General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

PowerStroke Mystery Meltdown

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 09:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Post PowerStroke Mystery Meltdown

I was talking to a PowerStroke owner, and for whatever reason, he felt the need to tell me about his buddy's PowerStroke woes.

It seems that this fellow was towing in the mountains and his engine locked up. It was under warranty and went back to the dealer. The engine was pulled down and they found the third cylinder back, on one side (he didn't know which side), was cooked, melted. Ford was called and they told the dealer not to do anything else! Ford sent out a couple of engineers to examine the engine. They hooked up the computer, because supposedly they could tell exactly what was going on in the engine when this occurred, but it yielded no clues.

It is my understanding that althought it isn't really widespread, this is a trend Ford is starting to see in 6.0 PowerStrokes, althought currently they have no idea what's causing it. The guy also said that Ford has named in the "Mystery Meltdown" in a TSB about the problem.

Please note this is all second-hand, and I don't have any proof that this is anything but BS. I tend to give it some weight since this was a PowerStroke owner talking to a Dodge owner, and why would he bad talk his own brand if it wasn't true.

No, I did not gloat. I showed actual concern over the matter.

Has anyone else heard of this?

Chris
Old 09-24-2004, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah i've heard of it, visit thedieselstop.com, these things are falling apart right and left
Old 09-25-2004, 07:58 PM

compition between brand camps is fun and all, and it is fun to joke at others misfortunes [minor gremlens mostly] but seeing/hearing about these massive engine failures isn't good. there will be some who will call this trolling and if this was posted on the diesel stop, it would be locked and thread deleted. some of them are so loyalty blinded they don't see any bad, and we get them loyalty blinded folks in all the big 3 truck camps [and you see the same with vehicle catagories too...]

Old 09-25-2004, 08:08 PM

That is bad news for Ford. I'm a loyal Dodge man, but Ford does (did) make a good truck also. It never ceases to amaze me that brand X always compares their product to the CTD as "good as", "more power than theirs", ect.

Now, if Dodge would only loose those stupid "SWEET" commercials with the burger boys dreaming of owning a Dodge I would be a happy Dodge man.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:09 PM
DPG

At least Dodge is not using the two guys to advertise the Cummins.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:43 PM

i know a man his son works for a large ford dealership, he tell all kinds of storys about them trucks, makes me wonder whay does ford do something about all the problems they are having
jman
Old 09-26-2004, 07:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ford had issues early on with injectors and with the pilot injection on with the 6.0. With several revisions on the injector and turning off the pilot injection helped somewhat. For '05 I heard Ford redesigned the ECM with a much faster CPU and have turned the pilot injection back on. Time will tell if that solves the problem.

MikeyB
Old 09-26-2004, 10:38 AM

Mikey, would this cause the melt down?

I would hate to spend $40K and then be a guinne pig. I guess some guys like showing up at the dealership for warranty work. Why not buy the correct / proven diesel in the first place? Makes no sence to me.

Old 09-26-2004, 10:44 AM

And to think I came close to a buying a new PS. Well, not that close I did'nt even drive it. I stopped by to look at a used Cummins on the ford lot and the salesman offered me a heck of a deal on a new PS (about what they wanted for the used Cummins). Sounds like it would have been a very bad move. I wish them luck, I can't stand the idea of spending 30K to 40+K on a truck and having to worry about it. Bummer!
Old 09-26-2004, 01:36 PM

Oh boy, I come to work today and one of my coworkers just bought a used powerstroke, a 2000 with 110000 miles on it, it has a gooseneck set up, I guess the previous onwer used it to haul matresses. Does anyone know if it has the 6.0 or the 7.3 in it? I'm a bit disappointed, I've talked to this person several times but i guess the price was right. It is a nice looking rig F350 crew cab. It came with no warranty
Old 09-26-2004, 02:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Geico266,
The meltdowns is usually caused by the injector sticking or malfunctioning. The EGTs will go sky high and melt the piston.

MikeyB
Old 09-26-2004, 05:03 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
G&C- the '00 F350 has a 7.3 liter in it.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:49 PM

Originally posted by wannadiesel
G&C- the '00 F350 has a 7.3 liter in it.
Thanks, I thought so just wasn't sure
Old 09-26-2004, 07:18 PM

I have also read that Ford is claiming the "daisy" soot pattern on the top of the piston is evidence of "fueling enhancers" too.
Tom
Old 09-26-2004, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by MnTom
I have also read that Ford is claiming the "daisy" soot pattern on the top of the piston is evidence of "fueling enhancers" too.
Tom
Gee, than I guess I have a field-of-daisies soot pattern on top of my pistons.

Chris

Quick Reply: PowerStroke Mystery Meltdown