General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Just a funny thought, converting Cummins in to a gas engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 07:05 AM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Just a funny thought, converting Cummins in to a gas engine

I think I have seen everything, supercharged, twin turbo charged, combined, vegetable oil burning Cummins engine and such.

But I was just wondering, that when somebody is going to convert our Cummins our any other Diesel engine in to a regular pump gas burning gasoline engine?

I know both are bad ideas, turning gas engine in to a diesel is extremely bad because the weak internal parts etc.

But how about modern diesel engine in to a gas? I'm not thinking it would be very good running engine, but is there any impossible problems to get it running on gas?

Lowering compression somewhere near 10:1 or lower/change different type pistons, throw the injection pump away, modify throttle bodies/carburattor on the intake manifold, get a distributor/ direct ingnition/ aftermarket motor managment system availabe for gas engines and 'replace' the injectors with spark plugs.

I'm just wondering.

Obviously there's a lot differences between the Diesel engine and the gasoline one, but it would be certainly a thing to see if someone would do it. It would be a very low rpm engine anyway.

I'm no expert when on these kind of things, but I'm sure someone has done this to a diesel engine and I'd like to see a video of it.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Isn't that what VW does? Or did?
Old 07-15-2009, 09:36 AM
Chapter President

Cummins makes a 5.9 that runs on Natural Gas and uses Spark Plugs IIRC.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yep, they sure do. http://www.cumminswestport.com/products/bgasplus.php

MikeyB
Old 07-15-2009, 02:59 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Hah. That's funny.That's not what I had in mind but that's close!
But how about converting one in to a pump gas motor?

I'd like to hear one of those running. I found couple bus videos from youtube but buses don't have very good engine sounds...

What kind of power you can get from those with gas if you push it real hard...
Old 07-15-2009, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Erska
But I was just wondering, that when somebody is going to convert our Cummins our any other Diesel engine in to a regular pump gas burning gasoline engine?
The military has done it for years with their 'multi-fuel' engines. They run on gas, diesel, kerosene, jet fuel and basically any liquid that'll burn. Granted, they're probably not Cummins', but they're still a 'diesel'.

chaikwa.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Leave it to the drag racers and some custom parts. Remember the old Oldsmobile 350 diesel that was so gutless? It's the base for many a drag motor.

From another web site:

"GSXMEN
01-12-2004, 07:20 PM
The 'DX' Olds 350" diesel blocks can be bored and stroked up to 454"!!!

You can bore them just shy of .200" and stroke them with the 425" crank (with the counter weights turned down).

There are plenty of MAX effort Olds guys running these blocks!!"
Old 07-15-2009, 06:39 PM

Kubota has a gas engine in some of their zero turn mowers that are the same blocks, etc as diesel.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:07 PM

How about the pulling world? Arent the alky burners set up like a gas? I think they still run a inj. pump but I thought they had plugs? Might be wrong, but I do know they make some serious power on the stuff!
DS79
Old 07-16-2009, 10:05 PM

Back in the 90's, at the Twin Creek Tractor/Truck Pulls...

in Inwood, ON Canada, there was almost everything under the sun as far as Modified Tractors go. This was the best pulling track in Canada, so all the big-bucks pulling teams were there.

One of the crowd favourites was "Bad Medicine", a stock-looking silver AC or something similar. They modified a CAT V8 Diesel to run on Alcohol, but had custom welded alum. valve covers sticking out the sides of the tractor to hide what they had done. You could see the distributor & ignition system, injection pump, etc.

This was the 1st time we had seen anything like this. Man that tractor was impressive! Full Pulls everytime, no smoke, unique sound & they said that it was running less than 20lbs. boost, while the diesels were running (if I remember correctly) about 60 to 80lbs.

Alcohol converted diesels are common now at pulls.

John Good
Old 07-16-2009, 10:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup. Lotsa alcahol burnin diesel sled pullin tractors. Problem is no one builds aluminum heads for tractors so if ya wana convert it you have to buy a block of aluminum and start milling it into a head on your own.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:10 PM

I think that GM is workin on a compression ignition gas engine, Diesel eco with gasoline
Old 07-21-2009, 09:57 PM

Volkswagon just released one.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by timcasbolt
Isn't that what VW does? Or did?

VW went the other way when building their 1st diesel. They used the 1.6l gas engine and beefed it up to stand the diesel stress.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:44 AM

The DI gassers I've seen so far are injecting directly into the cylinders but during the intake stroke and still lighting off with a sparkplug.
The compression fired gassers will certainly be a "new dress on the same ol' gal" , (thanks Smokey) though, when they work out the details.

Quick Reply: Just a funny thought, converting Cummins in to a gas engine