General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Magnets & Air Filters

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 12:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure the filtermags work great but they are pricey. Just get some neobedydum (sp?) magnets and stick em' to the filter and you'll get the same effect.
Yes, they are a little pricey. I, too, had decided just to make my own. However, after checking around a little, it was not cost effective to try to purchase the number of magnets included in the FilterMags.

The following is interesting to read:
Rare Earth magnets have a high resistance to demagnetization, unlike most other types of magnets. They will not lose their magnetization around other magnets or if dropped. They will however, begin to lose strength if they are heated above their maximum operating temperature, which is 176°F (80°C) for standard N grades. They will completely lose their magnetization if heated above their Curie temperature, which is 590°F (310°C) for standard N grades.

N35, N38, N42, N38SH...what does it all mean? Neodymium magnets are all graded by the material they are made of. As a very general rule, the higher the grade (the number following the 'N'), the stronger the magnet. The highest grade of neodymium magnet currently available is N50. Any letter following the grade refers to the temperature rating of the magnet. If there are no letters following the grade, then the magnet is standard temperature neodymium. The temperature ratings are standard (no designation) - M - H - SH - UH - EH

And a chart with some useful info:
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/specs.asp

--Eric
Old 10-13-2008, 12:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Another source for cheap magnets.

http://www.radioshack.com/search/ind...w=magnets&sr=1

MikeyB
Old 10-13-2008, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by enafzige
I installed a clamshell filtermag on the outside of the 2-micron GDP fuel filter I added. I'm running a 7-micron in the factory canister, and a strainer before the Walbro pump.

The pictures below depict ferrous particles caught by the filtermag that made it past the other filters.

--Eric
Are you sure the captured metal isn't the result of cutting open the filter can?
Old 10-13-2008, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by David Basart
2. What is the thought on the AMSOIL Ea Air Filters (EaA)?

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaa.aspx
I have the EaA stock replacement filter. I think it is 5 years old. I take it out of the box and blow it out twice per year.
I was lucky to get a year out of the regular paper element (and I also blew it out). I used a BHAF for a few years, but got tired of the whistle.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by enafzige
I think some people may be confused. The FilterMags don't have anything to do with filtering air...they're used on oil filters, fuel filters, etc.

I installed a clamshell filtermag on the outside of the 2-micron GDP fuel filter I added. I'm running a 7-micron in the factory canister, and a strainer before the Walbro pump.

The pictures below depict ferrous particles caught by the filtermag that made it past the other filters.
There is only one thing wrong with your analysis. The stuff trapped on the side of the filter would have been caught in the filter media as soon as the fuel that it was suspended in passed through and went up the draw tube. The magnet just got it first and held it there.