General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Is my wife the only one who gets worse MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is my wife the only one who gets worse MPG?

While doing the break-in thing (trying not to give the dealer a reason to deny any warranty issues) the display was showing about 18.3 mpg average after 400 miles. The first time my wife drives it for a dozen miles the total mpg drops to 17.6
She gets worse mileage in every other vehicle we got and she has the nerve to call me an aggressive driver!
I just need to edited by admin er, vent a little bit and wonder if this phenomenom occurs anywhere else...

Last edited by Totallyrad; 06-19-2007 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Profanity
Old 06-19-2007, 01:23 PM

You aren't the only one. My girl friend doesn't understand keep a constant rpm. In ANY kind of traffic, the accelerator is either ON or off. I get nausiated just thinking about riding with her. (She's scared to drive the truck more than I'm scared to let her drive it).
Old 06-19-2007, 01:37 PM

I too fall into this category... G/F has yet to drive mine, I am afraid of that one. Same thing, skinny pedal is a 2 position switch, on or off, with a relay connected so that if the skinny is in the off position, the brake comes on.

I don't think she would do well with the release clutch fully, then give throttle, and would definitely not do well with distance allowance for slowing down.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:39 PM

Not me lol my husband makes me drive his truck all the time cause I can get better than 13mpg outta it lol. He also says that since I baby it so much he likes me driving it cause when he gets it back it smokes more.....in reality its a pstroke and im afraid if I get on it something will brake lol.

But I do know some girls that drive like that (one minute your doing 55 the next 75 then back to 55) and it drives me insane.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:41 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Wifey is the same way.
Always on the gas, off the gas, on the gas, off the gas, on-off-on-off.........
She complained that she was getting TERRIBLE mileage on her Landcruiser,.....
I drove it for awhile and easily got 5 mpg better than she did on a GOOD day.

I think it's genetic.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Something extra on the second X Chromosome?
Old 06-19-2007, 02:27 PM

If all you guys have to complain about is the MPG your wife gets, you need to get down on your knees and thank the good Lord.

Mine thought the GPS was an auto-pilot system until she ran off the road.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:32 PM

It's always been that way for me. What's really annoying is she's only had 2 speeding tickets in her life. After years of replacing tires on RWD vehicles after she did 180's in intersections (it was always the tires, don'tcha know), I put her in an AWD Volvo wagon and she's happy. She does forget that her Volvo is AWD and my truck is 4wd. I've seen her do some smokey burnouts in my truck pulling out in traffic. I get 17 mpg around town, she gets 15, go figure.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:58 PM

I bet many of the guys on here would get worse mileage because they like to have fun in their trucks. If you were comparing men and women who are both driving casually and trying to conserve fuel, I think men do much better.

My experience with women is that they tend to not be able to hold a constant speed. In addition to that, they don't look down the road to see if cars are stopping. That means they are on the gas all the way until the point where they are braking.

Of course I am **** about timing lights and coasting a lot, anyone will get worse mileage than me.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:21 PM

well my wife drives the truck about 80% of the time....she gets worse mpg then I do and I make sure to remind her of that when I look and the overhead. I know its not that acurrate, but its still a good indicator of how the truck is being driven!!! thats okay though, i still love her!
Old 06-19-2007, 03:49 PM

Both my mother and my G/F drive like maniacs. Jack rabbit starts are an understatement. It is totally on the gas, off, or just on the verge of ABS kicking on. My mother drives an older Grand Cherokee and I actually get a headache and nausea when I ride with her anymore, and she complains about 2 things on that truck, Gas (at 15.5 mpg's I'd complain too) and Brake Pads (2 sets a year!!! and those are the autozone ceramic lifetime pads). My girlfriends minivan gets 18mpg, 26 on the highway if I remind her to use the cruise. Being that she lives in MI its the same cost for me to drive getting 20-21mpg in my 4x4 on the highway compared to her 2wd V-6 minivan...

They'll never learn either, thats the sad part, they constantly speed, and neither one has a ticket in history. Me on the other hand...I got a ticket in Canada on the QEW going 79 in a 62!?! 9 MPH over...errrrrr!!!
Old 06-19-2007, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
I quit trying to teach mine how to get better mileage when I realized the Egg I told her to visualize between the gas pedal and her foot was a hard boiled one.

Pretty much genetic I believe.....
Old 06-19-2007, 04:34 PM

My wife complains about her mpg as well, in a Sentra! I can get 30mpg out of it, I think she gets like 20. She drives with both feet, I don't think she ever takes her right foot off the gas. She will sit at a light engine revving,trans in D, light goes green, and whoooop, she is gone. I think she was a drag racer in a previous life.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I think it's more that women just have no "feel" for a vehicle. They seem to react to only what they see, which is always too late.

For example, women will step on the gas until they are already going too fast, the start slowing down too late so do it smoothly.

My Dad was good about teaching me a lot of tricks, like letting up on the brakes just as you are about to stop, to make it smoother.

I can guarantee about 2mpg better than my wife driving our minivan.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:40 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My wife gets better mileage in the gasser than me, but worse mileage in than me in the Diesel?

P.S. for the GPS/Autopilot...My dispatcher stands and stares at the fax machine waiting for emails all the time.

Quick Reply: Is my wife the only one who gets worse MPG?