General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

It only gets worse...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It only gets worse...

So, since my truck wouldn't start the other day, due to glow plugs or gelled fuel or something else, I had to abondone it at my girlfriend's apt. parking lot, 2 blocks from where I live.

At said apt, I locked the doors with the clicker. Little did I know, that was the time that it was going to die, and not lock the doors... I came back this morning and saw a bunch of paper and crap around my car, and notice that my seat had been moved. Opened to the door and saw that all my hunting clothes had been stolen, my ammo had been stolen, my ipod was dropped in the snow, my sirius radio was stolen (but the cut the antenna off on the cheap radio, and it was the most expensive part), stole my pike pass, stole my hunting regulations, zip ties gone, cd's gone, tried to steal the dodge with my jeep keys, stole 150 or so peice tool set from craftsman and the list goes on.

Man, I love living in the shady part of town where some trash people can break into 8 cars and steal one without anyone doing anything to them. The cops at least have a physical description, hopefully (doubtfully) they'll get caught and get whats coming.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:23 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Shouldn't that EZpass be tracable? Like, as in next time it is used?

Sucks.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:37 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Sorry to hear that happened. I have had some problems with thieves lately. I feel your pain. Hope things work out.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:53 PM
Banned

well the good news is, you dont have any glow plugs to fail. sorry that you got ripped off though.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by taildragger
So, since my truck wouldn't start the other day, due to glow plugs or gelled fuel or something else ... I locked the doors with the clicker. Little did I know, that was the time that it was going to die, and not lock the doors...
Not only do you not have glow plugs, but if your battery did not have the power to lock the doors, maybe that was the problem with starting the truck? But maybe you mean the keyfob battery. I say this because one time I accidently left my enclosed trailer's inside lights on and left the trailer hooked and plugged to the truck ... for like 2 days. When I came back to get in, pushing the keyfob button did nothing. The doors wouldn't unlock. I had to use the key (no biggie of course) so I knew the batteries were DEAD. Hehehe, it took the 4Runner about 10 minutes of high idle to generate enough charge on the batteries to get it started.

Maybe I've got an obsessive compulsion, but I always listen for the clunk of the doors locking as I'm walking away. If I don't hear it, I stop and try it again. I disabled my horn honk long ago ... just too intrusive IMHO.

- JyRO
Old 12-01-2006, 04:45 PM
Chapter President

My trick is to have a really cheapo radio...people would rather fell bad for me and leave money on my seat with a note to get a better radio than take anything Sorry about the break in though...
Old 12-01-2006, 05:04 PM

well, the problem was the battery on the keyless was dead (I found out today when nearly got my key locked in the truck while it was running), in the wind and the snow I couldn't hear the locks, and when I hit the button I saw the interior light go off (apparently I had just been standing outside for some reason long enough for the light to go off)
Old 12-01-2006, 05:39 PM

Not as bad as you, but about a month ago, someone stole my pintle/ball combo hitch out of my reciever at night.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:43 PM

a 1farad cap hooked to the door handles makes for nifty anti theft device
Old 12-01-2006, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by CSAGrey1
a 1farad cap hooked to the door handles makes for nifty anti theft device
Now that's my kind of anti-theft device.

Someone broke into my car last week and took my collection of burned DVD's. They left the new laptop, cellphone, and CD player alone. Now that is some justice I can deal with. I only wish my window wasn't broken.

It's not enough for me to deter theft. I would much rather catch the thief to prevent him from moving on to some other victim.

I feel your frustration.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:22 PM

What is a "1farad cap"?
Old 12-02-2006, 09:10 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by tabing
What is a "1farad cap"?

It is a capacitor that holds an electric charge. It would give you a zap similar to an electric fence. If the capacitor is large enough it could be fatal....
Old 12-02-2006, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by westcoaster
It is a capacitor that holds an electric charge. It would give you a zap similar to an electric fence. If the capacitor is large enough it could be fatal....
And how would one go about rigging something like that on our truck? .

Sorry to hear about your truck man. I'm always making sure my doors are locked so some worthless dink doesn't come along and try getting in, so far I've been lucky.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:57 AM

in the last year i have had a 4-wheeler, 2 gas cans and the ramps stolen from my back yard i told the officers they should hope to catch them before i do!!!
the last things stolen from me that were found and returned the officers told me who it was... well needles to say they left town about two weeks after that and i'll bet money he will never steal from me again
Old 12-03-2006, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by westcoaster
I remeber reading about something similar a number of years ago. The guy had a van that he essentially electrified as an anti-theft system. Some jerk tried to break in and ZAP! he got the shock of his life. The unfortunate part is that the vehicle owner got pulled into court and I believe went to jail for it.

Quick Reply: It only gets worse...