General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Oil coming out of my Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006 | 05:39 PM

Oil coming out of my Turbo

Hi everyone.

First time here and my first post.

I have a 1989 Case Dozer with what Case calls a 6-830 engine. The mechanics at New Holland laugh at this and told me it's a Cummins 8.3 engine, which makes sense to me. The turbo is a Holset X35.

It was running strong when I started smelling oil. Than a little later it started smoking really bad. I looked and saw oil dripping from the end of the turbo at the point it enters an elbow that my muffler is attached to.

I took the turbo off and brought it to Majestic Turbo in Waco to rebuild. The did so and I put it back on. I ran it for a few hours without any porblems, but than the smoke was back, and so was the oil.

I had already replaces the oil supply AND drain line. They are brand new and totally clear.

I thought the seals were bad, so I took off the turbo again and brought it back to Majestic. The took it apart and replaced all the seals again. They double checked all the tolerances and it's all good.

There was allot of oil on the exit side that feeds to the exhaust, none in the exhaust port from the manifold. That was dry and sooty. The tube to the intake manifold had a little oil in it, and this is where I think my problem is.

I took off the vent line that goes from the top of the valve cover and checked it for blockage. It's totaly clear. I ran it without it and created a huge mess, but their was no smoke from the oil driping off the turbo onto the exhaust manifold.

It appeared to me that with the vent line removed, and the oil splashing out, the oil isn't flooding out the turbo.

Please help. What can I do?

Thanks,
Eddie
Old 04-08-2006 | 06:23 PM

When one of my JDs did the same thing it ended up being a slight obstruction in a 4" long piece of hose where the metal oil return line met up with the block. The plys of the hose had separated and allowed the hose to collapse, causing too much oil pressure on the turbo seals mainly after the oil had heated up.
Two bucks worth of new hose fixed it right up.
Old 04-10-2006 | 08:19 PM

my turbo did the same thing, my teacher said to just let it go they will leak and then quit