General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

out of warranty soon!What to check???

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
out of warranty soon!What to check???

I have a Dodge '01, 2500, 5.9 HO, w/ 6 spd, 4x4, LWB, getting near that 100k end of warranty time. What should I have the dealer check on before the warranty is up, and what items are going to be failing the next 50k or 100k miles that I need to look for ??

I also occasionally pull a 12k gooseneck trailer. primarily in the winter time. (sno-cat) and we also have to go up the mountains (4x4) to repair equipment all year round.

In Arizona, so it's 120 in the summer, to -10 in the winter (in the mountains).

Also how long does the clutch last, and do you feel any difference when it is near end of life (other than slipping)

Thanks,
Old 02-20-2004, 06:26 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Just remember that the dealer won't perform any warranty work for free unless it is exhibiting symptoms. You should know what needs attention since you're the one driving it.
I look at running out of warranty as a blessing, now you can take it to a non-dealer "mechanic" or do the work yourself.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, now you can take it to the engine experts....Cummins!
Old 02-20-2004, 09:21 AM

I would have the lift pump pressures checked. Make sure they are in line. Here is a place to get the gauge. http://www.smokindiesel.com/Dodge/BriarHopper.htm
You will be looking for the pressures below.
Idle – 15 psi
Cruse –10 psi
WOT - 8 psi
My lift pump was well below these figures and had no signs of trouble. At WOT it was only 2 to 3 psi, it was on its way out and when it goes it takes out the $1800.00 vp-44.
I would also check for the dreaded #53 block.
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...=cracked+block
These are things that are covered under the warranty but don’t always show up right away unless you look for them.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:34 AM

Thanks BILLG,
I just looked under the engine, hopefully it's the right location.
Just behind the pump was a number on the block, looked like either an "8" or a "B". I will get the pressure guage and check out the lift pump pressure.
I'm at 92k right now, I am compiling a list to take to the dealer to have them check it out before the 100k time is up. I have been telling them for about 10k miles that I felt the clutch was getting low, I am now getting a metallic clunk occasionally when I let it out, especially in 3rd or 4th gear. The pedal seems to have to come most of the way up to engage now, used to be about half way when I bought it.

I was wondering if some of the "Old timers" (Those that have had these engines for 300k miles or so), could tell me what items go bad as time progresses and what to look for before it should happen.
About how many miles does the water pump go out, fuel pumps, tranny problems, rear end problems, stuff like that so you can look ahead and try to catch things BEFORE they happen.

I am surprised that the members had not been asked about this and a compiling had not been put on this board so newer users could see what they needed to do to keep their trucks running before a problem occurred. (If I knew the water pumps lastest only 100k on the 1500, 5.2 model I would have replaced it at 90k),
stuff like that !!!!

thanks, again everybody for your help !!!
Old 02-20-2004, 01:29 PM

I think there are too many variables involved to make a list (truck use, maintenance, and mods). Some guys never have a problem with the lift pump and some do. I have heard of lift pumps going bad at 20000. Mine started going bad around 52000. I changed the stock banjo bolts to the high flow ones so I won’t have to put up with this again, I hope. Here is a place to get them, they will help you pumps work with a little less backpressure.
http://216.167.41.9/CoastalData/show...ID=593&CATID=1 When you check your lift pump and if you have no pressure make sure the dealer tests the vp-44 injector pump. Would hate to see you have to replace that on your dime.
I don’t think the clutch will be covered under warranty. You can ask some of the manual tranny guys. If they say they (the dealer) can change the clutch for $$$$.$$ then I would look at replacing it with a better after market unit. Here is where the guys with manual trannys can help you. Or you can do a search for “clutch” and find more reading then you can do in a night.
Good luck.
Old 02-20-2004, 02:47 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by waynem

I am surprised that the members had not been asked about this and a compiling had not been put on this board so newer users could see what they needed to do to keep their trucks running before a problem occurred. (If I knew the water pumps lastest only 100k on the 1500, 5.2 model I would have replaced it at 90k),
stuff like that !!!!

Thats a good point and the answer is, nobody has stepped forward to try and compile such a list. I too think it would be great!! But everybody working here, also has a REAL job so some things are slow in coming.

If you or ANYBODY has some spare time, and wants to help out compiling a list like this, we would love to have you do so. The more members that contribute, the better the site becomes for everybody

Thanks for mentioning it, maybe someone will pick up on it and run with it
Old 02-20-2004, 03:07 PM

The easiest way to get contributions to the information is to probably start a separate topic on this forum, where people could submit, what broke, and about when it went out, and what type of vehicle, engine and year they had. Then just sort thru it every once in a while and put it up on a list somewhere.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:03 PM

Shoot,seeing as how I'm rapididly running out of warranty I'll gladly step up and start/maintain a thread for just such things.
Old 02-21-2004, 08:11 PM
Banned

I in all seriousness would pull the pan and check for litle green tubes laying in the bottom of it. I wish i had, I wish I done it I wish ,Iwish I wish.........7000.00$ latter oh crapp
See my signature below????it did not get that way cause I had nothin else to do................
Old 02-23-2004, 11:07 AM

AH, What are you talking about, "Little Green Tubes" in the bottom of the pan ????

Please explain, "In detail" !!!
Old 02-23-2004, 11:15 AM

I believe he's talking about the plastic piston cooling jets that are in the engine.....doesnt seem right to have plastic inside a Cummins.....they can cause problems if they break down or are dislodged...
Old 02-23-2004, 12:29 PM
Banned

Thatsa right we is talkin about the biggest most awfull thing wrong with your
CTD.........like it or not they do jump out of thir cozy little homes and create havoc.........the earler ones are most prone to this the ones with the CPC in behind the starter......The rumor is -the gear loosens up and sets off a harmonic vibration ......kinda like Ella Fitzgerald breaking the glass with her voice...?//????????/
Dont bother asking The Steeler about it.........they do not O.H. CTDs there,they pull and put in a diff. one and know nothing about the internals.