General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Need help deciding -

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help deciding -

Ok here goes - I'm a new Member - Currently own a 2001 dmax allison Loaded LT - I originally bought my Dmax for the quiet diesel. I love the truck - it pulls well, rides great - etc. I have had some sevice issues - Minor repairs take forever, My local dealer stocks no parts- I have an injector problem that is awaiting parts & a week that I can lay up the truck. I have decided to sell my rig - & go new 04 - I have narrowed it down to a new 2500hd LT dmax/ allison ( same truck as mine but newer with warranty) -

Or a Dodge Laramie - quad loaded with the HO cummins & auto 4 speed - I will be pulling about 15% of the time - Most of the driving is local 1/2 loaded -

My obstacles are : Ride quality chev vs Dodge
Dodge tranmission - any reports on reliability ?
Listed payload for the Dodge 2500 was under 2500 lbs - as opposed to ove 3k for the chev - Is this a rating Thing - or is the Dodge suspension lighter ?

I know i'm in the Dodge court here - So I would like your input - before I drop 40k+

Thanks in advance
Mike
Old 01-24-2004, 06:47 PM

if you want a true crew cab it would be hard to pass up the chevy. i had an 01 2500 hd ( not a d/max ) crew cab and i absolutely loved the interior, the crew cab and the ride of that truck. my 97 ctd rides like a bucking horse compared to the chevy. i absolutely love my cummins though. this thing is a mule and its stock ( for now ) if chevy had the cummins in their new trucks id buy 1 in a minute ( only thing is i dont care for the new frontends ) so i guess the moral to my post is that it would be hard for me to choose also although the ctd may just push me over the edge.... even though the new trucks are improperly valved :-) just teasing guys seriously though good luck with whatever u get. scott
Old 01-25-2004, 09:47 AM

Thanks DC -
I'm coming from an Ext Cab- & use the back for tool storage - Dodge has a much nicer storage system than Chevy & having seperate doors has got to be easier to access- I guess my concerns are focused mainly on ride quality & the longevity of the new Auto trans, I won't be doing any power mods - Long Island is pretty flat- And thats where 95% of my towing takes place . I came out of a 96 Dodge 1500 4x4 laramie when I got the chevy - My main concern with the Chev are focused around future Injector problems - I don't mind the repairs I can't afford the down time -
The HO cummins is now available in NY - so thats another plus for Dodge -

Any former chev drivers want to kick in thier observations ?

Mike
Old 01-28-2004, 04:03 PM

Wow - you guys are aweful quiet ......
I was hoping for more Chevy Converts to be out there beating me up ---

Really = I don't want to start flaming any trucks -- I just don't have experiance with the Dodge w/ Cummins etc....
I would value any input - positive or negative ..

If you would prefer to email so as not to insult anyone feel free.....

MPS
Old 01-28-2004, 04:27 PM
DPG

Hey MPS, welcome to the site. I am a former GMC owner, but it was a 2500 6.5 TD with the auto. I very much liked the truck, but, of course, the power was just not there. My rig is a second generation truck, so it's nothing like the 04's, but I did test drive one the other day. I think that the ride of the new Ram 2500's is much superior to the 2nd gen's . My buddy has a 2001.5 2500 CTD, and the ride of the 04 is much more civilized than his truck. Again, I can't attest to the reliability of the new auto trans, but I've read very good things about it from people who own it. Long term, who knows? But transmissions can be upgraded relatively cheaply. The real issue, for me anyway, is that the heart of the beast is a Cummins.

FWIW

DeWain
Old 01-28-2004, 06:27 PM

Hello mps and welcome. I have owned and driven GMC for many years I have 2 members of my family that are GM employee's and I can get the discount and could have purchased a DMAX at below dealer cost. With that said I choose to go the RAM route for a couple of reasons.

1.) I am convinced that the Cummins motor is much superior to the competition, The inline 6 is a design that is made for the long haul. As mentioned the auto trans has been the shortcomming of this drivetrain in the past The posts here indicate that the new auto (48e) is a better performer in the 3rd gen truck.The cost of a vave body and TC will give you a reliable set-up should you go the bombing route. There is no question in my mind and it is documented over and over that the cummins motor will outlast and out tow the compition enough said.

2.) The local Dodge dealer where I bought mine is good for service and knowledge of my truck( this is a big deal to me through the 100'000 mi warranty)

3.) I like the fit and finish on the Ram.

4.) I drive alot of miles and the CTD is known to go 250'000 + while maintaining a reasonable re-sale value.

5.) If and when you desire to and power there is not a question about which motor will putt reliable horepower to the rear wheels.

6.) I thonk there is more information available from sites like this one concerning the CTD.

7.) My truck makes sense to me and therfore I have more confidence and fun driving it. Anytime I have a problem I get a wealth of info here.

Best of luck to you in your decision I hope you enjoy whatever you purchase that above all is the main thing when you are spending the big bucks
Old 01-28-2004, 07:28 PM

mps, I am a Chevy convert, traded my 2000 silverado ex-cab 2500 6L auto for a 2004 QC 2500 ctd 6sp. My issues were mainly the piston-slap engine noise and leaky doors that wouldn't shut right. I put 43K on that truck, did proper maintenance, etc. When I took it in to ask about the engine noise, the service guy said it was normal, all there new gassers did that, that they could replace it (not warranty covered), but it would do it again in 20K! I decided right there that they would not get any more of my money. I decided to get the truck with the best motor, that is the ctd.

Comparing the two, the Chevy did ride better, but it was also a long box, Dodge is a sb. I like the 6sp, but may not be the best in NYC. The interior of Chevy was possibly better, Dodge dash is pretty "plasticy", hard plastic. Suspension wise, Dodge is at least as heavy, and looks heavier. Before I chose, I called around locally, diesel mechanics always drive Cummins Dodges, said the new drivetrain looked bullet proof. A local tire outlet owns several of each,they pull around big trailers (loaded with tires?), the manager said so far none of the Dmaxes had gone over 110K without major work, a couple even blew up. Said trannies were great, though. But the Dodges w/ctd go much longer without work, and pulled better, don't know if they were automatics, though.

Hope this helps!

Trending Topics

Old 01-28-2004, 07:42 PM

I have the auto and it seems good so far I have towed about 7,000lbs .If you do a search on 48RE trans you will have alot of reading on the auto trans.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:48 PM
Chapter President

I had to make this same choice myself, as for interior, in my very humble opinion Chevy is far and away the better choice.(auto lights, hidden garage door opener, dual zone climate control on less than LT model, progaramble drivers seats with key, security keys are std) That said, I purchased the my CTD and haven't looked back. This thing is awsome!! I hope I feel the same way in two years, I have to have my vehicle every day!! Customers could care less weather your truck is in the shop or not, so I can sympathize!!!!

I'm not sure there is a better value on a diesel or a TRUCK.

This is just my opinion I could be wrong. According to the wife it usally is!!!

Old 01-28-2004, 07:49 PM

I owned an '02GMC Crewcab gasguzzler. Advantages of the '02 GMC crew were; 1. huge back seat. 2.Excellent ride. 3.Pretty good power. GMC disadvantages;1. Gas guzzler. 2.Thin, cheap body construction. 3. Garbage brakes. Advantages of '03CTD; 1.lExcellent ride 2.Unbelievable power 3. Fantastic fuel economy 4.great body construction 5. Best brakes on the market (I've heard a few different things about fuel economy, but my '02 GMC had the 410's and made 13MPG at best on highway empty. My CTD has made 19-21 MPG (373's) consistently since day one.) The Ram is really smooth, and I have one problem with it- trying to hold it back!
Old 01-28-2004, 10:04 PM

Thats better - !!
Now I'm feeling good !
Gm is calling me on Friday with thier "final offer' this should be interesting - They offered me 1k customer loyalty ...... Hah !
I've lost over 10 k in down time !

I'll fall off my chair if they even offer me 1/2 that !
Keep the replies coming -- They are encouraging !
My dodge salesman keeps calling waiting for me to pull the trigger ....
Mps
Old 01-29-2004, 05:58 AM

BUY THE DODGE! BUY THE DODGE! Repeat after me. This is my first one and it's the best truck I've ever had. It is by far the best motor on the market. I believe in the KISS method and an inline 6 is about as simple as it gets. Less moving parts, etc. Best longevity in the light truck market. The allison is a sweet tranny for a sludge pump, but I've talked too a lot of hotshot drivers over the years with 500,000 plus miles on their Rams with no auto trans problems. Make sure you get a trans temp gauge with a sludge pump because heat is what kills an auto, so if you monitor your temp you can simply stop before you do any damage when towing. You will also know if you need to add any cooling capacity then. One guy did complain that he had to rebuild his trans at 600,000 miles and that was in a 3500. If you're getting a 4x4 the Dana solid axles are the best on the market. Just my .03, notice the extra .01. I'm not as cheap as some folks. Good luck in your decision.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:31 AM

MPS, I've owned 6 silverados. 3-1/2 ton Z71, 2-3/4 ton 6.0 ext. cabs, and a 03 LT crew cab big block. My dad works for gm, now I have 2 dodge cummins. I have had the 98 for almost 2 years, I sold my last chevy just because it never got used it only had 3500 miles on it in like 9-10 months owning. I have looked and considered a new dodge but I am still waiting. I am not sure I want to spend $35000 on something that was made in mexico, by non-union workers making $5 an hour vs. paying the same price for something that people made $25 an hour on. I know some people might disagree with that, but thats part of the reason people in america don't have jobs. Don't get me wrong, I love both the cummins I have, I mean I've got 2 so that says something. For the work I do with them and the way they're used they provide excelent value for me. I know theres a big difference between my 98 and an 04. But thats just my view nothing more, so that for what its worth.

TYLER
Old 01-29-2004, 07:05 PM

Hey mps, I was recently in your situation. I owned a 01 chevy 1500 Lt. Although I had great luck with my chevy, I needed something larger for towing. I live in Rhode Island (very flat).As I started looking for trucks, I noticed every web site was boasting and flaming other brands at will. I did my research and was still not sure, so I went to my local RV place and asked thier mechanic and asked him what they used to transport thier inventory. For the most part they all had very old dodge diesels, most with very little work and 300,000+ on them. I inquired about the auto and heard all positive feedback. After this I was pretty much convinced on the dodge. My 04 3500 ctd is due 02/19/04, cant wait to try out the new 600 and the 48e auto

Good luck and enoy your search
ps
the cummins has 30% fewer moving parts ( with more power and better mpg.)
Old 01-31-2004, 01:12 PM

MPS007,

I have a $3,000 customer loyalty certificate right here. I DID NOT use it on another Duramax but bought a Cummins.

Get out from under that Duramax. You said you already had injector issues. Well if it starts it won't stop and probably will be just the same with the new Duramax. After warranty I had more than 20 breakdowns because of injector and fuel system issues. They cost me just over $7,000 plus lost hauls, motels, weeks of down-time and food etc. At the end the Allison broke and there were more fuel issues with a guesstimate of another $7,000 in repairs needed.

See why I have the Cummins?

That $1,000 'bonus' or my $3,000 ...'we're sorry for your problems' certificate is crap compared to what could be in your GM future if you stay. I have been through the Duramax hell.

Love the four door compared to the ext. cab for storage. Comfort driving is comperable, both trucks are quiet and refined, the Dodge controls are simpler to operate, the tires are better, the fuel mileage is at least the same, maintainance is easier, filters are cheaper (and better) and you will have a Cummins.

Quick Reply: Need help deciding -