General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Jeep Grand Cherokee w/diesel

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeep Grand Cherokee w/diesel

Anyone have one of these?
My wifes lease is up in feb and Im pushing something, anything diesel.

Wanted to know how they are driveability wise, warm up, milage, the usual stuff.

Anyone with knowledge, let me know.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:32 PM

They drive pretty well, I test drove one before going with a Jetta TDI. MPG is not what I expected, only gets high 20s on hwy. I started it up in 70 degree weather so I cant comment on cold start up. But it doesnt have the noticeable start up like the CTD does. The interior is really nice, since you can only get them in the Limited and Overland. I just wasnt willing to pay the same for a smaller vehicle that gets the same mileage as my 3/4 ton truck. If you want a diesel, Id look at a VW TDI, the new ones are supposed to hit dealers in March.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:35 PM

I'd avoid it since its a Mercedes engine and Trans. It was originally designed for a car if I remember right.

The new Cummins V6 and V8 engines will be out in a few years and are rumored to be replacing the Mercedes drivetrain anyways.

For the excess price I would avoid it and go with a 4.7 or 5.7. The cost of diesel is high now anyways. No reason to waste the money in my opinion.

Have a good one.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Howy
I'd avoid it since its a Mercedes engine and Trans. It was originally designed for a car if I remember right.

The new Cummins V6 and V8 engines will be out in a few years and are rumored to be replacing the Mercedes drivetrain anyways.

For the excess price I would avoid it and go with a 4.7 or 5.7. The cost of diesel is high now anyways. No reason to waste the money in my opinion.

Have a good one.
Exactly what is wrong with a Mercedes engine and transmission? And the way most of these SUV's get used anyway, it might as well have parts from a car operating it.

As to the mileage, it's better than expected, for a veichle that is aerodynamically limited and very heavy for the actual amount of space provided. You were wise to purchase a VW TDi since mileage was a factor.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:11 PM

Diesel may be higher than regular but you'd still probably break even with better mileage, but who cares, its diesel!
Old 10-31-2007, 06:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
nothing wrong with mercedes diesels. a couple guys in my area drive early to mid 80's mercedes diesels cars- both of them have over 500,00 miles on them-and also use home made bio diesel in them!
Old 10-31-2007, 08:38 PM

Nothing necessarily wrong with the Mercedes drivetrain. From my experience, the transmission can be very temperamental if not kept perfectly clean from contaminants. They were never really meant to be in a 4x4, but since the new Grand is basically a fancy station wagon it probably will see little dirt anyways.

I've driven a couple with the diesel and they are very nice and have good power, but again, Id hold out and see for sure if the new Cummins engines will make their way into the Grands. Where I live, getting a hold of Mercedes parts is pretty much non-existent since we have no dealer within about 500 miles!

As always, just my opinion. Im sticking with my 14 year old Grand (still ticking!)

Have a good one.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:29 PM

[QUOTE=Howy;1768282] Where I live, getting a hold of Mercedes parts is pretty much non-existent since we have no dealer within about 500 miles!

[\QUOTE]

Now This is a good reason not to have a Mercedes driveline! I completely understand your concers now!!!

Have a good one!
Old 11-01-2007, 02:06 PM

as far as the manufacturer, if it runs i dont really care. we have the 4.7 now, and not only does it use a ton of fuel, its a dog.
Milage, not a huge issue, as a perk i get free fuel at work.

the cold start and if its poerfull enough to get out of its own way are my concerns. she wants the srt8, so if i show up with a slow diesel, im in trouble. and i know there is no comparison with the srt, just trying to find an economical middle ground.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:48 PM

Just bought my wife a Grand Cherrokee with the 4.7L and i'm not sure there is anything else you could put on it. Its got a bunch of crap we will never use. Anyway, we drove it to New Orleans early this week and got almost 19 mpg. Has really good power and drove very well.
I kinda looked at the diesels and wasnt impressed. Holds 10 qts of synthetic oil. maintenance costs can't be justified for the driving that she does.
She likes it and it got her out of MY truck!!
Old 11-01-2007, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Howy
Nothing necessarily wrong with the Mercedes drivetrain. From my experience, the transmission can be very temperamental if not kept perfectly clean from contaminants. They were never really meant to be in a 4x4, but since the new Grand is basically a fancy station wagon it probably will see little dirt anyways.

I've driven a couple with the diesel and they are very nice and have good power, but again, Id hold out and see for sure if the new Cummins engines will make their way into the Grands. Where I live, getting a hold of Mercedes parts is pretty much non-existent since we have no dealer within about 500 miles!

As always, just my opinion. Im sticking with my 14 year old Grand (still ticking!)

Have a good one.
Yes, but with the powertrain being in a jeep, your local jeep dealer will be able to obtain all the needed parts, and will be required by chrysler to keep a certain inventory of parts for it on hand, so this isn't the best excuse for not wanting the combo either. Personally i'd rather wait and see what happens in a couple of years with the new CTD's.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by smokeyram
the cold start and if its poerfull enough to get out of its own way are my concerns. she wants the srt8, so if i show up with a slow diesel, im in trouble. and i know there is no comparison with the srt, just trying to find an economical middle ground.
Smokeyram: I'm just south of you, Streator. Our local Dealer has 2 of them a Black loaded one and a Silver slightly less loaded one. From what I saw ( haven't dared to drive one myself yet ) they run like a Hemi.

If you want, I can hook you up with the Owner of the place and let you talk with him, trust me, I don't think you could find a better price if you like one.

PM me for his number if you want to drive one.