General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Red vs Yellow jerry cans

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red vs Yellow jerry cans

Is there any real difference between the red "gasoline" and the yellow "diesel" plastic jerry cans? At least any difference other than color? I need to buy a few foan upcoming hunt in a remote area and the red ones are sure a lot cheaper than the yellow ones. As long as I'm careful not to mix the fuel types, can I use a red one to carry diesel fuel? Is there any functional reason not to?
Old 09-11-2007, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
You really shouldn't put anything other than what is marked on the can. The plastic itself isn't any different other than the dye. You may know what is in there but that what if someone else grabbed it?
Old 09-11-2007, 09:39 AM

I had a pump turned off on me before because I had a blue race can which I was putting gas in. I see no problem with using a different colored can, most people don't what the colors stand for anyways. I'd label if you have multiple cans with different fuels in it.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:50 AM

I will only be using them with diesel and have no reason to even put gasoline in a can. I plan on spraypainting the side of the red can yellow and writing diesel on it.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:22 AM

They work fine with no problem.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:25 AM
Banned

I just use the red cans. I just wrote in marker what is in the can... gas, diesel, mixed gas (chainsaw, weedwacker)
Old 09-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jrs_dodge_diesel
You really shouldn't put anything other than what is marked on the can. The plastic itself isn't any different other than the dye. You may know what is in there but that what if someone else grabbed it?
Yup, someone else won't know what's in the can. Just like the person who was stealing gas cans from the campground, until he stole one of my red cans with diesel in it. Sure makes a gas engine run like crap and smoke.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:45 AM

I'd avoid the headache and just buy the yellow cans. They're only a few bucks more.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is actually illegal to put Diesel in a Gas can or vise versa. You are only alloud to put in the can what is labeled on it.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:56 AM

I have (10) 5 gal. Red cans, my cheap extra tank, when I need one. If I put gas in one for ATV, I put silver duct tape on it. That way, I can go back & forth when needed.
I have had no issues with the jugs, they are a good solution for extra capacity.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:51 PM

i used to drive an old ford with no gauges in in so i had a jerry can of gas in the back with a gallon or two just in case, some one stole it but put the can back so i but a bunch of water in it the second time, they stole it again but after that nobody touched my stuff again
Old 09-11-2007, 09:03 PM

i went to buy a gas can the other day, and the gas cans (red) were $5 more than a blue k-1 can. both 5 gallon cans.... i bought a blue one, i wanted it for mixed gas anyways.

so now my employees (landscaping) know that the blue can has mixed gas and the red cans have straight gas.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 06 DIESEL
It is actually illegal to put Diesel in a Gas can or vise versa. You are only alloud to put in the can what is labeled on it.
Does that mean that it's illegal to put anything except Jerry in a Jerry can? What if I paint yellow and blue stripes on my red can? What can I carry in it then - 1/3 gas, 1/3 diesel, & 1/3 kerosene?
Old 09-12-2007, 02:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 12valve@heart
What can I carry in it then - 1/3 gas, 1/3 diesel, & 1/3 kerosene?
I think if you are careful when slo-w-ly pouring them in, they probably will not mix, so you can have 3-in-1 container BUT - you need to remember the order you put them in, so that Kerosene would come out first, then Diesel, then Gas... easy to get confused
-P
Old 09-13-2007, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by cowboy_trucker
i used to drive an old ford with no gauges in in so i had a jerry can of gas in the back with a gallon or two just in case, some one stole it but put the can back so i but a bunch of water in it the second time, they stole it again but after that nobody touched my stuff again
HAHAHAA... I did the EXACT same thing a couple of years ago. I lived in an apartment in another town. The 5 gal. gas can in my service truck kept getting emptied out, but the can was ALWAYS put back in my truck. I filled it with distillate (well drip) and waited. Sure enough, a couple of days later, it was empty. That evening, I came in the apartment and there was this guy working on his truck a couple of doors down. I couldn't help it, I struck up a conversation about his troubles and he told be it was trying to drag him thru redlights, the engine was idling really high, running hot...etc... He worked on it for about a week and finally got it driveable. Engine started smoking shortly thereafter, but my fuel can never got robbed again.
I kinda felt bad but my sympathy was tempered by the fact that he WAS stealing.

Quick Reply: Red vs Yellow jerry cans