General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Navistar Suspends 6.4L Powerstroke production

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its just lawyers posturing or is it strutting ? They know this partnership is on the rocks and neither can afford this. Ford has 50,000 6.4l DT PSD's in inventory.

Ford recently told Nav that it doesn't want the extra 20-30K 6.0L engines that Nav built up at the end of last year for the E-series vans. All of those engines are in storage -- and on Nav's books for ~5K a pop -- with no outlet for sales. They're just going to sit there, collect dust, and depreciate. Obviously, Nav's response was to hit back at Ford and stop shipping the 6.4L.

Both actions are a sad commentary on how far this "partnership" has disintegrated. Now it's just a legal game of chicken. We'll just have to wait and see who swerves first.

I bet Toyota is loving this , prolly garantees that Ford is left in the wake.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by elandon1201
What if Ford went this route?

http://ohe.cat.com/cda/layout?m=95503&x=7

What a truck it would be.

Probably won't happen since the motor weighs in at 1425lbs.

If Ford doesn't get their act together soon, they can pretty much kiss their piece of the diesel truck market goodbye. It'll be interesting to see what Nissan and Toyota bring to the table. A 3/4 ton solid front axle 4x4 I6 Nissan Titan built in the States, ahhh its good to dream
Old 02-26-2007, 02:03 PM

Anyone know if Ford/Navistar have a contract to work together through a certain date?

I can understand why Navistar would want to put their engines in a Ford... obviously because Ford is the best selling diesel truck on the road.

But why would Ford put up with any crap from Navistar? There has to be scores of diesel engine manufacturers licking their chops at a chance to have their engines put into a Ford truck.

Someone correct me if my logic is flawed.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PanteraGSTK
We need a DTR project to make the Frankenstein truck. All the good from the big 3 minus all the bad. Cummins engine, allison tranny, dana axles (solid) np205 transfer case, freightliner frame...any other suggestions?
Um something other than a Freightshaker...
Old 02-26-2007, 02:59 PM
Banned

a dodge megacab with a ford interior for the body
Old 02-26-2007, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by getblown5.9
a dodge megacab with a ford interior for the body
Dont forget the Ford sheetmetal, much stronger then the old Dentin' Dodge
Old 02-26-2007, 04:05 PM

Inline is the best!!!

Well when Ford and Gm finally admit that inline power is better and they make the switch the diesel world will be a happy place!! Untill then they deserve all the problems they get!! All the problems just so they can say "yeah we got a V-8"
Old 02-26-2007, 04:59 PM

ya its to simple to put a motor in thats functional and strong. instead the keep building all these V8s that are paperweights instead
Old 02-26-2007, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by jwb600
ya its to simple to put a motor in thats functional and strong. instead the keep building all these V8s that are paperweights instead

Yeap so true! Like a few big shots told me at SEMA if one would make the jump so would the other one! But one wont move till the ohter does because in the minds of some customers you cant beat the V8 logo. Well like I said the sooner they make the switch the better off they will be
Old 02-26-2007, 07:43 PM

v8s

A well built v8 can hold up my old man has 5 or 6 6.9s and 7.3s with over 600K on them , only thing replaced was injection pumps every 100K. Nothing else ever repaired . I agree that an i6 is abetter engine but anyone that claims that a v8 diesel cant hold up is full of doody
Old 02-26-2007, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by hobbes2
A well built v8 can hold up my old man has 5 or 6 6.9s and 7.3s with over 600K on them , only thing replaced was injection pumps every 100K. Nothing else ever repaired . I agree that an i6 is abetter engine but anyone that claims that a v8 diesel cant hold up is full of doody.

Oh I agree that the v8 can hold up! yeah the 6.9s and 7.3 strokes were great engines. I have said that before. I am talking about the marketing arm of the manufactures they way they are pumping the v8 like it is american muscle like in the gassers. Lets face it a diehard american loves the V8! Just seems like lately the v8 guys have been having all kinds of problems and recalls. They are pushing it so far seems like they just want to hold on to it! No if the government wouldnt change emission laws and manufactures always wanting to do something new they would still have to ole time tested Stroke!!
Old 02-26-2007, 08:10 PM

Our service department guys tried tons of trucks when I worked for Caterpillar. the old 7.3s had 500-700K miles on them then the company let the mechanics pick there new service truck either ford or gm! ( couldnt have a cummins in a cat service truck!!) It seemed like everybody was having probs with the new v-8 engines from sensors to pumps and tons of other little glitches! Wasnt to long that they sold the whole fleet at auction and moved to the Med-duty so we could run the cats!
Old 02-26-2007, 09:11 PM

I've been thinking about this whole thing since posting the news this morning, and also looked at the Ford diesel site, wow has it exploded over there! And no - I didn't post it there.

Here's my take on this situaiton; as unfortunate as it is, this has been a buisness relationship, and it seems there's been a lot of trials in this relationship. I cannot help but think, in the end, that this is going to really hurt Navistar overall. They can turn off the supply to Ford, but overall, how much of a threat to Ford (even with their current cash problems) is this overall? Now with Navistar being delisted from the NYSE, they are not exactly in a powerful barganing position as well.

I hope this can be resolved, I don't like to see any company suffer. However it may bring to light some of the inherant difficulties the manufactures are having with '07 emission regualtions, feasability and cost effectiveness of new diesel engines, and long-term business realtionship practices.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by pind
the DT360 is comparable to the ISB 5.9 Basically the same size of engine. Not always as reliable as the 466, but very close. Would be worth a look for any company serious about building a diesel powered light truck.
Not quite comparable to an ISB.... MUCH larger... it's only ~1.5" shorter (in length) and just a tad shorter in height than the DT466... They also do not make them anymore and haven't for awhile. They are a long stroke small bore engine so they aren't exactly a good candidate for a light duty truck engine as they are pretty sluggish to wind up.

I have an IH 886 and it has the D360 with the Robert-Bosch pump on it rated at ~90hp. Great tractor engine, tons of low end grunt and staying power, not to mention 30% torque rise (heck of a feat for a late 70's tractor on mechanical injection)... But still WAY to heavy (somewhere in the neighborhood of 1300#) for a light truck and even though I have tuned a few to spin well past the 350hp mark with P-Pumps and a modded 3LM Schwitzer they still take forever to wind up... Oh yeah almost forgot the gargantuan flywheel they use/need.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:46 PM

I am a dodge man myself but a guy i know of just got an 08 king ranch psd and i somehow found myself drooling over the interior It is a quality truck they just need to work the bugs out

Quick Reply: Navistar Suspends 6.4L Powerstroke production