (UOAs) as anything I've tried. I've definately had MUCH better luck with RP in the boxes than A - no comparison. Craig
Old 01-25-2011, 10:39 PM

Both are good oils, Amsoil isn't API certified though where RP is.
This fact alone would be a major consideration for me if my engine was still under warranty.

Please check your facts. Amsoil is not only API certified- (all except Dominator as noted by DOTT - but Amsoil was the First synthetic AND the first API certified synthetic. RP is a good oil but does not recommend extended change interval and to my knowledge will not warrant your engine against oil related failure.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This thread is also over 4 years old.

Quick Reply: Royal Purple or Amsoil: Which is best?