Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Medium Duty Rollback???

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Medium Duty Rollback???

Figured I'd fire out a question for you guys opinions!

We had a GM 3500HD with a 15' rollback bed...stolen 3 weeks ago. Couldn't be happier about it either. Bed was fine, truck was a HUGE POS!!!!

Looking at new medium dutiyes to replace it! So far I'm looked at the GM 5500's, and ruled them out. Right now, the choices are Chevy 6500, IH 4300 Lo-Pro, or an FL60. I'm looking for something under CDL, and Lo-Pro to keep bed height as low as possible!

For the bed, we're looking at the Century 15 (I think, might be the 10 series) Series Aluminum 21' beds, but I have also looked at Jerr-Dan, Jenkin's and Kilar! Leaning towards the Century, mostly because the salesman actually seemed to WANT to talk to us

Basically I wanna hear you're options on the trucks. The only real reason Chevy is even a choice is because my Grandpa is retired from GM, and we get employee pricing The IH was recommended by another equipment dealer that started using them after lots of GM's. The Freightliner's are also good trucks, but the dealers around here are so-so. We have an FL80 that's given us lots of good service!

BTW, if you don't know, We own and operate a AG machinery dealership...the truck will be used to haul tractors and other farm machinery. We'll use this thing anytime the equipment won't go easily on a trailer, or if it needs the rolloff truck Probably 30-40K miles a year....but they'll mostly be loaded, short hauls, in and out of barn lots and mostly tight spaces

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post
Chris
Old 10-19-2006, 05:44 PM

Why not the Ford 650 with my favorite motor?

Old 10-19-2006, 09:52 PM

I drive an IH 4300 lo pro daily and love the truck. We have about 105,000 miles on it now and have had a few troubles. So here's what we had wrong and what you should get. First get the DT466. I understand from the dealers that the 365 or better known in the Fords as a 6 litre Powerstroke is a bunch of trouble. I had a mechanic at IH tell me that they were no good and to stay away from them. We have a 195 hp DT466, very good on fuel. BTW we have a 16 ft. van body on ours. We have a 5-speed alison automatic, since they found a wiring problem it has been great. We have juice brakes( 4 wheel discs) what ever you do don't get these. I don't even want to know how many thousand $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ we spent on those. This is a highway truck and the pads and rotors have been off it so many times if lost count. If its not a caliper sticking its the pad falling off the metal backing plate. Rears have been done a few times in the past summer. The dealer told me if it happens again we are going after IH for replacements. BTW its not because we are hard on them its just a problem. So get air brakes if you can, our other 4300 has air and 150,000 miles on it with only adjustments. Hope this helps.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FYI: F650 also comes equipped with an Allison 6spd behind the Cummins!

Rick
Old 10-19-2006, 10:51 PM
DTR's "Secret Agent"

Chris, the century bed u will love to death. we have one and we put it to work. If you go with a midsize truck why not go with a steel bed? its strong and will last longer. Far as a truck i love the FLs but here lately from all the Tow Times, towing footnotes the truck to buy is a ford 650. And if u want someone to treat u right, call Speedway Wreckers in Indy or Zips in Iowa
Old 10-20-2006, 07:32 AM
Chapter President

Could you wait for one of these-
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=120616
Old 10-20-2006, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by RAT_03
Chris, the century bed u will love to death. we have one and we put it to work. If you go with a midsize truck why not go with a steel bed? its strong and will last longer. Far as a truck i love the FLs but here lately from all the Tow Times, towing footnotes the truck to buy is a ford 650. And if u want someone to treat u right, call Speedway Wreckers in Indy or Zips in Iowa
Already Talked to Speedway Wreckers...Pretty much decided that's where we're getting the bed! On the Steel vs. Aluminum, steel rusts, and we use chains and haul equipment that is gonna scratch the paint right off. For about $2K we can have Aluminum, that we won't have to worry about rusting out! The last bed we had was a 1984 Landoll Centerfold Aluminum, and had well over 400K miles of abuse on 1-ton trucks (wore out 4 trucks on theat same bed! The Aluminum is tough enough, lighter, and we don't have to worry about keeping it painted!

As far as a Ford...sorry, no good dealer close. I've also been told the IH's will turn better by a Die hard ford guy around here that owns a wrecker business. That means a lot for us!

I'm not opposed to anything, but I have a good friend that works on IH Buses at the local school district. That will definatly help out on the small issues We know we'll have troubles with all of them, but service is what we're looking for!

Thanks for all the opinions, keep them coming!
Chris
Old 10-20-2006, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by haloman
Not big enough, and I couldn't convince Dad to buy a Dodge for the business for anything. The only reason I own two is because they have proven to him to gett better fuel mileage doing the same or more work than his Chevy gases!

In a rollback truck, mileage isn't too big an issue...more truck toughness, and servicability! I don't think the Dodge's will be any better than the 4500/5500 Chevy's, which we've already decided aren't what we're looking for. Light duty drivetrain in a medium duty truck

Thanks Though,
Chris
Old 10-20-2006, 09:04 AM
Chapter President

Well I guess DC needs to get on the ball with a 6500/7500 too, never thought about those, everyone is so excited about 4500/5500
Old 10-20-2006, 10:51 AM
DTR's "Secret Agent"

Originally Posted by signature600
Already Talked to Speedway Wreckers...Pretty much decided that's where we're getting the bed! On the Steel vs. Aluminum, steel rusts, and we use chains and haul equipment that is gonna scratch the paint right off. For about $2K we can have Aluminum, that we won't have to worry about rusting out! The last bed we had was a 1984 Landoll Centerfold Aluminum, and had well over 400K miles of abuse on 1-ton trucks (wore out 4 trucks on theat same bed! The Aluminum is tough enough, lighter, and we don't have to worry about keeping it painted!

As far as a Ford...sorry, no good dealer close. I've also been told the IH's will turn better by a Die hard ford guy around here that owns a wrecker business. That means a lot for us!

I'm not opposed to anything, but I have a good friend that works on IH Buses at the local school district. That will definatly help out on the small issues We know we'll have troubles with all of them, but service is what we're looking for!

Thanks for all the opinions, keep them coming!
Chris
IH is a good truck, what size of bed are you going with?
we have a 20 footer and sometimes its even to small.
If you go with a century try to get removable rails so if u haul something wide you wont bend up your side railing.
oh and get an LED light bar!!!!!!!
Old 10-20-2006, 11:26 AM

21' 102" wide with no rails. Most of what we haul is wide

LED light bars are nice, but for $2000, I'll pass

Thanks,
Chris
Old 10-21-2006, 05:38 PM

I'm really dissappointed in you guys Chris, I can't believe you aren't out searching for the ton truck every day and night it was such a "jewel".

Adam
Old 10-21-2006, 06:53 PM

You watch...just as we go to pickup a new truck, those wonderful FayCo Sheriff's will come rolling in with the old one. They can't catch a thief when they take something worthwhile, so they'll be bound to find that truck!!

Chris
Old 10-21-2006, 07:37 PM

The company I worked for has 3 International's 4700 with the DT466. 1997, 1999, & 2001. The 99 & 01 have Vulcan 21' steel decks with removeable rails. The 97 is a wrecker. With each truck we have learned a little more each time. They all have manual tans, 6+1. A new Sterling with a JerrDan deck was purchased last year, and in less then a year was "lemon lawed". It did have an Allison 5sp auto, which after driving, I would never go back to stick unless I had too. Been very happy with the Vulcan decks and the IH's. A previous 1994 IH had an aluminum JerrDan, aluminum decks are great, was not too excited about the JerrDan. The Sterling had a JerrDan, and thought that would be better since Oshkosh Truck bought them out. It was a little better, but was not upset when the truck went back. The new replacement, almost ready, 2007 Pete 335 with a Chevron aluminum 21' X102"w/removeable rails. It my opinion the Chevron is one of the best made decks. Vulcan & Century would also be excellent choices, and I would not consider any others. I'm glad the boss is returning to aluminum decks. With hauling so many crashed vehicles, the painted decks look like crap and have to be constanly touched up. With aluminum, if you scratch it, it is still aluminum... One of the best up-grades is to switch to air brakes, and "large" rubber with the "low pro" trucks. The air brakes stop so much better, and when you park, the truck stays "parked". The air-ride suspension is been another major up-grade. The load rides so much better, and so does the driver. With the air suspension, you can dump the air, and the bed height is lowered about 6 inches for loading & un-loading. Also, if the truck is under 26,000 no CDL is required, even if air braked equiped. As for the LED lightbar, yes very nice, and very costly. Size does not matter on a truck compared to the roof of a cruiser. You can buy a quality strobe bar, Tomar or Whelen for a whole lot less, and it will do an excellent job. Yes, the new Pete has a Cummins.
A Ford or Chev will cost less, but in a medium duty, they have very low re-sale. As they say, you get what you pay for. If you plan on keeping the truck for a long time, I would spend the little extra and go with Pete or KW, and then IH, Freightliner M2. These medium trucks also have a shorter turning radius then our Ford F550... This is a very big investment, don't let one salesperson sell you on "something" because they are "close". Find a
company that handles several types of decks, and will put any truck under it. Usually they can sell a truck cheaper then what you can by the cab/chassis
for anyway. I guess we are fortunate that we have an excellent "tow truck" dealer within a 45 minute drive. These are my opinions, and I do not work for a dealer, just a "tow guy" who takes pride in the equipment. Good luck with your new truck.
Jim
Old 10-21-2006, 10:04 PM

I still believe the ford is the best option here....

Quick Reply: Medium Duty Rollback???