General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

international scout diesel

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
international scout diesel

Anyone had one of these? I have a chance to buy one real cheap, thinking about another trail riding vehicle. It's a 79 diesel 4 speed, typical rust on fenders and door sills. The rust doesn't matter to me, most trail vehicles are junk when I get threw with them. How hard is it to turn the pumps up on these.
I saw the turbo was wastegated and it had some sort of egr on it so it probably can have more boost put to it. It just barely smokes when you power brake it. Any info is appreciated.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't know there was a diesel Scout. All I've seen is the old ones with 4's and a few later ones with 304s or 345s. I don't know if they put the 392 in them. Craig
Old 09-06-2008, 10:17 PM

They put Nissan diesels in them. Other then that I don't know much more about them. I think they are like a 2.4 liter or something like that. Put some gauges on it plug the wastegate and see how long the head gasket holds...lol
Old 09-06-2008, 10:21 PM

Thats crazy. I'd love to have one of those! My Uncle had a Scout II that I always though it would be awesome to put a 4bt in. I've seen one with a 6bt in it. I can't remember who's Scout it was though.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:42 PM

IIRC those things had some weak head gaskets, but I could be mistaken. Every one of them i've seen for sale in the last year or 2 has needed a head gasket. But they are pretty cool and would be a fun project, if it gives up the ghost a 4bt would fit very well in it's place.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:20 AM

I've found some info, 3.3 liter and 105 horse. They are high compression around 22 to 1 so boost has to be limited. They do have head gasket problems but this one is running fine. It has around 70,000 miles on it with the typical rust on the bottom but all I'm wanting is a trail riding vehicle to tear up. I know I can get it for 500 or a little less I'll try it. Heck it will part out for more than that.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:16 AM

I own a 1980 model with the Nissan SD33T (turbo). I have had it 8 years. I have owned IH Scout IIs for the last 16 years. The Diesel Scout is absolutely awesome off road compared to other Scouts. The diesel fuel injection capabilities while off roading with my Scout club friends makes me smile. No more flooded carbs.

On the street, the Diesel Scout is a GUTLESS PIG which cannot get out of it's own way. The performance of this engine is on par with the 4 cylinder gassers. Fuel economy is about 20-22 MPG mixed city/highway.

There is not much that can be done to hop up the little engine. The pistons are prone to cracking around 200K miles.

I bought my CTD to pull a toyhauler, but the CUMMINS powered truck quickly became my daily driver over the Scout.

My Scout is awaiting a 4BT transplant in the future as so many IH Scout dieselers are now running. There is one guy in our club that runs a 4BT and said it was the best thing he ever did to his Scout. Mileage for him is up around 28 MPG and he has double the power to boot.

If you want to learn everything there is to know about Diesel Scouts, check out this site:

http://www.binderbulletin.org/forums...isplay.php?f=5
Old 09-07-2008, 01:42 PM

Nice web site. Thanks. I have always loved the Scout II's. Maybe one day I'll have my own to put a 4bt in. I could have sworn a while back I saw a Scout II with a 6bt in it on the forums. I may be mistaken though
Old 09-07-2008, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Big Smoky
Nice web site. Thanks. I have always loved the Scout II's. Maybe one day I'll have my own to put a 4bt in. I could have sworn a while back I saw a Scout II with a 6bt in it on the forums. I may be mistaken though
Treven Baker did put a 6bt in his Scout II. He did a write up on it on the Binder Bulletin and TDR.

http://www.binderbulletin.org/forums...ead.php?t=2789
Old 09-07-2008, 05:03 PM

There are several scouts on youtube with 4bts in them. Just do a search for 4bt. Theres also a cool model T or A truck with a 4bt on there.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:26 PM

Went and got it today, I believe the 69000 on it is original miles. It really don't run to bad down the road, nothing like a cummins but mantains 60 pretty decent. I think a little bigger open exhaust and maybe open the air filter up somehow and do away with egr are starter points. I don't think a motor swap is in the future but you never know!
Old 09-09-2008, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by gwhammy
Went and got it today, I believe the 69000 on it is original miles. It really don't run to bad down the road, nothing like a cummins but mantains 60 pretty decent. I think a little bigger open exhaust and maybe open the air filter up somehow and do away with egr are starter points. I don't think a motor swap is in the future but you never know!
I need more into about your engine. The '76-'79 engines were painted yellow and had no turbo. The 1980 engines were painted blue and it had a different exhaust manifold with a turbo. There were also aftermarket kits to turbocharge the N/A engines.

EDIT: Because you mentioned the EGR, it sounds like someone swapped in a blue 1980 SD33T engine in your Scout.

The single biggest performance increase to be had is to remove the horribly restrictive exhaust elbow on the back of the turbo. That part has two 90° bends and it restricts the exhaust from 2.5" at the turbo outlet to 2" at the downpipe.

Check this thread for more info
Attached Thumbnails international scout diesel-3inchelbowandpipe.jpg   international scout diesel-ee1.jpg  
Old 09-09-2008, 07:41 PM

It's blue, I just went out to look. Thanks for the info on the exhaust, I've read to use a exhaust housing off of a mercedes for quicker spool. My nephew just happens to have a couple so I might try that when time permits. Surely plugging off the egr would help some and well as a remote air filter that will breath. I'm not looking for a power house just something to go trail riding this winter when time permits. These motors sound slow on timing, I used to bump the timing on the 7.3 fords and it helped them alot.
Looking at the picture of your motor it looks like the breather tube hangs below the turbo. I climbed a steep hill with it and it had some oil leak after I got on the flat. I thought it was the turbo but now guessing some oil got to the tube.
Thanks for any info you can give me.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:14 AM

I was told of aguy around here that swapped his inline gas motor for a diesel out of a 656 IH tractor. He was getting in the 40mpg range and it had decent power. Saidit was direct bolt up and those motors are easy to find and get parts for. Before I went with a 4bt I would look into that just for the inital cost of the motors. I know a stock N/A 656 will make about 75HP before it runs out of air. So add a turbo and you should get around 100HP. Dad won't let me do it to our 656 but once I do it to the 756 we are getting I am sure a HIC will find its way onto the 656!
DS79
Old 09-12-2008, 10:28 AM

As neat as those were I'd be on that like a duck on a june bug, you might have to use marine parts since I think they were a boat motor a lot longer than a scout motor & they are slow but its still a scout which IMO was the best of the early SUV's.

Quick Reply: international scout diesel