General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Lets Discuss Banks Power / Banks Speed

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets Discuss Banks Power / Banks Speed

Why is the company hated?

Why is it embraced?

Do you believe the "clean tune" hype?

Do you believe in "smoky tune" hype?

Honestly, I like the company - too pricey for my tastes - but isn't he bringing something new to the table besides programming?

I'm not as educated on this subject like the rest of you so I'd like some ideas.

(is this thread allowed?)
Old 02-26-2008, 10:18 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Big Diesel + Gallons of Nitrous= clean tune.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:28 AM

He got his start in the diesel industry by buying products from other vendors, relabeling them and calling his better. Powerwise his stuff hasn't kept up with what everyone else is selling but he does sell safe power for the retiree crowd that are towing RV's and looking for a small boost. And he also use to claim that his stuff wouldn't void factory warranties but I think they may have changed that claim. I don't think there is anything wrong with his products but you won't see trucks winning pulls and dyno events with his stuff.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:50 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The main claim to fame is the complete package concept. That appeals to the entry market crowd. But its usually months after that they may find a better fit for their goals be it all out performance or less expensive mileage gains. They have as many satisfied customers as not or they wouldn't be in business.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:58 AM

before I knew anything when I first got my truck I thought he was great, heck it was my first diesel and Banks name was all over everywhere I looked about performance mods...but come to find out there's much better stuff out there for the money...BUT banks has a monster marketing budget...he's all over the mags and TV!

Called banks once...(1) VERY errogant (2) Overpriced (3) pushy sales strategy (4) could not really explain "why" their stuff was "the best"...

I'm glad I learned more and was patient before I bought anything...I learned a lot by asking questions, doing my own research and using forums like DTR...just my $.02
Old 02-26-2008, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Just throwing out a warning now, KEEP IT CIVIL.

No vendor bashing, no arguing, etc.

Keep it clean or this this thread will dissappear into the black hole.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:01 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Banks does make some very fine products, not all of them are geared toward the high HP market and they know their stuff is not for everyone.

Usually when you see people bash them, they are repeating something they heard from someone else or they are bothered that you can buy something cheaper that makes more HP. Or they are upset because they read or heard something Gale said that upset them.

Gale is an opinionated person, but are not we all at one time or another? Is that good cause to bash him on the forums? I don't believe it is.

If you look at their line of hard parts, their inter-cooler for example is a quality product and lots of guys run them. This can be said of a number of their product lines, so it is unfair to lump everything into one basket.

Their stuff works very well for the market they are after, and that is not necessarily a bad thing at all
Old 02-26-2008, 11:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The exhaust is about $200 over-priced but the Ram-Air intake looks to be really high quality and about the same cost as a AFE Stage 2 SI.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
I have refrained from discussing Banks, because lets face it, I am a Dodge newbie...... That being said, Gale was a leader in Turbocharging gasser for years and years. I had his stuff on my 86 6.2 and while not as fast as the Dodges, I could run high 15's in my 2WD 1/2 ton.

He is just a different drummer in a band, if his stuff does not enthuse you, then look elsewhere.

That is the beauty of this country, we can have many, many different drummers. I personally have graduated to a different drummer myself, but still cannot knock the music I heard......
Old 02-26-2008, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by surfram
The exhaust is about $200 over-priced but the Ram-Air intake looks to be really high quality and about the same cost as a AFE Stage 2 SI.
when i shopped for a ss exhaust, at a little over $400, the banks was just about the least expensive out there. the one's that were cheaper, were generally aluminized, or were not complete kits (no tip, universal length, etc.). i have two friends, who bought other brands for their ctd's at about the same time as me, and their install was more difficult (pipe needed trimming), and they have issues with 'clunking' noises, as their exhaust is making contact with something when they take bumps at speed.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:40 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
When my brother bought his first gen Ford diesel (naturally aspirated) waaayy back in '86, there were only 2 companies doing anything. ATS and Banks. My brother put the banks turbo kit on and loved it. So it is a very fair thing to say that Banks was at the ground floor of diesel performance and helped to lay the groundwork of where we are now.

That said, over the years he has done a lot of stuff and still does. The new intake manifold for instance comes to mind.

The electronics end of it, well it has a market. It is overpriced for what you get and can be a little misleading in the advertising, but for the folks who don't want all out power, like the defueling safeties built in and so on, it is a great product. Just as recently as 2003, Banks six-gun was among the highest HP products. It isn't today... but that is not the point.

The hardparts they sell most agree are quality products. The best? No... the cheapest? no... but they are competitive.

I think the Banks bashing is popular because they are on top, but maybe not the best. Americans love the underdog and like to topple the king of the hill. I think that has a lot to do with it. Many people I know could care less about the Patriots one way or the other before 2000, but this year a lot of people became Patriot haters!!
Old 02-26-2008, 02:44 PM

Being over at Comp. Diesel and seeing how the Banks guys (save for one, can't remember his user name) interacted with the rest of the members, I wouldn't consider buying their products. Generally argumentative and unfriendly.

I think the smoke free tuning is good, but they are awfully militant on it. They also like to say that the nitrous they use is to keep the EGT's down, not to clean up the smoke. Lets be real. If you're running in 10's or better, you're relying on nitrous for more than to keep the EGT's down. Honesty to the customer is very important, IMO.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:16 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
It's my opinion that ongoing mess over at CompD is more often than not, a select few who it seems have nothing else to do than regurgitate that said by someone else, and on, and on, and on. Most often to no usable end.

E-Thugs comes to mind. (Cause doing that mess in person'll get your butt whooped!)
Old 02-26-2008, 08:21 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by BC847
It's my opinion that ongoing mess over at CompD is more often than not, a select few who it seems have nothing else to do than regurgitate that said by someone else, and on, and on, and on. Most often to no usable end.

E-Thugs comes to mind. (Cause doing that mess in person'll get your butt whooped!)
Hey they have to go somewhere when they get banned from here

Eventually CompD will send them down the road as well as they don't appreciate having to deal with them anymore than we did.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
They make very good hard parts. They install easily and fit very good. No cutting or bending and foul language needed. I installed my exhaust 20,000 miles ago and have an issue with the rear weld on the muffler. No muss, no fuss, it's under warranty. Covered. The electronics are too expensive for my pocket book. Never tried them so I have no idea how they perform.

Quick Reply: Lets Discuss Banks Power / Banks Speed