General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Jet fuel in a Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2002, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jet fuel in a Diesel

Has anyone ever used Jet fuel in a Diesel engine? I've been told it would work but nobody had any actual experience with it... The reason I bring this up is that a while ago there was a power outage in town and I needed fuel REALLY bad to get home and every single gas station was shut down. I figured I'd just pop in to the airport where there's gas engine powered pumps and use some jet fuel but I got second thoughts... I'm sure Jet B would melt your engine but Jet A is supposedly very simmilar to diesel from what I've been told. I'd really like to hear (read) your stories.
Old 11-18-2002, 08:19 PM

Re:Jet fuel in a Diesel

ive heard of people running diesel in there crop sprayers and vice versa with jet fuel in their tractors but i dont know about in a newer pickup it couldnt be any worse than running drip in your gasser
Old 11-18-2002, 08:34 PM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the Army side of the house, we have two fuels. One is unleaded gas and the other is JP-8. For gas turbines, JP-8 works fine, for diesels, there is about a 15% power loss PLUS the ability to nuke injector pumps even faster. Internally lubricated pumps do OK but fuel lubricated pumps tend to go south. Some of the engine manufacturers will void warranties if JP-8 is run in their engines. I think Cummins says If you have to use it, dump a gallon of engine lub oil in the tank for every 20 gallons of JP-8, you put in there, just to keep the injector pump lubed.<br>I'm not a mechanic, but I've seen a lot more vehicles coming into the shop for fuel related problems.<br>Am I going to question the wisdom of the powers that be in DA? Not at all. After all they gave us the beret to wear all the time. I didn't even like wearing it 30+ years ago. That was different tho, Zumwalt gave us ours.<br>
Old 11-18-2002, 09:02 PM

Jet-A is about the equivalent of kerosene......<br><br>Doug
Old 11-18-2002, 10:18 PM

I have seen alot of the military diesels go thru injection pumps and I have a strong feeling the poor grade of diesel fuel may be one of the leading cause of failure. I agree jet fuel is kerosene and should be avoided.
Old 11-19-2002, 07:05 AM

We would mix JP-4 and diesel in the trucks for a winter blend, you do lose power with this blend. We also have small jammers for loading bombs and they run all the time on JP-8.
Old 11-19-2002, 03:21 PM

[quote author=shortround link=board=8;threadid=7208;start=0#68963 date=1037673279]<br>For gas turbines, JP-8 works fine, for diesels, there is about a 15% power loss PLUS the ability to nuke injector pumps even faster. [/quote]<br><br>JP-8 is a lighter fuel (less dense) than JP-5. JP-5 is the same as Jet A. JP-5 is about 6.8 lb/gal and JP-8 is right about 6.5 lb/gal. (Of course these numbers fluctuate a lot with temperature, but we keep real close track of this stuff when you're taking on 9200 gallons at a time.) A denser fuel has a more controlled burn than a lighter one, hence the lighter JP-8 nuking injection pumps and all. I wouldn't personally go fill up with JP-8 until I'd hydro'd both of them to check density. If they're the same,...go for it.
Old 11-20-2002, 12:08 AM

In that case there won't be any jet fuel in my truck unless it's a major emergency. The idea seemed appealing though as it seems around here that the jet fuel is cheaper than diesel, or so I've been told...Thanks for all the info guys.