General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

John Deere SKid loaders

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 11:02 PM
JAX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just ran a new JD skidsteere about a month ago. It had the switches (just like new Bobcats) so you could switch in between hand OR foot controls for your arm/bucket movements. It was not like the Cat where one joystick controlled the movement of the machine and the other controlled the implements. When you lock out the foot controls on the deere, moving the machine still uses the same technique, but you now also move the sticks left or right to control implements. As far as how it handled, I liked the deere WAY better than any bobcat I have ever run, and I have run my fair share. The power was much more evident in the deere, and not once did I bog the motor. It also wasn't a rattle trap that most bobcats quickly turn into. It had the hydraulic fastner arm option which is the best idea ever, and the visibility was about the same as a Bobcat. It was comparible to an 8 series bobcat and though you could feel more power, it felt heavier (more stable also) as well.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:47 PM
Banned

thanks. that is good to hear about being able to switch to a Case like control system. now im getting pumped for snow
Old 09-11-2006, 10:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Iron Mike
I believe that the John Deere skid steers are made by Cat. I don't think they make their own. So this might be good if you have already run the CAT.
Nope deere & new holland are the same animal only close cousin CAT has is ASV.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:15 AM

I don't think New Holland makes John Deere skidsteers. John Deere make their own.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:04 PM

Ive run a 1999 JD 260 skidder for 6 years and no real problems: bad hose, leaky, bad thermo gasket, flat tire, the usual stuff. It has 1400 hours on it and runs great. Good vis. Very stable, good lift cap. It is foot control operated. The only had control is to operate the attachments like augar or grapple arm on bucket. I know that JD offers both hand or foot and now offer (i believe) both just by fipping a switch. The cab is nice with slide up door, heat/AC. Lights front and rear. I've run bobcat(older) and Cat(new) the cats are great, but $$$$. Bobcats are good. I would buy another JD if I needed it.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:58 AM

John Deere skids are 100% John Deere the hand controls are like the case they will be comming out with pilot controls next year. John Deere is much better machine can list all the advantages.and all are turbocharged.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by sodbuster03
Nope deere & new holland are the same animal only close cousin CAT has is ASV.

Cat = ASV (go look at an ASV and see how many CAT logos you can find on it)

Been there seen that.

Actually, ASV's own brand is one of the nicer skid steers on the market right now. They are powered by Perkins and are quite powerful. The new controls are also really nice and the ones they are supposed to be coming out with here in the next year or so are even better.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:13 AM

Hey, I work for a Dirt Contaction Company, and noone really uses those skid loaders. Just spend the money and buy a usefull backhoe.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:45 PM
JAX

Originally Posted by CTDPower11
Hey, I work for a Dirt Contaction Company, and noone really uses those skid loaders. Just spend the money and buy a usefull backhoe.
Well, it really depends on what exactly you are doing with the machine. Sure, if you are into heavy earth moving, then a skid steer loader isn't going to work for you. If you are a general contractor, like me, on the other hand, then skid steers are much more valuable. Skid steers are a much more agile machine, are less expensive, easier to transport, and every impliment in the world is available to them. I've seen everything from concrete pumps to pile drivers attached to the front of these things. For the money, the skid steer is the best bang for the buck in my opinion, hands down.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is Absolutely NO relationship between J.D and New Holland Skid loaders.

New Hollands are also available with pilot controls........
Old 09-14-2006, 07:21 PM

I used to work at a John Deere dealership. Way, way way back JD and NH skidsteers were identical in design. They are still similiar but the JD has evolved into a better and more popular machine. Most are built with the NH style foot controls but are available with case style hand controls or can be converted. I have heard of the operator convertible controls from foot to hand but have not seen one yet. We have a JD 260 rubber-tire and a JD CT332 rubber-track at work and they are both awesome machines. No problems whatsoever out of either one. I prefer foot controls but thats because they are what I ran first and i am more experienced and proficient with them. Its all a matter of personal preference.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:16 AM
Banned

Maybe now there is no relationship between JD and NH, Not too familar with the newer machines, But just a few years back they were exactley the same down to using the same key. Now I have a T300 bobcat mine has no option for foot controls just switchable to case style controls on the joysticks. Had an asv rc100, liked it but no dealer support so got rid of it. I belive the deal between asv and cat is cat wanted asv's undercarriage so they made a deal to share other tech like control systems and engines as the cat skidsteers have perkins in them as well. look in my gallery for pcis of my t300
Old 09-18-2006, 09:14 AM

Kinda makes me giggle.............

Everyone talks about how similar the JD is to the NH yet insists that the JD is better???

Ok, no sweat...........

How is the JD better?
Old 09-18-2006, 05:39 PM
JAX

I have never operated the NH, so I can't compare the JD to it. I can, however, say that I think the new JDs are better than the Bobcats. Much better!
Old 09-20-2006, 02:48 PM

O.K,

What are the advantages of the JD over a Bob Cat???

I'm still giggling........

For years the J.D was manufactured by New Holland....... The exact same machine except with John Deere decals.

Now JD is building them on their own but are copying the New Holland design.

One thing J.D does have over other manufacturers is a supperior marketing plan....

If it says JD on the side then it must be better than the rest.

Quick Reply: John Deere SKid loaders