General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Is my wife the only one who gets worse MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 05:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No one can drive my truck and get as good of mileage or be as smooth, my truck is so herky jerky that when my friend TRIED to drive it he was scratching the tires everytime he was going through 2nd gear from bouncing. I WILL NOT ever let a girl drive it, and I honestly can't stand letting anyone else drive it, I nearly cried when the state inspection guy took it around the block and I heard him break the tires loose in an intersection!!! The truck was even in valet mode with the AFC at FR... My ex GF has an '04.5 and she only gets 14-15mpg, I could pretty easily get 19.2-20mpg (on the overhead mind you) but you ever tried to tell her that you were asking for death... lol.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Muddin_dude06
I WILL NOT ever let a girl drive it, and I honestly can't stand letting anyone else drive it

X 2!!!!

I hate other people driving my truck. So far, I have driven it, and so did my brother, but I would trust him with most anything I own that is not electronics worst is probably taking these trucks into the dealer or similar, cause you know those monkeys in the shop don't just do the work, and then repark it. everything requires a test drive afterwards... Ex: I just had my ECM reflashed today, in order to accomplish this, they put 16 miles on the truck, messed with my radio displays (Sony HU), and totally hosed the settings on my driver's seat.

to get my hands on that little *******
Old 06-20-2007, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess I'm very lucky as my wife can get as good of mileage as I do in my truck and she does not drive it all that often. Ok I must admit that once I explained to her that you don't drive it like a gas engine an to use the TQ not the HP made a big difference in her getting good mileage when she drives.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:57 PM

Just filled up the little TDI Beetle that my wife has been driving for a couple of weeks. She only got 40mpg to my 49mpg. I think I need to send her to driving school.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by hamilton71801
I think I need to send her to driving school.
Yea, fill us in on how that turns out.............

BTDT, almost got the divorce papers to show for it.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:04 PM

My wife is a good driver, but I get a lot better MPG than she does. Some where I posted a trip Casa Grande AZ to Houston TX. She drove to Houston, ave speed 58 MPH ave MPG, hand caculated was about 14 or so. I drove truck back to AZ ave speed 57 MPH MPG was about 17. Post the exact numbers a long time ago. She hit higer speeds than I did, and did not use cruise control.
But I sit on my hands and keep my mouth shut.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:15 PM
Banned

I dont have any of your problems. my wife has NEVER driven my truck. i just dont think she will care enough about it to not jump the pedal when its cold, to wait for it to cool down prior to shutting off, not let it idle for 45 minutes when she talks to her friend, to not spill coffee all over my interior, to not park so close to the shopping cart rack........
Old 06-20-2007, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by DBLR
I guess I'm very lucky as my wife can get as good of mileage as I do in my truck and she does not drive it all that often. Ok I must admit that once I explained to her that you don't drive it like a gas engine an to use the TQ not the HP made a big difference in her getting good mileage when she drives.
You have a sharp wife if she understands the difference between torque and horse power. I would bet the average man doesn't even know the difference.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My wife can kill mileage in my truck too. She tells me she shifts before 2K and doesnt hot rod it. I dont get it. Easy 2mpg less, if not more. Her Intrepid constantly shows about 17-19 on the overhead also.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:30 AM

My G/F under stand HP/TQ witch is realy nice. The only problem is she was hard core on the breaks untell i made her do her own break job on her car witch was 6 mouths after i did the other one. Then i took her out and showed her how to break and how to break with out snapping your neck and other trick. Then i get in the car with her mom and find out where she picked it all up. This woman thinks she owns the road and that tires and pads are free. I did the chick thing and ask to get out of the car after she wipped across 4 lanes of trafic in under a 100 yards. In the same car a mazda 3 i get 33-34mpg my G/F gets 30-31 witch is good but she speeds up and slows down a lot. Her mom does not know why she got 24mpg on a 500mile road trip, told me that something was wrong with the car. I drove it home and got 34mpg. I dont ride any where with her mom unless i or her dad is drive who has a CDL.

Just want to pull my hair out sometimes.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Brakes: a clever invention designed to turn fuel into wasted heat.

If more people drove like they understood that, they'd get better mpg for sure.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by HOHN
Brakes: a clever invention designed to turn fuel into wasted heat.

If more people drove like they understood that, they'd get better mpg for sure.
Unless your in a Prius which uses the brakes to recharge the batteries.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:57 AM

me and the wife drove from hubert,nc to sourlake, tx back in dec of 05. i finally let her drive. i was gettin around 19-20. she drove for about 4 hours, and averaged about 15-17. same as all yall, on off on off on off. she has a jeep and she revs the heck out of it. she averages about 10 mpg, when i can get almost 13. she likes doing last minute break stands trying to see if she can get the jeep to stand on the front 2 wheels. sometimes i have to let her drive when we would leave a bar or dance hall, and my dodge is an auto. when i drive, i pretty much dont stand on it from a take off until the converter has locked in. her, hold to floor, and listen to engine scream. then its on off on off on off/ lock unlock lock unlock. i have told her time and time again about letting the torque do the work. you dont have to rev it like a funny car offf the line. when i was in iraq, she emaile me and said that "my truck was eating up the diesel. this things only averaging around town about 13. i average 15-16. go figure. its a neverending saga!!
Old 06-21-2007, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by hamilton71801
I think I need to send her to driving school.

I'm still looking for a wife school that teaches driving also. A one week course is not enough.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:35 AM

Maybe it's my twisted sense of logic.

Have the wife/GF look after her own fuel, servicing, repairs on her own vehicle without the use of yours. Maybe they'll learn the hard way.