General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Interesting Bosch presentation on Diesel fuel lubrication

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The percentage of diesels sold in Europe is not an exaggeration and I think it's quite a bit higher than that now. I've written to my representatives more than once on matters relating to this and have included that figure as one of the points in my letters suggesting that we should be concentrating on biodiesel in this country.

Tad
Old 01-17-2005, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been using Power Service for some time now, but what is in it?
I have long suspected from the smell that it was some kind of treated veggie oil with a kerosene solvent.
I have used Stanadyne but I can't get it locally without getting raped (Local vendor is too proud of it! ). It smells good too and is obviously thicker than PS, with less kerosene solvent...
(Come on, admit it! You guys like the smell of that stuff too!)
In the additive report, I saw listed a dozen or so different vegetable based anti-wear additives that can be used to restore lubricity.

My question to the Fuel Lubrication Guru's is: Which brands uses what ingredients?

C.O.D. seemed to perform the absolute best in the side-by-side wear tests, so what do the leading makers of fuel lubricity additives use?
I couldn't tell you what Canola Oil Derivitive smells like unless that is what is in Stanadyne, Power Service, etc.

Just a Curious CTD NuT

Keith
Old 01-17-2005, 05:28 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by SoTexRattler
My question to the Fuel Lubrication Guru's is: Which brands uses what ingredients?
Hard to find this out, most all brands get by just calling the ingredients aromatic hydrocarbons in a mixture regarded as a trade secret. Most are 85-99% Stoddard (dry cleaning) solvent as a carrier. This is for good reason as remaining small percentage of active ingredients are very dangerous to handle in their pure state by the general public. I've seen lists of the chemicals used, most of the names are a foot long.
Friend of mine who drives a fuel tanker says a guy in a hazmat suit adds less than one gallon of the almost pure stuff to a 10,000 tank for anti gel at the terminal. Most additives do their job with less than a 10ppm concentration of the active ingredients.