General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

My 1400 miles with my new (to me) CTD

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 1400 miles with my new (to me) CTD

Well, what a drive THAT was...

7/30, Hop a flight to Austin, TX from Raleigh, NC.. Get in around 1pm, meet owner, go have some lunch, and get to the shop around 3pm. I meet Moby Dick. Pretty close to what the pictures showed.. The truck has been maintained, but not loved. I proceed to load up the bed with a new in the box Moog trackbar, a bad-**** rear bumper (pics once I get that heavy SOB on), and the stock front bumper.

I made it east of Dallas the first night, about 120 miles from Texarkana.. Tried crashing at a KOA campground, but I could not get comfy in either the rear seat or in the front seat.. got about 1/2 hour of sleep, then I was getting bitten by bugs, and I had enough. At 2am, I clattered out of the KOA campground, and found the first cheap hotel. It was BAD.. peeling wallpaper, killed 3 roaches, but it was a bed, A/C, and a hot shower... I also bargained the manager down on the price.. 3:30am, I collapse into the bed.

7/31, 8am.. up and at 'em! Fueled with coffee and a fresh tank of diesel, Moby and I hit the road. The CD player (Alpine) plays CD's whenever it feels like it, so the radio is my friend. I love how the ATS tranny goes through the gears, and the slightly tweaked pump helps the truck move... can't WAIT to get the #10 in there! I give a call to Shortround, but the Mrs. informs me he's not at home. THANKS AGAIN for the offer! Driving, I see a Jeep TJ towing a 20' or so sailboat... Shoulda had a Cummins!

1pm: I stop at Subway in Nashville for some lunch. I hop in the truck, smile as the cup fits snugly into the cupholder (my last truck had crummy cupholders), and go to fire the beast.. cranka-cranka-cranka... uh-oh. A mild wave of panic sets in, and I first think to attempt contact with someone from the DTR... but wait... Iv'e been lurking here, reading, observing.. THINK, Rich! OK, good crank but no fire.. no fuel.. hmmm, fuel shut-off... I've already orderde a spare relay, but that doesn't help me here! well, I should just be able to pull it up manually like I've heard of people doing... but where is it?? (Yup, my first CTD).. I finally feel around, and find the boot that Infidel has mentioned, and start pulling, prodding, and poking until it moves up, and *click* locks into place. key the starter, and she's alive! woohoo!!

All along, I like how really quiet the cab is compared to my Toyota truck, and though the cat. is still there, the straight pipe isn't loud at all! I must just be used to flowmasters... Hey, what the? hmmm, well the fuel gauge never reads full after filling... oh well, another 2nd Gen idiosyncracy... no biggie. I'm getting around 15MPG cruising at 70-75mph... not bad, especially considering what I'm driving, and the deer-slayer front bumper that has to cut into the wind!

11pm... I put her to bed again just East of Knoxville, and as I soak in the tub, I realize what a funny idea it was to think about sleeping in the truck..

8/1, 8am.. on the road again, heading East on I-40, moutain time! The CTD doesn't seem to care if it's going uphill, downhill, it just pulls, with that reassuring throb that it's there... I love my truck. Upon cresting a hill right after the speed limit drops to 55, I get popped... 71 in a 55. Grrr.... Trooper didn't care that I've owner the vehicle less than 2 days, and I have NO idea how accurate or inaccurate the speedo is... or that the car next to me was actually going slightly FASTER than I was until he saw the trooper car, and nailed his brakes... I didn't think I was really going all that fast.. speedo was between 60-65. Time for another traffic lawyer! grrrrr. Tennesee Trooper.. 2 miles from the NC state line.

Made a few stops on the way home to see friends, and rolled in here around 6. Dropped my speed to a true 60-65, gained another 1 mpg..

Recap:
1: I LOVE MY TRUCK!!! I'm glad I held out for exactly what I wanted.
2: Wacky fuel gauge
3: bad fuel shutoff relay, and that '98 12v's don't have the infamous "blue wire of death"
4: the fuel pedal is wacky.. the first half of its travel is pretty easy, but beyond that, there's a "step", and the amount of pressure required is quite a bit more... could it be the TV cable?
5: Brakes pull to the right slightly when applied hard.. could be related to #6
6: trac bar! no surprise there, with 215k on the odometer.
7: empty 3500's bounce like crazy on rough surfaces!
8: Who cares about the niggly things.. I'm driving one big, bad truck with an attitude!
9: I'm never filling at the "auto" diesel pump again!!! that little nozzle takes FOREVER!!
10: I can't believe I waited so long to see the light..

Anyone got an idea on #4?
Old 08-01-2004, 09:03 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: My 1400 miles with my new (to me) CTD

Originally posted by Eskimo
9: I'm never filling at the "auto" diesel pump again!!! that little nozzle takes FOREVER!!
Take note that one of the reasons the fuel gauge doesn't read correctly is because the fast fuel delivery by the big nozzle pumps, damages the fuel level sending unit.

Old 08-02-2004, 06:01 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
4: the fuel pedal is wacky.. the first half of its travel is pretty easy, but beyond that, there's a "step", and the amount of pressure required is quite a bit more... could it be the TV cable?
Has the throttle cable recall been done?
Old 08-02-2004, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by infidel
That was included up until 1998? THought it was only the earlier years?

I'll stop by the dealer tomorrow and have them run the VIN.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Truck

Congratulations. You will like it. Easy to drive, maintain and modify. You will have fun.

John (DH)
Old 08-02-2004, 08:49 AM
Banned

Wink Coulda been my truck

Well, glad you're happy with the big whale there buddy.All the small piddly problems woulda pi$$ed me off ...i was hoping to have dinner or lunch with ya'll but i guess maybe next time.He says that pump was turned up, but the tamper proof screw on the pump was never touched,so i know you'll like the #10 plate! ...stinks about the ticket..hope that gets resolved fairly easy.At least the truck went to a good home.The throttle cable recall "should" be valid for that thing and that will definetly solve your stiff pedal problem.Time to take all those stupid stickers off it now LOL take care, and good luck--Greg
Old 08-02-2004, 09:37 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by infidel
On second thought the recall might only go to '97. Another thing that can happen on these that causes the symptoms you describe is there are two small bolts that hold the throttle linkage plate (bell crank) tight. Not uncommon for one to come loose or even fall out. Operate the throttle manually from under the hood and you'll find the problem.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by Eskimo
That was included up until 1998? THought it was only the earlier years?

I'll stop by the dealer tomorrow and have them run the VIN.
Run them thru this and might save yourself the drive and wait... http://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/...m%28%27R%27%29 It will bring up any recalls on your truck that has not been done. Goodluck,,,Rick
Old 08-02-2004, 10:49 AM

Re: Coulda been my truck

Originally posted by Cummnzpowr
Well, glad you're happy with the big whale there buddy.All the small piddly problems woulda pi$$ed me off ...i was hoping to have dinner or lunch with ya'll but i guess maybe next time.He says that pump was turned up, but the tamper proof screw on the pump was never touched,so i know you'll like the #10 plate!
Did you ever gimme your number? Donald couldn't find it, and I didn't have it with me... SORRY!

I punched in the VIN on the Dodge web site (THANKS Kandgo!) and I have an outstanding recall for the "Throttle linkage joints".. so I'll get that taken care of ASAP. Outta be funny to take in a 6 year old truck with over 200,000 for warranty work... Wait, is Infidel right AGAIN?? Of course... Seriously, Infidel.. you da man.

The pre-boost screw has certainly been adjusted... and if you're saying the starwheel hasn't even been touched (The tamper screw), I can't WAIT to get the gauges & #10 in!!! The cat will shortly go missing as well, until I can save up for Rip's duals.

Speaking of good home.. I gave her a bath before I left Texas, and I've been attacking the interior at every red light with Fantastik. Gonna have to remove the cupholder completely to clean it, though.. it's soooo nasty!

EDIT: Sweeet, truck is going in next tuesday for the linkage recall..
Old 08-02-2004, 04:16 PM
Banned

The AFC housing and Plate {stock} have not been touched, he MIGHT have adjusted the starwheel but that's not going to give it much.I can't believe ol' Donald drove that beast with stock power and an ATS stage IV what a waste huh? not anymore..
Old 08-03-2004, 08:12 AM

I'm glad he did... there were a number of teething problems with the tranny... solved by a "pressure transducer" that needed to be added.

Yesterday... cleaned the steering wheel, door panels, and the armrest... I'm gettin there! The steering wheel needs a few more cleanings, and a good soak in some leather conditioner.

And the darndest thing happened yesterday... the cat fell off!! darn Dodge diesels, always losing their exhaust components!! power delivery is much smoother now.. and it's really not much louder inside at all! outside, however..

Now to track down why it spontaneously shift out of OD when it's raining.. Scared the HECK outta me!

Also gotta find out why there's a little white box with a DTT label on it connected to the trans computer.... I know why Donald put the truck up for sale... but a little TLC fixes all the nags!
Old 08-03-2004, 09:09 AM

Sounds like a fun trip. If I was you when i saw tat tropper id nailed it. and let the turbo do all the work. lol if ya knwo what i mean.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:05 PM
Banned

Eskimo: That little white box up near the airbox is the Tranny Voltage regulator, at the the time ATS didnt offer one to Donald..and it kept chewing through 3rd gear and wouldn't shift right.Why a DTT? i'll never know, but it works