General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

New to the site and need some help deciding on a truck... bad!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the site and need some help deciding on a truck... bad!!

I searched and searched for a diesel/Dodge site to ask some questions and it looks like I found one

I have located two trucks that I am interested in and currently I sit on the fence on which one to get.

#1 is a 1996 2500 Club Cab 4WD with auto and a V-10. The truck has a Borla exhaust with headers, 54k miles and fully loaded including plow and towing package. This truck can be had for $8,500-$9,000. It is about perfect on the outside but needs a headliner, driver seat recovered and one of the headers has a crack that needs fixed.

#2 is a 1994 2500 Reg Cab 2WD with a manual and Cummins 12 valve. This one has 105,000 miles and was owned by an older gentleman. It doesn't have a tow package on it, no extended cab but has a cap, slider and needs nothing. I mean the outside and inside looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor! If I could post pictures I would put them up. This truck can be had for $7500-$8000.

To be honest I don't know if I need the 4WD but that and the extended cab would be a plus. The truck will mainly be used for house stuff plus towing a racecar/trailer that weighs 6k lbs. I will probably use it for towing 12 times a year. Which of these is more reliable or makes more sense to get?

With all I read about the Dodge transmissions having issues how would the manual on the diesel compare?

I have read that the V-10 gets 10-12 MPG but that isn't a huge kicker for me since I will be using it limited time. What can I expect out of the Cummins for MPG with the manual?
Old 05-15-2005, 12:19 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Welcome to DTR.

You don't say what part of the country you're in, but if it snows a lot where you are and you will be driving the truck in it a 2wd diesel pickup is challenging at best. I assume since the 4wd truck has a plow you see some snow. That plow would leave me concerned about the transmission, if the plow was used much.

The manual transmission is very good behind the diesel, the only issue with the '94 is the nut that holds 5th gear on the output shaft has been known to loosen, causing you to lose 5th. This can be fixed with a fully splined output shaft, or avoided by not towing heavy loads in 5th below 2000 RPM.

The 12 valve Cummins is very reliable, the only thing you have to worry about is the KDP (killer dowel pin). This is a dowel pin that locates the timing case to the engine. It's supposed to be a press fit but sometimes it works loose and drops on the timing gears, usually it takes a chunk out of the timing case. Prevention is an easy fix, repair is not.

AFAIK, the V-10 is pretty solid, but thirsty. That 10-12 mpg is about right empty, you will be fortunate to see 8 mpg loaded. The Cummins will deliver close to 20 empty, with only 6k behind you you will see around 15 loaded on the highway.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:31 PM

That's a very good post and goes with what I have learned recently from hanging out at a diesel dyno day. I heard about the 5th gear problem from a friend that has a manual. He said he avoids it by not getting in the RPM zone that causes the problem. I also heard about the pin in the front and supposedly a jig exists to fix it. Don't know much about it other than a fix exists to cure it. As for snow I live in Maryland where we may get 1-2 decent snows a year. I think 5 was about the max since I have lived here and most are 5-7 inches tops. I have a Honda for that The V-10 has a lot more additional stuff with it. Is it worth it over the Cummins option for me? Which one do you like.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:41 PM

Here are some pictures of the Dodge:

http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/at...achmentid=7162

http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/at...achmentid=7164

http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/at...achmentid=7167

http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/at...achmentid=7168

http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/at...achmentid=7169

http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/at...achmentid=7170

http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/at...achmentid=7163

And here is the V-10:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEDW%3AIT

I also questioned the plowing with the 4WD. He states his lot and people he knows but not commercial. I know it is hard on a trans and other things. It has a tow package too but don't know if he towed with it or not. My guess is yes.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:45 PM

Looking at the pictures does anyone know the trim package on the Cummins? Is it a SLT or ST, etc..??
Old 05-15-2005, 12:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I've never had an inkiling for the V-10 so no first hand info about it. I got my 98 witn 114000 on the Cummins. Not going back to gas when it comes to pickups.

If it was me, I'd go with the diesel. The few problems that you may encounter vs the strength of the motor is my deciding factor.

Ed
Old 05-15-2005, 12:57 PM
Ian

find a Cummins Ram in 4x4 and extended cab...lose the v10 gas is more expensive and waaay less efficient than diesel. not to mention the cummins will last you for a long, long time (I have 207,000mi on my 00, and it runs like new). The diesels have more torque, can easily get more hp as well. All in all, I'm loving my new diesel and wouldn't go back to gas

Trending Topics

Old 05-15-2005, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree

The v10 has some serious get up and go tho, and some good torque. But the lil ol cummins has more torque and better fuel mileage... I would hold out for a four wheel drive cummins, once u have a four wheel drive or a diesel you will never go back. Why not get the best of both worlds while you are at it? I know i would, Just my humble opinion..

Best of luck

PS. where are my manners? WELCOME TO DTR!! BEST dodge cummins site on the net no questions asked! If you get a rig, fill in the sig with its info to facilitate us helping you out.. many thanks!

Tx
Old 05-15-2005, 01:12 PM

So my next question on the diesel would be what is good mileage? I know on a car if you get one in the 50k range then you can eek 150-200k out of some of them. That's like 1/3 of its life. What is it in diesel mileage? Should I stick with a manual if I search more. That red one is clean though!
Old 05-15-2005, 01:27 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
With proper care and feeding, most folks claim 300K from the cummins. I personnaly know of two trucks which when bought used had near that. One now is nearing 400k. There are many folks on here that can vouch for this with their own experiences.

You will have problems, as with anything mechanical, but I'd sure buy mine again. It has 164K on it now, original auto tranny, and would not hesitate to go anywhere in it. Since I bought it, all I have had to do is put brakes on it twice, shocks twice, and two sets of tires all around. Oh, forgot about the track bar.

I use it as a daily driver, work truck, play toy, whatever.

If you need the 4x4, go ahead and wait. If you can use the 2x4, then jump on it if the price fits you.

Ed
Old 05-15-2005, 01:36 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I bought my truck at 209k with no hesitation.

That '94 is really clean! If the engine has been cared for as well as the rest of the truck you can expect 3-400k out of the engine.

I live North of you and my truck is 2wd. It's my daily driver, but it is a handful in the snow even with 500 lbs of concrete block over the axle. Mine is worse than that red truck will be because mine is a dually. I like 2wd because there's less to go wrong/maintain, the truck sits lower and rides nicer, and you can buy them cheaper. I am not sorry I bought a 2wd, I just wanted to make sure you were aware of the snow problem.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:19 PM

My daily is a Honda which goes fine in the snow. I had people looking at me weird last year when I had it out in 8" last year I would love to have 4WD...... only problem is I am trying to stay at or under 10k for which ever truck I choose. That narrows it to these two. I could search around some more for a 4WD diesel not extended but most are 13k plus. These are out of my budget.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know of a cummins

12V with 360 000 miles on the clock and still running great. I have understood that if well cared for and maintained, then they will go for at least half a million before a serious overhaul is needed... Mine has 162K, and it runs like new, even with the bombs... best of luck...

Tx
Old 05-15-2005, 02:40 PM

I owned a 1997 2500 V10, and it was a helluva truck. That motor was rated at 300 hp, and 450 lb ft, and that truck would get up and move. It had the 47RE transmission; only issue it blew a cooler line that vomited fluid, and needed a tow to the dealer. Other than that, it was the most reliable vehicle I ever owned, until I went and bombed it (supercharger....looon story).

It did use coolant. Never could see where it was going, but I had it documented from the dealer since new. Finally, at about 45,000 miles, dealer discovered a "pinhole" leak in the radiator during a pressure test, and replaced it under warranty (even though I was out of warranty by that time). This was, however, before I discovered the Internet. Since that time, I have learned that a common problem on V10s through the '99 model year was pourous head castings, which caused the coolant loss. Of course, what long-term damage that did to the engine, I do not know.

The main issue with these engines was the "crossed spark plug wire" issue. Again, I found this out after I traded the truck, when I finally had discovered the internet. Seems that some, if not most (again, through maybe '99 or '00 model year) came with two plug wires crossed; I forget which two, which caused early engine demise (<100,000 miles) if it wasn't caught and corrected. Go here for all the V10 information you need; many posts there about the heads and spark plug wire issues:

http://p211.ezboard.com/bdodgeramv10

Mileage: 9-10 puttering around, 13-14 highway.

Get the Cummins.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:14 PM

Anyone know what trim package the Dodge has and what gearing may be in the rear?

Quick Reply: New to the site and need some help deciding on a truck... bad!!