General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Kubota 905G 6KW gen with ~12Khrs How long DO they last??

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kubota 905G 6KW gen with ~12Khrs How long DO they last??

I have a question for those experienced dealing with Kubota 905 3cyl engines...
Should I be afraid of picking up a "presumably" well maintained Kubota 905G powered generator with almost 12,000Hrs?
It spends its entire life as the generator in a portable "light tower" trailer with 30' crank-up mast with 4 lights. (120/240vac, 6kva, 1800rpm. powering a~4KW Metal Halide lighting load)
I started it and it fired right up with no blue smoke, stumbling or such... Oil looked clean, engine clean, no leaks...
Unknown $$ amount... That is yet to be determined...

FYI:I mainly want a diesel genset for portable ham radio use and emergency house standby power (hurricanes etc).
I doubt if I'll put very many hours on it (hopefully!).

I'm impressed with Kubota's reputation, but good grief, ~12,000 hrs???

Keith
Old 05-03-2005, 07:56 PM

I have not had experance with the three cylinder Kubota engines, however I have worked with a five-cylinder ??? 45-bhp tractor a bit, and had no problems outside of a dead battery. Frankley, if it's run at a constant load (probably a light load as a gen-set), I shoud think it would have little real wear. If it was owned by a rental company, it should have been serviced often, see if they have records. Otherwise, get it for cheap, change the oil to synthetic, and don't worry about it. Good luck!
Old 05-04-2005, 11:03 AM

96, I don't believe this unit was a rental. I think it was an industrial concern with in-house mechanics. Records are not available.
Those little Kubota engines are pretty spectacular but there is a limit on longevity.
But I was told by a fellow that if it ever needed overhauling, to totally rebuild one, I'd be better off looking for a new engine as the price of the rebuild parts gets WAY up there...

I was just looking for someone that has experience with the 905G "Super 5" models as used on small light plants etc.

K.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:39 PM

if the price was good, i'd get one... and if need be, buy a gasket kit, new rings and lower end con/main/thrust bearings... they don't cost that much, and you could just hone the bores out [ball hone if no bad cylinder taper, or flat hone with more than 0.003" taper] and slap it back together... the parts to rebuid it shouldn't cost too much, but if it fired up right away and no blue smoke, rings are probably good. from being in genset application as the rpm is constent [not much lugging] and if there has been no internal water leaks, or fuel dilution, the bearings should be good.. that is similar to having 660,000 line haul miles on a truck engine... it should still have a good 6,000 hours avalable before i think any major/preventitive rebuild should be done...
Old 05-05-2005, 09:08 PM
Banned

generator

Originally posted by 96_12V
I have not had experance with the three cylinder Kubota engines, however I have worked with a five-cylinder ??? 45-bhp tractor a bit, and had no problems outside of a dead battery. Frankley, if it's run at a constant load (probably a light load as a gen-set), I shoud think it would have little real wear. If it was owned by a rental company, it should have been serviced often, see if they have records. Otherwise, get it for cheap, change the oil to synthetic, and don't worry about it. Good luck!
I bought a used diesel welder that has a 3 cylinder in it. It is a Denyo 280 that has a single phase power also. I bought it to power my home if I loose power or at least a ac so I can stay cool. I have a SA-200 so I have enough welder unless I find a good deal.
What I would like to buy is a vw diesel power generator, but the Denyo may be ok. it is insulated for sound also. I have a Kubato 4x4 diesel backhoe, loader that is a first rate. I will buy a 580? case next time but the Kubota is a good engine. good luck Jimk
Old 05-06-2005, 01:24 PM

Thanks guys, I haven't heard anything back from the dude yet.
I've already pretty much decided to get it provided he doesn't want an arm and a leg for it.
After all, 12,000hrs is quite a bit of use no matter whose product it is.

Keith