General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

No more lifetime warranty on gassers, 5/100 now- Diesel stays 3/36

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 10:27 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
No more lifetime warranty on gassers, 5/100 now- Diesel stays 3/36

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2009...NEWS/908209998

Really ticks me off. Chevy does 5/100 on diesels- the Dodge drive train holds up better, so why not at least match it?

I bought my truck under 7/70 (which was a major factor in making the switch to Dodge BTW). I was hoping for better than 3/36 on the 2010s.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well there goes the ONLY reason I would look at a Chrysler product before their competition. Bad idea Chrysler - you just lost a potential customer on a couple of different vehicles.

Did they really think anyone would buy that they did this because people couldn't transfer the warranty to someone else? Give me a break !!!!

Good luck with your financial woes Chrysler - this sure isn't going to help getting people into your dealerships!!!!

Oh - BTW - I think the diesels are still 5/100 on the motors, just not the entire powertrain...
Old 08-27-2009, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So does that mean to those who bought 2007,08 and 2009 a car/truck with a lifetime warranty will be converted to a 5/100 or will they keep the lifetime warranty but then find anyway they can to void it? I know when I bought my wife's Nitro it was because it had a lifetime warranty and it cost thousands less then the others SUVs we looked at. If they change it to a 5/100 will they pay us to have a shorter warranty period? I though Obama said he would guarantee our warranty's and said they would not change but that was before he owned both GM and Chrysler.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by DBLR
So does that mean to those who bought 2007,08 and 2009 a car/truck with a lifetime warranty will be converted to a 5/100 ...?
No, you're good. Just the 2010s and beyond will be 5/100.

The only way they could've modified your warranty was during bankruptcy, but as you mentioned the government promised that warranties would stay intact (or all new car sales would've stopped).
Old 08-27-2009, 02:39 PM

does the cummins engine still have a 100K mi warranty like they used to?
Old 08-28-2009, 10:43 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Yeah, the engine is covered by Cummins.

If Dodge had offered the lifetime powertrain warranty on the 2010's I might have considered one...
Old 08-28-2009, 11:47 PM

As far as I'm concerned there warranties are all a joke.
Had to fight tooth and nail to get anything done on their dime.
One day maybe I will find a good dealer to reinstate my faith but as it stands now if I could buy a new vehicle with out a warranty and the cost of it I would.
I would guess that warranty adds 4-6k to the price.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:58 PM

There is a place down the road from me, lonestar dodge I think it is, has lifetime warranty, transferable, on any vehicle bought from them...just a heads up for anyone interested.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by rbrettctd
There is a place down the road from me, lonestar dodge I think it is, has lifetime warranty, transferable, on any vehicle bought from them...just a heads up for anyone interested.
You have to be careful and read the fine print on the dealer-offered warranties. Some require that the dealer perform all maintenance. Miss one oil change by a day or a mile and "poof", there goes your warranty.

A real money-maker for them.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by SOhappy
You have to be careful and read the fine print on the dealer-offered warranties. Some require that the dealer perform all maintenance. Miss one oil change by a day or a mile and "poof", there goes your warranty.

A real money-maker for them.
totally illegal from the MAGNUSON-MOSS WARRANTY ACT. Harley has tried to do this and has lost every time in court

§ 700.10 Section 102(c).

(a) Section 102(c) prohibits tying arrangements that condition coverage under a written warranty on the consumer's use of an article or service identified by brand, trade, or corporate name unless that article or service is provided without charge to the consumer.

(b) Under a limited warranty that provides only for replacement of defective parts and no portion of labor charges, section 102(c) prohibits a condition that the consumer use only service (labor) identified by the warrantor to install the replacement parts. A warrantor or his designated representative may not provide parts under the warranty in a manner which impedes or precludes the choice by the consumer of the person or business to perform necessary labor to install such parts.

(c) No warrantor may condition the continued validity of a warranty on the use of only authorized repair service and/or authorized replacement parts for non-warranty service and maintenance. For example, provisions such as, “This warranty is void if service is performed by anyone other than an authorized ‘ABC’ dealer and all replacement parts must be genuine ‘ABC’ parts,” and the like, are prohibited where the service or parts are not covered by the warranty. These provisions violate the Act in two ways. First, they violate the section 102 (c) ban against tying arrangements. Second, such provisions are deceptive under section 110 of the Act, because a warrantor cannot, as a matter of law, avoid liability under a written warranty where a defect is unrelated to the use by a consumer of “unauthorized” articles or service. This does not preclude a warrantor from expressly excluding liability for defects or damage caused by such “unauthorized” articles or service; nor does it preclude the warrantor from denying liability where the warrantor can demonstrate that the defect or damage was so caused.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:56 PM

When I took my truck in today I asked the dealer about this and they said they had not heard anything about a warranty change for 2010. The guy doing the work told me you can even change your own oil and filters just be sure to keep dated receipts to show proof of you buying oil & filters.