General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

My truck got keyed

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck got keyed

Just turned 15,000 and some a hole ran a key down each side.
Did not get to steel. Any cheap fix?
Old 11-21-2008, 10:56 PM

not cool at all
how deep just got the clear coat or into paint
Old 11-21-2008, 11:33 PM

Yup, finish it up and turn it into insurance. . . There are some places out there that can do airbrush touch-up and then colorsand it back down. Can't even tell it was there...

That really sucks sorry to hear that Man!
Old 11-22-2008, 12:54 AM

A couple of years ago my dad and i woke to see the rear windows of his hummer "no not a bummer H2, but a real HUMMER H1" broke out . It had happened during the night, my dad got it fixed and started putting up alarms and such. About a mounth later they came back and were keying my moms car in the middle of the night " cause the hummer was now in the garage". Well the alarms worked and lets just say those kids didnt come back ever again . The one he got ahold of soon moved out of our town . Hate to be a but if your location is correct then there is one of your problem.

the reason that the kids stated they had done this was for the "environment"

the world we live in
Old 11-22-2008, 01:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hm, I would invest in an alarm with a perimeter sensor. That will chirp the siren when someone gets close to the vehicle. If you have a pager it will chirp as well. I keep mine next to my bed so it wakes me if anyone gets near it.
As far as the repair, its very difficult to match the color once that happens. If you can see color on all the scratches I would try getting some catalyzed clear urethane and using a model paintbrush fill in the gouges. Then wetsand with a block from 320 up to 2000 grit and then rub and glaze (I like the 3m stuff). You might get lucky and spare yourself a lot of $$$ in labor and paint. Otherwise you have to paint the entire panel over again. A bodyshop would fill the scratches and paint over it all, primer, sealer, color and clear. big bucks. Dont go too heavy on the sanding you only want to level it up.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:18 PM

first thing find out if it went down to the base coat (color of the truck ) if its has gone down to the base , repainting is need ..... as far as air brushing ,state in an earlyer post is not the best way ,, the areas will haze in about six months .... and using clear and fine brush will work better than air brushing... that would need to be block sanded down, but do not start with 320 grit .. you are dealing with clear coat not primer ,,,, block sand the clear down with 1000 grit very little and than 1500 grit and last with 2000 grit til smooth .. foam pad it with a high speed buffer ... if your unsure about the items to use to buff go to a "automotive paint supply" and they can help you out with the polishing compounds
Old 11-22-2008, 03:24 PM

if you do have to claim it on insurance ,,,and it has to be painted,, color match will not be a problem ,, now if the car or truck was faded or so on ,or older model ,yes color match will be noticeable.....
Old 11-22-2008, 03:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What would you guys do if you caught some tree hugger doing it in a parking lot? I'd be tempted to use his face to polish out the scratch but I'd get arrested.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:45 PM

i Just had some #$%$#$%#@ ram my truck with a shopping cart and freaking put 2 dents in it and chipped off some paint... i WISH i would have been out there when it happend.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by PaulDaisy
What would you guys do if you caught some tree hugger doing it in a parking lot? I'd be tempted to use his face to polish out the scratch but I'd get arrested.
id do what u would polish the scratch with the guys head but in that point in time i would be worried bout getting arrested
Old 11-23-2008, 06:49 PM

well ,, tie him to a tree and put some ben-gay on his ba*** ,,and tell him you did this to be green
Old 11-23-2008, 08:17 PM

Where was the truck when it happened? I'm curious because I live a few miles from SF. I got my window broken near 12th & Folsom about 2 years ago.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fricken treehuggers...
Old 11-24-2008, 11:13 AM

I don't know if this works but some guy told me he hooked a battery somehow up to the body of his car so that if you touched it it would ground threw your body and give you a good shock.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
Fricken treehuggers...
It's pretty ignorant to blame a group of people who most likely had nothing to do with this incident. I would be willing to bet that is was a couple of worthless kids who had nothing better to do than vandalize someone elses property... Not the so called "tree huggers."

Quick Reply: My truck got keyed