General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

International's New I-6

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
International's New I-6

International Unveils New Truck Engine
Six-Cylinder engine showcases increased horsepower

International Truck and Engine Corp. has introduced a new family of in-line six-cylinder engines for 2004 International 4000 and 7000 series and 8500 trucks.

The new engines promise improved performance, durability and advanced diesel technology.

Features include:

An EVRT® turbocharger, which allows better breathing with the use of adjustable vanes within the turbo.

Cooled EGR, which reduces EPA-regulated NOx emissions.

The International electro-hydraulic generation 2 (G2) fuel system offers more precise timing control for optimized fuel delivery. The G2 injectors are designed to be much smaller than previous injectors, allowing enough room to accommodate four valves per cylinder. The 24-valve design allows a more complex mix of fuel and air, giving the engine the capability to run with more power and better combustion, according to International.

A single piece, high-pressure oil rail, which virtually eliminates the potential for leaks and increases serviceability.

A new, longer-lasting cast iron high-pressure oil pump provides variable displacement and oil flow in response to engine speed and load.

The engines also feature a corrosion resistant, powder-coated, dual drain oil pan that protects against road salt.

Redesign of the seal carrier area and fly wheel housing, to virtually eliminate rear crank seal leaks.

New pad-mounted accessories are easier to remove and service than the previous bracket-mount arrangement.

New International Diamond Logic™ engine brake offers enhanced braking power. The low, medium and high valve positions operate on all six cylinders, for even cylinder wear.

International's new DT 466, DT 570 and HT 570

Engine Type: Diesel 4-cycle
Configuration: In-line 6-cylinder
Displacement: 466 cubic inches (7.6 liters) and 570 cubic inches (9.3 liters)
Bore and Stroke: 5.49 inches by 4.86 inches
Compression Ratio: 16.1:1
Aspiration: EVRT® Electronically Controlled Turbocharger, Air-to-Air Intercooled
Horsepower Range: 210-340 hp
Torque Range: 520-1,150 pounds-feet

You can read/see it HERE

Rich
Old 01-30-2004, 05:01 PM
cp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"The 24-valve design allows a more complex mix of fuel and air, giving the engine the capability to run with more power and better combustion, according to International."

And all the while I thought a less complex, i.e., as uniform as possible fuel/air mix was what we were striving for.
Old 01-30-2004, 05:09 PM

I agree, there has to be a point were complexity itself becomes a problem.....

When is enough.... enough.

Look at the poor guys with the Ford 6.000's . Makes you wonder when to draw the line in the sand and say that's it, no mas.

I think I'll stay with my 03 for awhile, thats my stand.

Ron W.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:13 PM

This engine is an upgrade of the absolutely finest engine series that I-H ever built and I would rate it nearly as high as the b-series.if ford did put it in a truck it would be an awesome competitor to dodge but if they were going to do that I would have thought it would have been done before this as that particular engine has been around for quite some time.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did I mis-read the article or are they offering 2 versions. One a 7.6ltr and a 9.3ltr?
Old 01-30-2004, 09:24 PM
cp

The DT466 is a great engine, but I think it's too heavy for a pickup.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:27 PM

I thought the G2 electro-hydraulic injection setup is the same as what the 6.0 runs. And I thought it was issues with that system that caused them to turn pilot injection off. If they can't do pilot, they probably can't do post-injection either, right? Both of which helped Cummins drop noise and emissions levels.
Old 02-01-2004, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by cp: "And all the while I thought a less complex, i.e., as uniform as possible fuel/air mix was what we were striving for."

I'll guess that you're both saying the same thing, as complex mixing is need for a uniform fuel/air mix. As I recall my 1983 Suzuki GS1100 had 4 valves per cylinder and 'twin swirl combustion chambers' for better mixing, in order to keep the compression ratio as high as possible with the typically lower octane unleaded fuel. It seemed to work well as 120mph in the 1/4 mile with a $3500 vehicle off of the showroom floor was impressive.
Old 02-01-2004, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally posted by stevenknapp
I thought the G2 electro-hydraulic injection setup is the same as what the 6.0 runs. And I thought it was issues with that system that caused them to turn pilot injection off. If they can't do pilot, they probably can't do post-injection either, right? Both of which helped Cummins drop noise and emissions levels.
The 6.0 came with C94 injectors. Those injectors were the problem child in that motor. Seems they would fail, wash the cylinders, fill up the oil pan full of diesel. If not caught in time would wreck turbocharger bearings and in extreme cases hydro-lock the engine. Ford's answer to that was to disable pilot injection and replace faulty C94 injectors with good C95 injectors. Here another catch though. Ford won't replace C94 injectors unless they are broken. Example say you have 8 C94 injectors. 2 are bad and need replaced. Ford will replace the 2 bad C94's with 2 good C95's. Leaving 6 C94's in with the potential for future problems.

Other problems with the 6.0 Powerstroke are :

Bad turbochargers
WIF sensor
Bad computer programming in the PCM and ECU
And some drive abilty issues

This has left some Powerstroke owners very unhappy with Ford.

I always thought an I6 was less complex becasue it is internally balanced, gear driven camshaft, larger internals, and more main bearings to support the crank.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:11 PM

But even a new '04 with the C95s all around still has pilot injection turned off, right?
Old 02-01-2004, 09:40 PM
Banned

I thought the real problem was the use of ford's own software to run and manage the engine???? They didn't want to use the Navastar control program? Didn't the engine run well and pass over one million simulated miles with the Navastar programs??? I didn't think the problem lyes in the injectors, variable geometry turbo's or engine design. I think Ford screwed them selves, cut navastar off on the 6 cylinder diesel research, and went with there own software. Then when things hit the fan, Navastar wasn't there to bail them out, Ford got killed.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally posted by stevenknapp
But even a new '04 with the C95s all around still has pilot injection turned off, right?
That is correct, for now any way. When International and Ford have all the problems worked out of the 6.0 I foresee pilot injection coming back.

I don't know anything about Ford refusing International's engine programming be the 6.0's downfall. I believed it was due to the fact that Ford pushed to have the 6.0 out for the 2003 model year debut than wait longer. Not enough research and development, and the 6.0 was rushed into production (i believe)

Why Ford chose a V-8 diesel over a I-6 diesel is beyond me.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:19 AM
Banned

Gale Banks was on the speed channel this weekend, and he was showing off his new project,"Sidewinder". It is a Dakota truck with a Cummins diesel in it. Any how this thing set the new speed record at the salt flats at 223 mph, and it outs out 750+ hp and has 1300ft-lb torque. He showed his truck could drive it's self to the track while towing a trailer, un hitch set the record at 223 mph and hook up and tow the trailer home. His trucks are very street able,quiet,and powerful. He seemed very up beat and was telling about the many changes that will be coming in the not to distant future. Also the amazing thing is his engine that set that record and was so easy to drive on the street, had a stock bottom end only mods were made from the block up.
They already have variable turbos,staged injection,and variable valve timing working and producing good power.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:58 AM

Hmm...ok. I thought Siemens did the work for Ford? It's somewhat shocking how deep the supplier chains go. Both for the hardware, the software, and the calibrations.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:08 PM

If siemens did it than that does explain some of the problems. Awile back seimens went through some restructuring and things went down the crapper not long after that.

We used a few of there VVVF)Variable Voltage Variable Frequency) drive units for electric motors and had nothing but problems with the software which was windows based big time. Even flew a guy over from Germany becuase he said what we had described could NEVER happen.... I love to see ppl back pedal " wow would you look at that, i better check the program again" hehe

Think about it for a moment, we all know how well our computers work sometimes running on windows.

I like the KISS theory, Keep it simple stupid!!

Jason

Quick Reply: International's New I-6