General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Its official, Lighty duty Dodge Diesel!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chevrolet has had a diesel in the 1500 long time ago, i had 1 1996 1500 6.2
Old 10-12-2006, 12:29 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jebadia
Actually since 1980 or earlier with the 5.7, then in 1982 with the 6.2 and the 6.5 in 1995?.... I have had too many 6.2's apart in my early years, not mine, just helping pull wrenches.

Try to get an IDI 6.2 meet current emissions . This should be interesting as I heard they were going to put a diesel in the minivans.. I would stand in line for that...
Old 10-12-2006, 12:40 PM

Hyundai in pool postion

GM have to hurry.

Today Hyundai unveiled a new Highperformance SUV , the VeraCruz with a V6 diesel performing 240 hp.
http://www.carspyshots.net/zerothread?id=21242

and
http://www.sintercast.com/data/conte...%20Release.pdf

Hyundai Motor Company, Korea’s leading automobile manufacturer and the world’s sixth largest
vehicle producer, today launched the all-new Veracruz Luxury Utility Vehicle (LUV). The Veracruz
debut also marks the introduction of a new state-of-the-art 3.0 litre V6 turbodiesel engine based on a
SinterCast-CGI cylinder block. Produced at the Hyundai foundry in Jeonju, Korea, using the SinterCast
process control technology, the V6 turbodiesel provides class-leading performance of 240 horsepower
(60 kW/litre) and satisfies Euro IV emission standards. Following the initial application in the Veracruz
LUV, the new SinterCast-CGI engine is destined to appear in other Hyundai vehicles in both the
domestic and export markets.

Dr. Steve Dawson, President & CEO of SinterCast said, “We congratulate Hyundai on today’s
launch of the new Veracruz LUV and the market introduction of the 3.0 litre V6 turbodiesel engine.
The new engine is the first result of SinterCast’s January 2005 long-term Technology Licence
Agreement with Hyundai and represents our first series production reference in the rapidly growing
Asian automotive market. With the planned application of the new engine in other Hyundai vehicles
and in the export market, this production activity provides the opportunity for mature volumes of
approximately 150,000 Engine Equivalents. Overall, the Hyundai Veracruz becomes the fifteenth
passenger vehicle available in the market with a SinterCast-CGI engine. We look forward to the
successful series production of the 3.0 litre V6 and to continuing our support of Hyundai as they
develop and introduce new CGI series production engines.”
Old 10-15-2006, 09:29 PM

Supposedly GM has a 4.4L (?) V8 diesel coming in 2010 for under 8600 GVW applications. It's supposed to have OHC and put out power numbers similar to the 2006 Duramax. If you really want some fat to chew on, it theoretically fits under the hood of a Camaro. I sincerely hope the General doesn't make a diesel muscle car. That takes all the thunder away from muscle trucks!
Old 10-15-2006, 10:12 PM

i will have one end of story!
Old 10-16-2006, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by jebadia
I had one, 1986 single cab short bed, I cant believe i sold it for chump change. one of the best darn vehicles i ever had. zero problems, i dont remember the gas mileage, but i do remember everyone in highschool thought i was an idiot for having a diesel truck that belonged on the farm
Old 10-16-2006, 07:33 AM

Yes, GM will have also a v8 diesel in their half ton pick ups for 09 or 10 reported in Light and Medium Duty Truck ( a free publication which I enjoy...). This is great news. Everyone needs a diesel. I am really excited to see this... Hopefully by 2010 they will have 07 emissions figured out. I am excited to see a diesel in the Durango, Dakota, 1500, etc.

I am surprised that the announcement from Cummins was for DC, as I thought they would end up using their Benz motors in these vehicles...

Hyundai, that is great and all but unless it comes here, it doesn't matter. In Europe, every vehicle is availabe with a diesel. So a new diesel on the Euro market is essentially meaningless to us.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:59 AM

US: The challenge of the 60kW/litre diesel
By John Mortimer
16 October, 2006
Source: Automotive World
The arrival next year in the US of the first much refined 60kW/litre diesel engine - Hyundai Motor's S-engine - raises new challenges for the likes of Cummins, Ford, and General Motors.

Ford's new 4.4-litre V8 diesel engine for the F150 series pickup..

"Whichever way the scenario is examined, Hyundai looks to have set the cat amongst the pigeons, and given North American engine makers an interesting challenge to overcome. Hyundai's choice of a CGI cylinder block for its new V6 suggests that all diesel engine makers of the future will have to go down this road too, including Cummins."
Old 10-16-2006, 12:04 PM

All the better... if it's got a diesel and it makes it to the US market I am happy - don't care who it comes from. Right now we have slim pickins..

For 07 its 3 pick up trucks, maybe a Grand Cherokee, a small/mid size luxury Benz and that is about it.

There is nothing to say I'll drive a Cummins 3/4-1 ton forever. I am at a point where I don't even really need a full size truck, but no way I'm going to trade in a 25 MPG paid off truck for a 15 MPG compact truck with a loan
Old 10-16-2006, 04:12 PM

Patrick, are you actually using that thing as a daily driver with the bed removed and all?
Old 10-16-2006, 04:18 PM

Yes I drive it around all the time. But it's basically useless Planning on doing something to make it more useful now that I am not going to be hauling cars at least for the time being. Flatbed or I don't know what... Looking forward to some useable cargo space and a nicer ride.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:32 PM

I'd put a flatbed on it. I've been setting up the new one's with bradford built's. They are sharp, check them out at www.bradfordbuilt.com . I saw your trailer on truckpaper, didn't realize you had it up for sale.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Shovelhead
WOW!
Now WE can have a "Light-Duty" diesel engine just like the Ford Power?Stroke & the Chevy Dura?Max.........
I was thinking the same thing. The powerjoke guys will finally have something to compete with.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:01 AM

Don't you know that Ford is just sick for abandoning that smaller diesel engine they had International working on a few years ago. As I understand, they actuall y broke their contract and had to pay International a bit, but I'm sure International didn't push it too hard since they wanted to keep putting engines into the Super Duties. Did Ford really think 85 cent diesel was here to stay in 2002?

Tad
Old 10-29-2006, 01:01 PM

Durango

Can't wait for the diesel Durango for the family. Too bad D/C isn't going to have it available sooner, don't think the current van will make it till 2010...

Quick Reply: Its official, Lighty duty Dodge Diesel!