General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Kubota Tractors

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 04:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kubota Tractors

Anybody on here have one?<br><br>I'm thinking of buying a small compact 4wd utility tractor this spring and have looked at the Deere's, the CaseIH's, and the NewHolland's, but haven't had a chance to check out the Kubota's yet. The machanic at the Deere dealership told me that the Bota's are the best small utility tractor you can buy. I was curious if anyone has had any experience with them. I'm looking at getting something in the 40hp range with a loader and MFWD. The tractor will be used mostly for gathering firewood, grading the drive, and doing a complete redo on the landscaping here at the house. 8) <br><br>So what do you guys think? Any comments would be appritiated. <br><br>Thanks<br>DB
Old 01-09-2003, 05:46 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Kubota Tractors

I have one brother in Pa and one in Vt that have the four wheel drive versions and they wouldn't have anything else. Very reliable. very little maintenance. Probably the best value for the buck.
Old 01-09-2003, 05:58 AM

Thanks Ricky,

I looked at the Deere 5205 but it's just a little big (frame wise) than I want. I'm trying to keep the tractor as small as possible but with a higher HP rating. Deere does have a new backhoe I'd like to have but it's just a little too expensive for my taste. :'(

Here is a link to it.

Little Backhoe

These little machines run about $32,000 but are way to cool. ;D I looked at the 4000 series Deere tractors but the machanic at the dealership didn't seem to speak very highly of them. [undecided]

DB
Old 01-09-2003, 06:25 AM

my dad says the kubota 4wd tractors are one of the best small tractors you can buy ...... (he's into that stuff, I'm not)

if you're looking for a little bush tractor for hauling wood and doing chores and stuff and are into vintage iron, look into a ford 2000

my dad has one with a 3cyl diesel (about 35 hp I believe), nice little unit, it's from the early 50's I believe
Old 01-09-2003, 06:48 AM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kubota is, without doubt, one of the best tractors out there. However, they seem a bit pricey in my area.<br>I ended up buying a SAME (saa-me). They are part of the SAME-Deutz-Fahr Group. They have been building large tractors since ~1927. They built the AGCO line for many years, but didn't have a compact version. Anyway, I looked at all the compacts. Went over from top to bottom. The Solaris (model) was the only compact that didn't have 500 lbs of levers, lines, and hoses hanging out underneath the tractor. Mine is 45 hp, 4 wheel drive, with loader. Gearbox is 3 ranges with 4 speeds in each range. The hydraulics are very good. It has dual remotes in the rear with optional front remotes, pto, and 3 point lift (snow plow). The tractor is equiped with a std 540/1000/ground speed rear pto and for another 100 bucks or so you can get a mid (belly mower) pto that operates at 2000 rpm. All the controls are right in front of you and with in easy reach. The tractor has hydraulic actuated locking front and rear differentials. With the wheels at the widest setting the tractor is just a hair over 5 ft wide. Weight is ~2600 lbs.<br>I've had mine for 2 years and 800+ hrs with the only problems being self inflicted. Depending on the hp range and application it can be had with a 1.5L Mitsubishi diesel, NA or turbo, 3 or 4 cly, or also a Deutz engine (not real sure as to the availability). Fuel usage is ~ 1.25 gph pullind a double bottom 16&quot; breaking plow cutting 8-12&quot; deep. 5-6 ft bush hog is a piece of cake. The loader bucket is a bit narrow (42&quot but will pick up more than you want.<br>I'm well pleased with it.<br>You can PM me and I'll get some info your way and also share some of the compact tractor experiences I've had.<br><br>shortround out
Old 01-09-2003, 06:52 AM

Cub Cadet also makes a tractor in that size range you may want to check into. Most of my experiences are with JDs and IHs, Most farmers only want to have to travel to one dealer when they need parts so they buy the same brand as the rest of the tractors unless the same dealer also happens to carry another option.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:51 AM

CH, ya want another 5210? I got one I can't stand
Old 01-09-2003, 08:30 AM

Mine has had repetitive cold starting problems, smokes so bad you can't be within 10 miles of it when you start it cause it'll smoke you out. My dealer says they have had this problem with all of those series of tractors and there is no fix for it &gt; I say it is BS cause we got rid of a 5400 when we got the 5210 and 4600 and the 5400(basically the same engine as the 5210) started without fail everytime and did not kill you with smoke. Who know's. I love the 4600 however. My next tractor will be a 50-60 horse New Holland 8)
Old 01-09-2003, 08:55 AM

I dont have much experience with the Kubota line, but if it where my money, I would by a New Holland Boomer series:<br><br>http://www.newholland.com/na/Product...NA&amp;RL=ENNA<br><br>Great Value, Excellent Turning Radius, and the Hydrostatic trans is the best you can get for loader and mower work. <br><br>
Old 01-09-2003, 09:54 AM

My 5400 was great, but this new one?

Quick Reply: Kubota Tractors