General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

No thanks, Ill keep my truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005 | 11:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No thanks, Ill keep my truck

While my wifes car is in the body shop for a few weeks the rental she picked was a 05 2500DMax CC SB 4X4 Since I have had the new truck bug for a while I was very hesitent to take it for a drive (WHAT IF I LIKE IT )
but I was very disapointed. All the hype about the power,the tranns,the quiet blaa blaa. First thoughts how come I cant hear it running? Did it stall? nope so I put it in R and back out of the driveway. What no bonejaring thump over the sidewalk letdown hummmm. Making a long story short nothing impressed me. It was to soft of ride, for my liking, it was lacking some serious go (compared to what Ive become acustomed to) and overall it felt just "car like" to drive not what a HD 2500 should feel like. But for double the money a 2nd gen CTD costs it leaves allot left over for some serious mods and a ton of change for fuel. So the new truck bug is gone for me. Each to his own and I know everyones got their own opinion but in my books BOMBed 2nd gens rule.
Old 10-19-2005 | 11:36 PM
Chapter President

"1998.5 24V LB/QC 2500 4X4,
Auto, INTENSE blue, 2"levelers,RS5000s,Way to many WATTS,Lots of MB Quarts,BFG 285s, Autometer Pyro/Boost/Trans/fuel, FASS,Magna flow SS 4" exaust, Edge Comp,TC, VB,ATS, Jammer 2s, AFE Megacannon, Piers Twins"

No wonder the Dmax felt a little weak.
Old 10-20-2005 | 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just something I noticed...maybe I'm biased, but it seems to me that most commercial drivers run CTDs, with the rest driving Powerstrokes. Chevys seem to be owned by suit and tie wearing office pinkies who need something to take the trash to the dump with on the weekends and women who feel they need a big truck. I have seen lots towing campers also. Basically, they seem to be owned by "automotive uneducated" people who buy a diesel because the dealer probably told them they needed it, but they didn't want to hear it or give up the comfort of their lexus.

Personally, when I drive my truck, I want to know I'm driving a TRUCK. I know it rides hard, makes a lot of noise, and is pretty basic. I like that. If I had my way, I'd swap the engine into an old 50's ton and a half truck and really go bare bones, metal dash and all. If I wanted to drive a Lexus or Caddy, I would have bought one instead of my truck.

Jim
Old 10-20-2005 | 02:05 AM

Ya know NHDiesel, I feel the same way. I like my rough ride. My wife tolerates it okay, but I think she would prefer a bit more luxury...but to me this IS luxury. She does complain now and then about the turbo scream.

Del
Old 10-20-2005 | 07:12 AM
Mrs. missin on a mission & keeper of the can

Originally Posted by dieseldel
Ya know NHDiesel, I feel the same way. I like my rough ride. My wife tolerates it okay, but I think she would prefer a bit more luxury...but to me this IS luxury. She does complain now and then about the turbo scream.

Del
You know guys I personally like the screaming of twins! You take me to a movie I'm bored! You take me to a truck pull I'm in heaven!!!!!!
Old 10-20-2005 | 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by CIN'S DODGE
You know guys I personally like the screaming of twins! You take me to a movie I'm bored! You take me to a truck pull I'm in heaven!!!!!!
My thought's EXACTLY!!

Chris
Old 10-20-2005 | 10:32 AM

Del
When i put my truck on the road early in the summer, I had planned on putting in a CD player and upgraded speakers, so I only bothered to put the 2 door speakers back in, and I put my wife's Jeep's factory tape player in it. Its now nearly 6 months later, and the tape player and 2 speakers are still there, mostly thanks to the straight pipe. When i get in hilly country (most anywhere around here), especially with a load, I tend to turn off the radio so I can hear the exhaust. Sometimes I open the passenger window. I must be sick or something...

Who needs a radio when you have a CTD singing to you???

Jim
Old 10-20-2005 | 10:47 AM

Del
Yep, I love to know that i'm in a truck, when you drive down the road its harder to fall asleep at the wheel when every bump feels like your head is going to hit the cealing vs. riding in a car.
Old 10-20-2005 | 11:45 AM

I totally agree with you guys, chevys are like driving a 4 wheel drive car with a bed on the back. Also when you get in one, you actually sit down. In the dodge you sit up in it. Makes the driving experiance much different.
Old 10-20-2005 | 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by crobtex
"1998.5 24V LB/QC 2500 4X4,
Auto, INTENSE blue, 2"levelers,RS5000s,Way to many WATTS,Lots of MB Quarts,BFG 285s, Autometer Pyro/Boost/Trans/fuel, FASS,Magna flow SS 4" exaust, Edge Comp,TC, VB,ATS, Jammer 2s, AFE Megacannon, Piers Twins"

No wonder the Dmax felt a little weak.
__________________________________________________ _

Ha Ha well I didnt really expect the pull mine had but im sure with a few mods it woulkd make a bunch of power too. But for the kind of money difference you could build any 2nd gen into (in my humble unopinionated opinion ) a truck that ROCKs the "rock" Dang after the O-rings and studs and a new set of Dons sticks go in around xmas I dont think I will have even spent 15 large.
Would have cost me 25 large and my truck for a new one and none of the new ones seem to register as high on the "WOOD" meter as this one does for me.
Old 10-20-2005 | 01:54 PM

i have said it for years, chevys are designed around fat old white men. i turned 40 this year and buoght a gmc and a harley. yes i am fat and white.
Old 10-20-2005 | 02:21 PM

Chevy HD Truck- Like a 3/4 ton El Camino with 4WD
Old 10-20-2005 | 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bobcat698
Chevy HD Truck- Like a 3/4 ton El Camino with 4WD
thats exactly what I was thinking. My brother and step dad both have the chevy HD. They always emphasize the HD, its funny. I always thought ifs was heavy duty!
Old 10-20-2005 | 02:47 PM

I always thought it was pretty funny how you need a 6" lift to clear 35" tires.. I am putting 315s on my Dodge tomorrow with a 2" leveling kit.
Old 10-20-2005 | 03:01 PM

I agree about the Chevy's, they are nice if you want to have a car like feel to a truck. I've towed with both and they both do good up to around 6K on a 3500 dully. But once you break the 6k mark give me the dodge and park the chevy.(never towed over 10k that I know of, so I dont' know how any perform with some real weight on them) Also, I can't speak for fords, but they can't be as bad as the chevy's in the ride and handling department.

As for the ride and noise, I like the dodge, though I would like a better audio system at some point. And to make it harder on me, my girlfriend reminds me all the time that she misses my old 24v second gen., she could hear me coming and loved the rumble. To add to my luck in the woman department, we're trying to find a ok shape CHEAP 12v 2500 4x2 for her to have to get her through college with because she wants a "reliable" vehicle . I don't see many guys having their better halves ask for a powerstroke or Dmax because they know it will last.

Mike

Quick Reply: No thanks, Ill keep my truck