General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Loud PSD turbo whistle

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know there is something about these Powerstrokes and Duramax's with an exhaust system either stacked, duals or a single 4" that doesn't sound right!! Combo of a gasser and diesel sound! I heard one guys old Chevy 1500 6.2 with duals and the rear sounded like a big block and the front had that awful GM 6.2 sound! Inline 6's to me when they are hooked up sound like those triple axle dumptrucks!
Old 07-03-2006, 12:59 AM

I guess that's why Cummins waited till 07 to unveil their variable design, wanted to make sure it wouldn't give ownersproblems.
the cummins turbo will be a sliding plate vgt were as the fords is a variable vain turbo. i think the dodges turbo will sound bad EDIT. that would be the perfect combo in my opinion, lots of whistle with butt loads of power from a cummins.

I may be prejudiced, but when I hear a 6.0 turbo whistling under light load, it makes me think that those engines rely on the turbo almost exclusively to be able to do anything.
youre right, they do rely on the turbo to do anything. i have a 6.0 ford work truck and love it but it goes no where without the turbo. too low of compression.

btw, its not just the 03s that whistle, its every year. turbos are basically the same just different programming.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:49 PM

You guys must be kidding me. That turbo sound is sick. When people hear it, they look over and admire it. When a semi takes off from a red light, you hear the exact same thing and its probably even louder. Is that also annoying and obnoxious?? I don't think so.

Anything to tear away at the competition eh?
Old 07-06-2006, 12:27 AM

I don't like the sound of a PSD, but there was one that I hear that was cool. I didn't hear an engine note at all, just the turbo. it must have been an 03
Old 07-06-2006, 09:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by shift220
You guys must be kidding me. That turbo sound is sick. When people hear it, they look over and admire it. When a semi takes off from a red light, you hear the exact same thing and its probably even louder. Is that also annoying and obnoxious?? I don't think so.

Lots of us on here myself included love the 7.3. It was a great engine that couldn't meet the newer emissions.

The 6.0 is a boat anchor. It is overly dependant on a poorly designed turbo. That means it howls like it's working when it's not. A semi turbo howls taking off because it's working, a 6.0 Excursion on it's way to soccer practice isn't.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 12valve
a guy told me the other day he installed a powerstroke turbo on his 1st gen. twas from a 7.3 though.
That seems like alot of plumbing work. Those 7.3 PSD turbos are pedistal mounted with o-rings and the oil supply and drain are in the pedistal, which is connected to the block the same way.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:18 PM

The 6.0 has proven to be a piece of junk. If it was a great motor, I doubt Ford would be buying back numerous 6.0s and sending out tons of TSB's and spending tons of money on warrantee work.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:40 PM

I didn't say anything about the 6.0 being a great reliable motor. I said it sounds wicked. Nobody in real life cares if its "working" or not. I just think this is a stupid rant just to tear away at any advantage that a powerstroke may have over the rest.

BTW, they built the Powerstroke to be driven by a turbo, so whats wrong with that? And don't give me crap on how unreliable they are, everyone here already knows that.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:39 PM

Take a couple of deep breaths man! This is a cummins site! Don't get all worked up about a few ford comments, you'll be angry all the time!
Old 07-06-2006, 10:41 PM

I didn't say anything about the 6.0 being a great reliable motor. I said it sounds wicked. Nobody in real life cares if its "working" or not. I just think this is a stupid rant just to tear away at any advantage that a powerstroke may have over the rest.

BTW, they built the Powerstroke to be driven by a turbo, so whats wrong with that? And don't give me crap on how unreliable they are, everyone here already knows that.
theres nothing really wrong with that as long as you have a good turbo. the vanes in the current 6.0s are weak. to much heat and pressure kills them. plus the electronics were just slapped in without enough testing. the reason for running of the turbo is cause of such low compression, in doing so it requires way more electronics and thus is the problem .

imo, have a diesel that isnt run off the turbo, just assisted by it. you run into way to many problems relying on the turbo. we had a turbo go out on a 6.0 at work, the thing wouldnt do over 30mph. just for kicks and giggles i disconnected the turbo on my 6.5 and it still moved. not very fast but blew alot of soot and did 65+mph. the engine shouldnt have to rely on the turbo.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by big power
imo, have a diesel that isnt run off the turbo, just assisted by it. you run into way to many problems relying on the turbo. we had a turbo go out on a 6.0 at work, the thing wouldnt do over 30mph. just for kicks and giggles i disconnected the turbo on my 6.5 and it still moved. not very fast but blew alot of soot and did 65+mph. the engine shouldnt have to rely on the turbo.
I couldn't agree more.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by big power
The problem is with new diesels and the computers that run them. Suddenly the turbo is removed or stops working, and the computer has no idea what to do. It can only compensate so much. Like I said before, these are engines where the turbo is key part of the engine. You can't just take that away and expect it to perform decently. Maybe with a computer re-tune and some internal modifications it will run decent without a turbo. Saying it relies on a turbo very much true, but is not a disadvantage at all. Any turbocharged engine relies on its turbo strongly.

If anything, the 6.0 threw itself into limp mode and didn't allow the driver to create anymore damage then necessary with a broken turbo.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:12 PM

Here in Houston, the owner of Honda of Houston motorcycles has a ferd powerjoke that he uses to pull his enclosed bike trailer. I must admit, the turbo really howls and does sound like a plane. However, nothing sounds more impressive to me than when the Cummins first starts up. (could easily be a Caterpillar D11R little cousin) While the powerjoke must crank for a couple of seconds to get going , the Cummins starts instantly . The ferd guy is still cranking away while the Cummins is already in gear and moving forward. Like the saying goes, the powerjoke could use a choke.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Timberman
Saw a 6.0-NO Excursion going through an intersection today, it had something done to the turbo to make it really loud. I mean obnoxiously loud and shrill, and he didn't have a load on it and wasn't accelerating very hard. I thought it made him look like an even bigger dork, you gotta at least be pulling something if you're gonna flaunt your turbo. Anyone know what that might have been? Some kinda add-a-whistle thing?

Was it a lifted white one, with a light bar ont the front that had like 5 KC lighst mounted on it and some KC lights on the roof?

Just asking since I seen one when I was down in NJ for vacation and every time it went by you could only here the turbo,when he got on it you thought it was a Peterbilt pulling 100,000lbs up a steep incline. It could be possible that you seen the same on since you live on the East side of MD and the guy was only there on the weekend and not the week I was there.

Jeff
Old 07-11-2006, 07:21 AM
Banned

take the turbo off your truck and see how great it pulls

Quick Reply: Loud PSD turbo whistle