General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

New to the site and need some help deciding on a truck... bad!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 07:16 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Can't help on the trim package, but the gearing info should be on a sticker on the underside of the hood.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by wannadiesel
Can't help on the trim package, but the gearing info should be on a sticker on the underside of the hood.
Congrats on TOM! Did you go to the dyno day at Kauffmans? Were you the guy working on getting the turbo apart on the table? I was there and spoke to you if it was you.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:10 PM

I would get the red 2wd and never look back. If you need a 4wd, then hold out, but I don't think that you will be easily be able to find a 94 with that low miles that has been that taken care of easily, and if you do, you won't get into it for anywhere near 7500. I live in Kentucky, where we do get a little snow, and my grandad has never owned a 4wd. He goes just about anywhere he wants to, and always has. Ice is a different matter, but 4wd does not help out all that much on ice anyway.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:17 PM

The owner of the V-10 accepted my offer of $8500. How much does a Meyer plow cost?
Old 05-15-2005, 09:49 PM

Auto Check come back looking good: https://www.autocheck.com/consumers/...KF23W3TM137986
Old 05-15-2005, 10:28 PM

looks like a SLT package, pwer windows and locks, and mirrors. Go with the cummins you won't regret it. v-10s bring less than the v-8s do around here. milage is horrible
Old 05-15-2005, 10:48 PM

All the extra seating, HP, plow, options, 4WD, tow package, etc... and the Cummins is still the better buy? Reasons?
Old 05-15-2005, 10:55 PM

remember this is the DIESEL truck resource

just wait for a diesel, club cab, 4x4 5speed and have the best of both
Old 05-15-2005, 11:13 PM

Don't think I will ever be able to find one in my price range. Do you think I could get a 4x4 club cab diesel for $10k and under with relatively low miles?

I looked at that V-10 board and Holy S! Lots of problems with those V-10's and the heads. I am leary now!
Old 05-16-2005, 06:35 AM

As I said, my V10 was a good one, but I only had it 45,000 miles. I'm sure it had the pourous head issues, and probaby had the crossed plug wires, so who knows if it would have made it. Knowing what I know now, I would not buy ANY 10 older than the 2000 model year.

The V10 gets NO dealer support, either. They will look at you like you have threes heads.

Get the Cummins. Get the Cummins.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by BlueDually
remember this is the DIESEL truck resource
If you buy the V10 you'll be banned from this site forever!

Get the diesel. Better truck, better mileage, lasts longer, better resale.

170K miles and runs better than new!
Old 05-16-2005, 07:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Intercooler,

Welcome to DTR. This is Diesel Truck Resource so we do tend to be a bit biased here but we will try to give you an honest opinion as well (and no, you won't be banned for buying the V10 but we will give you a hard time about it ).

At 105K, that '94 is just barely broke in if it's been cared for and maintained. The big decision comes down to what you need/want. Is the extended cab important to you? I know I personally wouldn't settle for a std. cab pickup but it's fine for many people. On the other hand, I'd insist on the Cummins. I spent 6+ months looking at trucks before I bought mine and ended up driving 5 hours one way to get it (and ended up paying nearly $1500 less than the going price at the time because I found the right truck at the right time). Others have gone a lot further. (Wannadiesel bought his in TX and drove it back to Penn. ) Don't feel that these are the only two trucks on earth. Do your research, decide what you want and what you want to spend and then search accordingly. As the old saying goes, patience is a virtue.

Having said all that, IF you have a deadline to get a truck and can live with the standard cab, I'd choose the diesel hands-down. You'll love the power and the economy. If you have to have the extra space, either settle for the V10 or wait for another truck. Also, don't be afraid to look a the 1st generation Dodge Cummins trucks ('89 - '93) as they have a loyal following as well. Yes, they are older so there are more potential issues but find one that's been well cared for and you can have a gem. I bought mine with 169K on the clock and now have over 225K on it and still going strong. I expect the motor to long outlive the rest of the drivetrain.

Best of luck in your search.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:59 AM
Ian

torque, hp, mileage, reliability and longevity are the "pros" to buying diesel over gas. not to mention they sound waaay cooler. you know that the Cummins motor is bulletproof just by reading the posts on this site. You know the V10s have issues by reading the other site. Logic would prevail... But in all seriousness...i bought my 2000 on Saturday, and it has 207k mi on it, and you wouldn't know it. its a 4x4 QC SLT laramie with 33's and towing package, and I got it for around $13500. So you can find deals...its just a matter of how long you are willing to wait for it. it took me close to 8 months for this truck, and granted its not a 98 12v, but I was willing to be a little flexible Hope that helps
Old 05-16-2005, 01:01 PM

the v 10 is very solid...it will feel much better inittially to u over the cummins because it revs and the 47re works really well with that motor....not to mention its got quite a bit more hp than stock 12 valve...that being said a 12 valve can be modded ridiculously with a very small budget...u'll get 20 mpg with a 12 valve...u wont get over 10 mpg with the v 10...6 mpg prolly while towing...after that what happens when u need a part? u cant exactly get the 8L v10 stuff at the snap of a finger...not a common motor at all......a s adaily driver i would NEVER get it....resale is gonna hurt u too....v10's sell for real cheap up north here....but i know what ur saying with the 4x4...i would always hold out for a4x4

so my advice like everyone else is to hold out on a 4x4 diesel ...resale with that combo is excellent
Old 05-16-2005, 04:34 PM

Intercooler,

I have been away for while so I just saw this thread. If you check my sig you will see that I drive a 2 year newer version of the '94, with the 215 rather than the 185bhp Cummins. The mileage is current as of now.

Let me put it this way - If I had the option of purchasing a truck that is nearly identical, in better body condition, with 185,000 less miles than 96_12V has, I would do it in a heartbeat!! I have not wanted, nor needed 4wd, I prefer the better handeling of the 2wd truck, and with a manual, and 400# in the bed, it's never been a problem in snow at all, in Chicago or northern Wisconsin.

Now for the kicker - resale value! KBB.com is where you really shoud check this out - you will basically not depreciate that $4500 Cummins engine option during the life of the truck. The V-10, on the other hand, will likely value for LESS than a V-8 due to it's complexity and difficulty obtaining replacement parts.

All this said, I would strongly suggest buying the '94 Cummins. Looks like it's been very well cared for, and you have 200,000+ miles left on that one. Actully $7-8,000 is a steal for that truck. Last fall I called a guy in Ohio who listed his '95 2wd, 5-speed regular cab Cummins for $5000 on Autotrader.com. Turns out he was a feed dealer who used it for statewide delivery, had purchased it new, and with 454,000 miles on it, sold it in three days for the full price!

Jump on that Cummins! Good luck!

Quick Reply: New to the site and need some help deciding on a truck... bad!!