General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.
View Poll Results: which additive do you use?
Powerservice
75.00%
Lucas Oil
25.00%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Lucas vs powerservice

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lucas vs powerservice

I know there have been lots of threads about fuel additive but never an product to product comparison..

My local auto parts sotre has Lucas Oil fuel additive and I have a tank on that in now. It has really quieted down my 05 Knock...

Tonight I went to Walmart and pickrd up a bottle of Powerserve (white bottle)...

Which do you use and why do you think it is better than the other???
Old 08-22-2005, 12:40 AM

I use powerservice. Its cheaper and I got the same mileage increase. I get the smaller bottles and add about a half a bottle per fill up. I'm on the stock lp and ip with almost 130,000 on it.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:45 AM
Banned

I use lucas every tank and noticed a 1-2mpg increase depending on how I drive. If I run a tank without it my mileage goes to the dogs. I've tried power service and didn't have any luck with it but then again I'm sure there are people who have tried lucas and it didn't do anything for them either.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:16 AM

I add 4oz MMO+12oz PS Kleen each fillup. I also add 4oz MMO to all my gassers and ~oz in all my 4 stroke power equip.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:20 AM

I run a combination of Lucas/power service 50/50. Seems to work best for me in both my trucks.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:35 AM

I am with 67HotRod, 50/50 Lucas/power service. Just wish I could find a better price on the Lucas, in the past I could find it for $20 a gal but last I looked it was claser to $25
Old 08-22-2005, 08:22 AM

blown32, I shopped around. Best price (lucas) was an independent parts store $17 a gallon.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:44 AM

Hey Gerry. Were's Stanadyne? I use Stanadyne. I've heard nothing but good about it and plus I get @ cost since we sell it at work. I actually have used it for awhile before we started selling it. Tye
Old 08-22-2005, 12:37 PM

Man, I just went to Wal-Mart to pick up a couple of quarts of Power Service Diesel Kleen with Cetane and saw (2) 96oz. jugs, off to the side and asked the auto parts guy to scan it. He said they were discontinuing the 96oz jug and sold them to me for $7 each. SMOKIN!!!
Old 08-22-2005, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stanadyne is good stuff. I feel the motor makes more power with it but it's much higher priced and not as easy to find here.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:21 PM

looked for it and could not find it localy... as it was I had to drive 17 miles to the nearest Walmart for the Power service.. City of Los Angeles won't grant any business licenses or permits for Walmart.. They don't like way Wally does business....

A little off subject but I was looking at the fule lines off the common rail. The #1 fuel line really thumps and vibrates.. It is the longest. I also saw that the other 5 lines have little blue vibration dampening clamps on them but not #1 which is the longest.. I am thinking about getting one of these clamps and fabricating it in..

That #1 line vibrating and pounding can't be good..

Gerry
Old 08-22-2005, 03:54 PM
Banned

Huge LUCAS fan................

Been using it since about 40K miles.

I go thru about 25-30 Gallons of diesel a day. Usually just put about 6 ounces of LUCAS in a day. It does quiet down my engine also. There have been times when my bottle ran out and it took a few days to get another bottle. Those are the days when I do notice the Sound of the engine.

Also, some here have talked about running "used oil" thru their engines. One of my customers I deliver to is a retired guy name "Pete". He has a shop outside of Decatur, TX. Pete's been working on and rebuilding Cummins Diesels for years and years. Loves them all from 2004 on back. He gave me some advice one time about using "Two Cycle" Oil in my diesel. Said to use about 8 ounces per every 35 gallons of diesel. Gave the advice because of Texas's "Dry Diesel", or something like that. Said it was the best thing for keeping the injectors lubed.

I was reluctant at first but decided to give a try. I don't put that oil in every tank of diesel I fill up with, maybe once a week, or every 4th-5th tank. I now have 132K miles and am still averaging 19-22 MPGs with a Dually and it still runs quiet and smooth!!

Anybody else using Two Cycle???
Old 08-22-2005, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 67HotRod
I run a combination of Lucas/power service 50/50. Seems to work best for me in both my trucks.
Same here.
Used to use straight powerservice, but then I saw the Lucas sitting on the shelf when I picked up a bottle of powerservice.

If I saw a bottle of Stanadyne, I'd give it a try, but haven't been able to find it locally

phox
Old 08-22-2005, 06:08 PM

I use Stanadyne. I've used it since the first time I put fuel in the truck. I also add a little Marvel Mystery Oil with the Stanadyne. I don't know how the truck would run otherwise.'

I order Stanadyne from Midwest Fuel Injection (www.mwfi.com).
Old 08-22-2005, 06:24 PM

One of the selling points for me in deciding on the Power Service is that it has cetane boosting properties. If I'm not mistaken, the Lucas and Stanadyne do not. I could be wrong though. Nevertheless, I would like to try their product. The Lucas is everywhere, but I can't find the Stanadyne around here at all.

Quick Reply: Lucas vs powerservice