General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

paper vs oil bath filters

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
paper vs oil bath filters

I've read quite a few threads where people have gone to using oil bath cloth filters (AFE, K&N, etc). Knowing that Cummins does not reccommed using anything but paper filters due to higher intrusion of harmful particles, have any of these aftermarket companies actually tested to see if the oil bath filters clean as well or better than paper filters? Is a large paper element (BHAF) going to flow enough for aftermarket mods? I'd rather stick with paper if it is in fact better at filtering. Do any of the other brands (ford, chevy, etc.) allow use of oil bath filters?
Old 11-28-2003, 05:10 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re:paper vs oil bath filters

Ya know I have heard this debate too for years. I still don't understand how DC can void your warrenty when you can order the K&N filter from their performance catalogue. The last K&N I bought for my 96 360 was from Dodge. :

The testing is out there, but each company did it themselves with varying results. I think the air filtration issue is more than just the type of filter used, but what type of particles are passed as no filter is 100%. Unless you run a Hepa filter, and to flow the air for your CTD the Hepa would be the size of your grill.

The long and short of it, the brick filters are terrible, paper or otherwise.

J-eh
Old 11-29-2003, 08:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re:paper vs oil bath filters

I'm planning in the future to use the drop in AFE Pro Guard 7 air filter. Changing the stock paper filter every 10k miles at $26 each would mean at 40k it would pay for the Pro Guard.

MikeyB