General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

PSD with major turbo whine ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 01:18 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PSD with major turbo whistle ??

yesterday when I was waiting out in a parking lot for the wife a fellow jumped in his PSD about 5 spots up when he started it it let out a really high pitched kind of like no silencer ring times 100 sound I didnt even think the noise was coming from his truck because it was so loud
I looked around for a while and couldent quite place the noise........
Then he began to back up you talk about major it was unbeleavable it was so loud you guys probly wont even beleave it ,but I nearly had to cover my boys ears...yep that loud.... no lie when he pulled out of the parking lot he really got in to it and man did that thing amaze me . I have no idea what that guy had done I didnt even know turbos could whistle that loud it must of had a blow horn attached to it or something
He walked pass the truck if I knew his truck was like that I would of stoped him and asked what he did
I knew it was his truck he had that PSD swagger to em' when he saw me

well yours might whistle louder
but thats it bub.

has anyone heard that whisle Im talking about?
I wonder how there doing it?
Old 08-22-2004, 02:09 AM

I've heard that unusual whistle myself...although it wasn't so loud that I thought about plugging my ears. The truck had a lift kit and oversize tires, so I knew the guy had some sorta engine/tranny mods. But the turbo sounded chirpy at idle...kinda like the turbo on a Deuce-and-a-half (the military 2 1/2 ton cargo/infantry truck). I've also heard some engine/exhaust mods that made it sound a lot like a V-8 gasser under acceleration.
Old 08-22-2004, 06:52 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
It's the VGT turbo on the 6.0 PSD that makes all the noise. There are moveable vanes in the exhaust housing of the turbo that allow the computer to vary the "size" of the housing. It acts like a small housing at low rpm for quick response and no smoke, and acts like a big housing at high rpm for better fuel economy. So at low speed the turbo is spinning very fast, which makes all that noise. He porbably had an aftermarket intake on there too.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:09 AM
abb

Well I put a cold air system on mine and the whistle was so loud that I also put a TAG on it to quieten it down and that was with the ring in place!It made it a lot better,good thing cause I was going to take the air pac off hurt my ears to much. But people still look up before I pass to see what is coming at them
Old 08-22-2004, 07:44 AM

I have heard such a noise myself. There is an exhaust system that has a whistle built into it that makes such a noise, but its just a whistle. Some people like it, I am not some people.
Old 08-22-2004, 03:14 PM

With the VGT turbo and 4" or even 5" exhaust and a aftermarket airfilter it will whistle like crazy. It will make yall cummins boys say what the heck? It makes it whistle so loud because of its building boost at a very low RPM cause of the variable fin angle.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
They are louder than anything I ever heard when set up like that. I personally LOVE turbo whistle but not that loud.
Old 08-22-2004, 06:35 PM

My vote is on the IGV's (Inlet Guide Vanes) as the noise source.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:15 PM

I don't like all that whistle noise either. That would drive me nuts if I had a truck like that!
Old 08-22-2004, 11:00 PM

my friend had one before he toasted his tranny , his turbo was LOUD, i got a ride in it once and it just gets to you after about 10 min. sounds cool just going by but other that that its just to loud. he told me he had a chip, exhuast and intake. he also had the lift and tires. some of you guys might have seen him at the bay area pulls in north california, nice guy named pat. he toasted the tranny and sold the truck, i tried to get him to get a dodge but he got a 94 chevvy gggaassserr and bombed it. now thats a new one; owned and ford powerjoke and it made me go back to a gassser .

chris
Old 08-23-2004, 01:13 PM

I heard one dyno back in Feb. in Indy. It was a tan stroke that sounded sweet.