General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Normal diesel vs. truck diesel???

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 01:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Normal diesel vs. truck diesel???

At a 76 station just a few miles from my house there are number of diesel pumps in the front. Also in the rear of the building there are 6 more diesel pumps, but this is labeled "truck diesel" and is $.02 cheaper per gallon. Some months back I was driving my friend's 24v Cummins and filled up there with the truck diesel, just for the cheaper cost. Low and behold I got 2-3mpg better than I had been previous to that according to the fuel computer. I continued getting that economy and only went back to my previous numbers once I filled up at another station with normal diesel. I have since then purchased my truck (a 12v) and always filled it up there with the truck diesel just because of my previous experience with my friend's 24v. Does anybody know what the difference of the truck diesel could be, or if the economy differences was just a cooincidance?
Old 01-15-2007, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the better economy was just a fluke, i think. i have heard of "magic" truck stop fuel, but i refuse to believe it. the fuel for the "car" diesel pumps comes from the same underground tank as the "truck" diesel. the difference is the tax exempt status of the truck fuel. they will eventually ask for your tax exempt card, and then the gig is up. but if they don't, hey thats their fault right? i hunt for a cashier that looks young and dumb, and then fill up with taax exempt, sometimes they ask for my card, usually they don't.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:59 PM

oh, the difference is probably in the difference of quality between the two different stations.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:55 PM

Filling up out front (which I did a couple of times before I noticed the truck diesel) didn't yield me the better economy.

I run my card at the pump, so there is no cashier to deal with. I also routinely see other trucks (both Dodge Cummins, Powerstroke, and Duramax) pulling up there. I even had the manager come out to look at the pump one time (it was pumping around a gallon a minute) and he didn't question me.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is this the station @ 164th and 1st street? I fuel there all the time, in the back. It is the same fuel and it is taxed the same. They just knock $.02 off for the commercial guys but it is open to anyone. You can fuel at any truck stop you want. At least we did when I went to New Orleans a year or so back. I saw all kinds of RV'ers fueling with no issues. You just get charged road tax.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lgp9999
At a 76 station just a few miles from my house there are number of diesel pumps in the front. Also in the rear of the building there are 6 more diesel pumps, but this is labeled "truck diesel" and is $.02 cheaper per gallon. Some months back I was driving my friend's 24v Cummins and filled up there with the truck diesel, just for the cheaper cost. Low and behold I got 2-3mpg better than I had been previous to that according to the fuel computer. I continued getting that economy and only went back to my previous numbers once I filled up at another station with normal diesel. I have since then purchased my truck (a 12v) and always filled it up there with the truck diesel just because of my previous experience with my friend's 24v. Does anybody know what the difference of the truck diesel could be, or if the economy differences was just a cooincidance?
Sounds like magic fuel to me! I want some!!
Mike
###
Old 01-16-2007, 07:32 PM

The truck pumps usually have larger hoses and nozzles, and pumps in so fast that sometimes even the slowest fill rate kicks the auto shut off.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:58 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by timcasbolt
The truck pumps usually have larger hoses and nozzles, and pumps in so fast that sometimes even the slowest fill rate kicks the auto shut off.
Not if you remove the rollover ball located in the hose between the cap and tank. just remove the fill hose from underneath and pop it out. The only reason for the ball is to keep fuel in the tank when the truck is upside down.

I highly doubt many stations have separate underground tanks for the truck and auto pumps. It all comes from the same place.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Is this the station @ 164th and 1st street? I fuel there all the time, in the back. It is the same fuel and it is taxed the same. They just knock $.02 off for the commercial guys but it is open to anyone. You can fuel at any truck stop you want. At least we did when I went to New Orleans a year or so back. I saw all kinds of RV'ers fueling with no issues. You just get charged road tax.
Yes it is. This was not a response I expected, LOL! Good to know.

I wonder why anybody would ever fill up out front.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:32 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I wonder why anybody would ever fill up out front
If I'm not mistaken a truck fill nozzle won't even fit in a Ford, they have to use the auto nozzles.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use 'em cuz it's faster...but watch it, some of them are real fast. I've seen them rated as high as 60 gal per minute. That's 30 sec to fill up.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:29 AM

Yes it is. This was not a response I expected, LOL! Good to know.

I wonder why anybody would ever fill up out front.

LOL, I don't imagine you did. I fueled out front at first until I made a trip around the back and saw the sign. There is a Texaco @ 76th street/94th ave that is pretty cheap sometimes and I fuel there or Safeway on 164th occasionally. Usually at the 76, especially since the Home Depot and Parkrose Hardware went in on 1st street. I live off SR500 so Safeway and the 76 are closest. Never noticed a diff in fuel mileage with any of them. Seemed more dependant on what I did and where I traveled.

BTW, don't ya just LOVE the stupid MORONS that think they can park there to go in the store???
Old 01-18-2007, 10:11 AM

I've bought gasoline at the Safeway on 162nd. They don't have diesel do they? I live off of 112th north of Chaklav, so 164th is a couple of miles out of my way, but not too bad.

I've seen people park there a couple times to go in the store, but I've never seen more than one other person at a time at the truck pumps so it's never been an issue for me.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:00 PM

Some stations the "Truck pumps" are #1 desiel, the auto is #2. In AZ the truck pumps have the added $0.08 fuel tax on them.
I fuel at the truck pump at the station here in Houston, it is fast, and the other island dont have desiel fuel.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:02 PM

I've bought gasoline at the Safeway on 162nd. They don't have diesel do they? I live off of 112th north of Chaklav, so 164th is a couple of miles out of my way, but not too bad.

I've seen people park there a couple times to go in the store, but I've never seen more than one other person at a time at the truck pumps so it's never been an issue for me.
Safeway has had diesel for probably more than a year now.

Well, I fuel with a TT sometimes and need to use the inside pumps coming from the direction I come in. When I can't use the forward pump it blocks up the whole darn thing for anyone getting around. Then you have to back part way around the corner to get out if they have not left yet. The nitwits can't use the parking lot like they are supposed to. The station doesn't like it either. Just plain rude if ya ask me.

Quick Reply: Normal diesel vs. truck diesel???