General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Navistar Suspends 6.4L Powerstroke production

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man I would definatly NOT want to be buying one of those engines/trucks right now!!!!!
Old 02-28-2007, 08:18 PM

All I know is I like tuning on the CAT system, they are very reliable and can produce tons of hp. Cat HUEI has to turn the crankshaft 2 revolutions and the injectors start firing and the engine starts right up to programmed low idle. Why is it you gotta WIND that PSD up to get it to run???... Bad software is what I think!!!
Old 02-28-2007, 10:26 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by PoorMansCat
All I know is I like tuning on the CAT system, they are very reliable and can produce tons of hp. Cat HUEI has to turn the crankshaft 2 revolutions and the injectors start firing and the engine starts right up to programmed low idle. Why is it you gotta WIND that PSD up to get it to run???... Bad software is what I think!!!

Hey that sounds like my powerchoke service truck. That thing cranks like crazy even after driving 50 miles. Shut it off and then start it back up and it cranks, cranks......cranks then starts. What the heck?

As far as the 6.4L......

Well Mr. Jones, we have your brand new 2008 Super Duty here at the dealer just as you ordered it. Yes, you can come down and see it. Oh, you'd like to pick it up today? Well, ahhhh, see Mr. Jones there is only one minor problem and when I say minor, well it's just a glitch actually. See Ford and there supplier are having a bit of a disagreement right now and we're waiting on one small part from Ford to get your truck ready. What part? Uhm, it's.....ahhhh, well......Sir, your truck, ahhhh, it has no engine.

OHHHH BOY!!!! Way to go FORD and NAVISTAR!!! Hey are you guys still in the first grade??
Old 02-28-2007, 10:33 PM
Chapter President

just read over at dieseloilleakstop that Navistar has been court ordered by a Michigan court to resume sending ford the 6.4. Let the games begin!!
Old 02-28-2007, 10:36 PM

well if I was in the market to buy and order new HD diesel trucks I would have to cross Ford off the list and likely most other individuals and fleet buyers are likely saying the same thing. OUCH!!!! thats gonna hurt Ford
Old 03-01-2007, 04:29 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorMansCat

No, not bad software. All of the powerstroke engines (7.3, 6.0, not sure about the 6.4) have oil pressure fired injectors. They have whats called the HPOP (High Pressure Oil Pump) on them to supply the pressure required to fire the injector. I don't remember what pressure is required to start (around 500 psi I believe). When ever the power strokes start up (especially on a cold start) the HPOP has to build the pressure up before the injectors start firing. This is why they crank longer than most engines.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:14 AM

J.R.... the 6.4 is HPCR...