General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Researching for buying a diesel truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Researching for buying a diesel truck

I'm looking to buy a diesel truck in the next 3 months. It will be a used truck. My requirements are quad cab, manual, and 4x4. I'm obviously partial to dodges, I've got some questions though. I've searched a lot and I still can't get a definite answer.

I don't want a 1st gen truck, I want either a 2nd gen or 3rd gen. I've read a good bit about the vp44 problems and would like to avoid that whole mess. So my options are 1994-1998 or 2003-current. The 98' 12v's have the 53 block though correct? (Which I should stay away from). So it's more like 1994-1997 and 2003-newer.

While browsing prices on autotrader I find several 12v trucks for around 15K with low miles and that match my requirements. I also find some 2003 ctds for an additional 5k. So right now, I'm leaning to spending 5,000 more and getting a truck that is 6 years newer. Are there any major issues I need to be aware of with the 2003 model? I've read a lot about u-joints in these trucks going pretty easily, I won't be doing any heavy wheeling with the truck though. The truck will be used as a dd and tow a rockcrawler on a trailer every once and a while. I don't plan on bombing the truck, maybe an intake/exhaust and chip. Which brings me to my next point.

Since the truck will be used mostly as a dd I want to get good mileage. From my readings the 12v can get around 18-21. The 3rd gen trucks get that too correct? What would my mileage be with intake/exhaust/chip on a 2003 5.9L? About the same as a 12v right?

Basically, I'd like ya'll's insight. Are there any major problems with the 2003 because it's the first year of a new generation? I know the 12v's are bulletproof but are the 5.9L trucks comparable? Thanks, God bless.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:13 AM

It's Hard To Beat Bullet Proof
Old 07-06-2007, 10:22 AM

Stock, the 12 valve should get the better mileage. You'll also have less power and might be lacking some creature comforts.

One thing to consider, if you can build a rockcrawler, then a 12valve would be an engine that you could do most of the work (if not all) yourself.

Be leary of low mileage diesels, might mean that they have predominantly short miles racked up. I got my 98 with 53Kmiles on it and I've been dealing with issues for a while now and its annoying, I should have just gotten one with 100Kmiles or more thats gone through all the maintenance that I get to now go through.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:02 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad,

Seriously consider the '03 and '04 with the HO 305. Great engine with lots of power and no cat. Has the cp3 pump. No block issues. They have the six speed.

They get the best mileage of the 3rd gens but slightly less than a 12 valve.

The third gens are very nice trucks and for a daily driver you'll never get tired of being in it. And, finally, they have the biggest brakes. The brakes are amazing.

The weak link is the lift pump but it's easily upgraded.

The 12 valves are really appealing too if you want a simple injection system with fewer electronics. They are really reliable but have less power and a possible KDP issue. The cabs are an earlier generation and, in my opinion, are not quite as nice as the 3rd gens. They are also cheaper.

John
Old 07-06-2007, 12:44 PM
Muted User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3rd gen problems from experience, make sure the front tires dont set like this / \ cause those are hub bearings or the ball joints, front driveshaft for vibration or play, front seal and converter on the automatic cause fluid will be all over the bottom of the tranny, flywheel "knock" on a 6 or 5 speed (came with either in 03) from a bad dual mass flywheel, steering box covered in fluid and trac bar loose or wore out and the turbo dosent like lots of boost. you want a 12 valve for simplicity, KDP is a 75 dollar fix.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:32 AM
Chapter President

If you want a 12v then get a 97 that was the best year. I had three of them. If you want a 3rd gen I've only had 04.5 and a 05. The qcab is the main reason with a familly of 6 the older clubcabs were to small not to mention hard to access with no side door. I'm not sure the quiet motor is great it is in some ways but there's nothing like a straight pipe on a 12v. Depending on what kind of mileage is on the truck I was price a 99 2500 4x4 59k mile 6spd truck for 17k$ a few weeks ago. Then again I got my 05 with 131k highway miles for 19.8k with all the extras in my sig. What exactly are you looking for? I'm always looking and know a few places you might look.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Tree DR
What exactly are you looking for? I'm always looking and know a few places you might look.
I'm leaning towards an 03-newer. I want 4x4, quad cab, and standard. I'd prefer a shortbed but it's not a big deal.

That's a smokin' deal on that 05'. Good catch.

Does anyone know the cost per mile for operating a diesel truck compared to a gas vehicle?
Old 07-07-2007, 08:59 AM
Chapter President

Cost per mile?

Originally Posted by madbull
I'm leaning towards an 03-newer. I want 4x4, quad cab, and standard. I'd prefer a shortbed but it's not a big deal.

That's a smokin' deal on that 05'. Good catch.

Does anyone know the cost per mile for operating a diesel truck compared to a gas vehicle?
Totally depends on what your doing with it. Daily driver then take the cost of diesel 2.75 and divide it by 18mpg = 15.3cents permile. Gas 2.90 / 18mpg that's a stretch for most gasers = 16.2cents permile. Of course oil and other maintenance will vary by truck and driver. If your pulling loads the diesel mpg will be better for sure, and you will be happier with the power.
I just saw a 03 QC 4x4 3/4 SB white 116k auto for 20,995$ and a 04 same set up black 102k for 23,950$ There was also a 03 1ton QC 4x4 dually 6spd with129k for 22,950. That's a few.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:40 PM

I got my 98.5 off of Craigslist.org. I can't complain about the price either.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Wetspirit
Mad,

Seriously consider the '03 and '04 with the HO 305. Great engine with lots of power and no cat. Has the cp3 pump. No block issues. They have the six speed.

They get the best mileage of the 3rd gens but slightly less than a 12 valve.

The third gens are very nice trucks and for a daily driver you'll never get tired of being in it. And, finally, they have the biggest brakes. The brakes are amazing.

The weak link is the lift pump but it's easily upgraded.

The 12 valves are really appealing too if you want a simple injection system with fewer electronics. They are really reliable but have less power and a possible KDP issue. The cabs are an earlier generation and, in my opinion, are not quite as nice as the 3rd gens. They are also cheaper.

John
x2--if I were to do it all over again, that's what I'd do...

jh
Old 07-07-2007, 11:17 PM

In terms of the 12Valves, I will chip in with some experance from my '96 model.

Frist - it's reliable, engine wise, and the truck's not bad, but with 334k on it and 10 years of use, the pitmanarm/idler, the ball joints, the rear drum rotors & slave cylinder, the radiator, the steering box, the starter, the fuel supply/return lines and sending unit, the A/C Compressor/condensor & dryer and the exhaust have all been replaced in the last three years. This makes the point that after a while, components just start wearing out. It's likely more cost-effective to go with a newer rig and put less into it, than to have to keep up with an older unit (that you don't plan to BOMB) and have a less-valuable truck in the end. Good luck - just my $.02