General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Loud PSD turbo whistle

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just wish my turbo spooled up as fast...
Old 05-24-2006, 03:23 PM

Big gay neighbor! It might be the same guy. I was chaining down my bobcat in a neighborhood yesterday afternoon and the same dummy rode by in his Excursion. He revved it up a couple times and then floored it when he went by me, and leaned way over to the left and slouched like he was cool. Please. I'll pull that thing sideways. Sideways, while accelerating up the on ramp to the highway, no less.

Dork boy needs to learn to be subtle. I never rev it at people. I definitely turn heads when I take off from a stop sign or accelerate out of a sharp curve while towing. Some landscapers about broke their necks today, craning to see the dodgasaurus.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by gman07
I thought some of the sound was because they use a variable geometry turbo, not ball-bearing. Do the PSD's now come with BB turbos?

Almost, Ford tried to get a variable vane turbo to work well but it really didn't. Way to many moving parts.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:14 PM
Banned

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...ge_Cummins.htm We can get out trucks to sound like that, it's the ball bearing turbo..........

~Nick
Old 05-25-2006, 12:22 AM

my buddy knows 2 guys with 03 Ford 6.0's and both of them had their turbos blow up
Old 06-26-2006, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by RAMRODD
Are you kidding, I love that 6.0 turbo whistling all I can say is sweeeeeet. (That has to be the only reason to buy one) I wish I could get my o6 cummins turbo to sound like that!!
so basicly what im hearing is if you want turbo whine/ whistle you get a PSD.
if you want a performer/ worker get a Cummins??
Old 06-26-2006, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by TAS05CTD610
Actually the turbo BLOWS

^ Sorry I had to. I agree I heard one, also in a F 250, it's retarted how loud they are, its' like you hear a jet air liner going by and the things barely moving.....
lol that totally reminds me of seiin all these fart canned civics playin arround..
sounds like they are goin 200mph in 3rd gear!! but they are barley moovin down the street !! ricers are fun to make fun of
Old 06-26-2006, 10:04 PM
Banned

that whistleing is just what 6.0L do its just how the engine is made, i asked a guy on another site what it was and he said and i quote "thats pure 6.0L power" unquote, think it sounds like a jet plane check this out: 747 6.0L
Old 06-27-2006, 10:24 PM

i dont think i have heard an 03 whistle but i can say my dodge whistles quite loud now. just an intake, donaldson muffler and silencer ring taken out. I sometimes have my wife drive it so i can follow in the other vehicle just to hear what it sounds like form outside very lound and cool IMO
Old 06-27-2006, 11:21 PM

I had a 6.oh no roll up beside me at a stop light, his turbo was so freakin' loud that I could not hear my truck at all. It actually was obnoxious and annoying. Maybe Ford figured by putting a loud turbo on those trucks that it would make people think that its powerful?
Old 06-28-2006, 06:04 AM

I saw another excursion yesterday with an even louder turbo and some type of exhaust that made it sound almost like a gasser with a flowmaster or something. It was way too much, and it was a mom driving it. When it took off from the light, driving normal, all I could hear from 5 cars back was a whistle, I was looking around for a loaded dumptruck, finally figured out what it was and took a closer look. I love turbo whistles and diesel sounds, but they really went too far with that one, it made it clownish. Didn't sound powerful, just annoying. I won't be surprised when I see an excursion with stacks.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:18 PM

There is a magazine out called diesel world and they did an article on fords vgt turbo in the 6.0L, in short they said it's a good idea but they executed it in the wrong fashion.
I guess that's why Cummins waited till 07 to unveil their variable design, wanted to make sure it wouldn't give ownersproblems.
Honestly I would place the blame on ford for sure. I would imagine they pushed international so hard for a replacement for the 7.3 that they put that whole 6.0L, variable turbo, egr valve design into service before it was tested completely. International knows how to make a motor, look how many DT466s are out on the road.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:44 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Maybe things not really what they seem to be.
Jim

http://www.sunamiturbo.com/sunamiturbo.html

http://www.musclecarsounds.com/details.htm
Old 06-29-2006, 10:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JD Dearden
The wistle sound is there on the stock 6 leakers, but If you put an exshaust system on them it is very loud until it spools up higher and then it is a low drown sound. I know this because I own one with a 5" exshaust with a 6" tip. It is nothing special just a big exshaust and it does sound like 747 getting ready to take off.

I just saw an 05 or 06 here in ldo

Lifted, tall, on 38s or so with a huge lift, i was helpin a friend move and i heard just how loud that turbo was, he gunned it, no smoke, but the whistle was sweet, sounded like twins, I love the sound but it was a spoiled rich kid with mommy and daddys money, I was hooked to a trailer LOADING stuff on my cummins, tryin out my new bumper... he was just showing off on a truck that will sadly never work,

sweet lookin truck tho, and sweet sound, but i thought he just pulled the silencer ring (if present) or something, it did have a big exhaust tho 5 inch or six inch... in either case, sounded like the truck had nothing other than alot of eye candy mods and an exhaust.. it sure didnt smoke or move like it had a programmer in it...

Rick
Old 07-01-2006, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by RAMRODD
Are you kidding, I love that 6.0 turbo whistling all I can say is sweeeeeet. (That has to be the only reason to buy one) I wish I could get my o6 cummins turbo to sound like that!!
I think they sound cool as well...

Quick Reply: Loud PSD turbo whistle