General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Navistar to resume shipping diesel engines

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 54larry
Yeah. I would really want a $50k truck with a motor the manufacturer made under protest.
excellent point
Old 03-02-2007, 02:04 PM
Chapter President

So who wants to start betting on who the new engine manufacturer for Ford will be? I'm betting Ford will stay with Navistar as long as it takes to get the other manufacturer up to speed.
I can see it now, "The new 2010 Ford Super Duty, with the revolutionary 6.8L Power Crank Diesel by Mitsubishi".
My bets would be more along the lines of CAT, Toyota, or Nissan.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Duallydog
So who wants to start betting on who the new engine manufacturer for Ford will be? I'm betting Ford will stay with Navistar as long as it takes to get the other manufacturer up to speed.
I can see it now, "The new 2010 Ford Super Duty, with the revolutionary 6.8L Power Crank Diesel by Mitsubishi".
My bets would be more along the lines of CAT, Toyota, or Nissan.

After the Sick.Oh disaster I'm surprised they didn't just go in-house and start from scratch, hiring the best and brightest from diesel engine manufacturers worldwide. They certainly sell enough diesels to justify it. On the other hand, the fact they didn't go that route may be a testament to the fact that they know they're the ones who managed to screw up the 6.0, not Navistar.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:27 PM

Actually I don't think you guys are too far off. My brother works at one of these diesel manufacturers and says Cummins is working on a V-8 version for Ford. Only time will tell.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by jawmail
Actually I don't think you guys are too far off. My brother works at one of these diesel manufacturers and says Cummins is working on a V-8 version for Ford. Only time will tell.
This V8 you speak of is going in 1500 dodges and durango's. Also a v6 in the works if my memory is correct. People just want you to believe ford and cummins are related in some way. Don't believe everything you read/hear. So, maybe I'm full of it and the other guy you talked to isn't. Now you don't know what to think....
Old 03-02-2007, 03:40 PM

We he says it's for the 2500's and 3500's. It would be a nice truck if it were true. Who knows he could be full of beans but that's what he said.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:46 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
This whole story is fun to watch from a distance, but what a sad story it is. Navistar is not going to cheapen the engines just because they are under a court order, but we all know the end is comming for the relationship between Ford and Navistar. It just has to be, with all the trouble and tension there. So now what? Another "new" and "improved" Ford Diesel? Sheesh. (and don't forget to pull the body off when you try to work on it)

It would be funny if it wasn't such a disaster, or it would be a disaser if it wasn't so funny. There is no way Ford can base a solid reputation on this kind of stuff, and more than anything, they need a solid reputation. They need it bad.

I'm definately staying tuned for the next chapter! They are in so deep with the 6.0 problems and now the argument with Navistar. The hype around the new 6.4 and their disastrous financial position, that I can't see how they are going to be OK.

Wetspirit
Old 03-03-2007, 02:01 PM

What suprises me is that Ford WANTS to continue with the 6.4 Navistar engine, they are reportedly having some BIG TIME troubles already with the engine. One of the carriers, FedEx I believe, was delivered a ton of new vehicles with this engine and most all of them are now in the shop with some serious problems. Also, some school bus company ordered several busses with the new engine and all of them are having problems. Ford would have been better off letting the Navistar go and going with someone else. They sure don't learn easily do they?

CD
Old 03-03-2007, 02:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CD in NM
They sure don't learn easily do they?
Wnen you buy a Ford you are a guinea pig.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:18 PM

I don't think Nav would intentional sabatage a engine they put there name on, They have other customers they sell to, and that would look very bad. What I dont understand is the yhad a pretty solid engine with the 7.3, not selfdestructing like its little bro 6.0. Why not go look at that some, and build off that platform instead of reinventing the wheel. Maybe the 6.4 will be better but I have my doubts, It doesn't matter what I think though as I wouldn't buy a ford if it had a CAT, CUMMINS, or DETRIOT for an engine.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:33 PM

...HERE YOU GO...THANK YOU FOR BUYING A NEW FERD SD...HERE IS THE TRUCK AND THE CARDBOARD BOX IN THE BED... THATS JUST EXTRA ENGINE PARTS...LEFT OVERS "OMG PARTS"as we used to call em !
Old 03-03-2007, 08:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
At least Ford is trying to tighten up Navs program. Alot more than DC did about the VP44's and lift pump issues of years past.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:09 AM

People can be bitter about building those engines all they want, but Ford is the one who is forcing the 1000+ workers to build their engines. Last time I checked, some pay is better than no pay.

Does anyone know where Navistar employee's stand in this urinating contest? For? Against? I know it was over wages, but were the employees not getting enough, or was Navistar not getting enough to cover what they're paying their employee's?

Has anyone seen how low Ford's stock is? That's pretty rock bottom if you ask me. Though it hasn't fluctuated as bad as Navistar's who's stock dropped almost 10 dollars last month.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mark Hodowanec
heh, this'll be good.....
Old 03-05-2007, 05:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Latest news on the Family Feud...

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...4002/1528/FREE

Pertenent quotes:

"Late last week, a Michigan judge issued a temporary order forcing International to resume production of the Super Duty's 6.4-liter diesel engine. In return, the judge ordered Ford to pay full price for the engine, rather than demand reimbursement for hefty warranty costs on the previous version."

"On Feb. 23, Ford tried to ease dealers' concerns with a memo stating that the dispute with International would be settled before Ford ran out of diesel engines and had to curtail production at its Kentucky Truck plant in Louisville, where all its Super Duty trucks are built.

But less than a week later, it had to backtrack. Super Duty production was trimmed Thursday, March 1, and suspended entirely Friday. Starting today, March 5, the plant will run on one shift, down from three, for an indefinite period."

"In its lawsuit, Ford said the old diesel suffered malfunctions with the fuel system, turbocharger and engine management software. Some early engines made in 2002 and 2003 were so bad, Ford repurchased at least 500 trucks from disgruntled consumers.

Ford has never disclosed the precise amount of those warranty claims, but losses may have totaled hundreds of millions of dollars. "

Quick Reply: Navistar to resume shipping diesel engines