General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

instant injector cleaner???

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up instant injector cleaner???

Picked up a can of sea-foam and read that you can fill up the fuel filter with this stuff to instantly clean your injectors. Anyone ever try this?

Also, I want to put some in my crankcase, but not the whole pint. Maybe a 4oz/quarter can to help clean it up until the next oil change. Any thoughts on this? Maybe the whole can? I dunno.

It also says it treats the fuel. Never used it before but I've heard people talk about it. Just wondering if it lives up to all it says.

Thanks.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:25 PM

I would leave it alone, if your truck has high miles you could loosen up some stuff you don't want too in the crank case. If the truck is running smooth and you have changed out the fuel filter and are not having any rough idle or driving problems the injectors are most likley clean. If you want to do your truck a great service change out all of the other fluids including the most over looked Brake fluid. You also have a pre filter that is overlooked also. The kit to service it is best bought from Cummins as well as most parts, they are kinder on you wallet. Goodluck,,Rick
Old 03-14-2005, 06:30 PM

A couple of more things that need attention with higher mileage cummins, is the fuel lines will start to rot at aroung 100k and cause starting problems and sucking air in and the starter contacts need a looking over as they will get thin and hang up causing some money problems when they do. Do a search here using the search about maintnance and you will find gobs of info. Goodluck,,,Rick
Old 03-14-2005, 07:01 PM

Thanks
Old 03-15-2005, 08:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My expirience is any product that works "instantly" to clean injectors usually does it with excessive heat (usually alcohol) to burn tips clean. Is usually accompanied be a warning...NOT to be used with every tank full. It's the eqivolant of major surgery!
There are other, better ways to do this....slow carbon softeners that clean things up over 5,000-10,000 miles.

RJ
Old 03-15-2005, 07:30 PM

I figured filling up the fuel filter with this stuff was pretty extreme. Since I'm already using an additive (with cetane or something other) for diesels every other fill up, I hope that eventually and passively cleans the fuel system. I don't care for dramatic approaches. I've had bad experiences in the past with gas engines.

Anyway, I wonder if a quarter can of this stuff in the crankcase would be ok, as it might not as agressively loosen to much stuff and clog the filter, etc. A little at a time approach, while giving the oil a chance to do its stuff.

Don't really know. Just throwing it out there, as I'm staring at a can of this stuff just sitting there.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:39 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I will admit to using fuel additives as you never know what you're pumping out of a station's underground tanks.
But on the subject of Oil additives, I don't use them in my vehicles.
I use a quality oil that's formulated by the manufacturer and packaged so it's consistant gallon to gallon.
I don't feel there's a need for them.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:55 AM

Heard good things about seaform in gassers, not a clue about diesels and that stuff.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:32 AM

When I opened up my CTD's timing gear case to tab my KDP, I was simply astounded at just how clean the innards were on my truck's engine... No varnish, no black deposits anywhere...
This truck had 150k miles on it at the time. Right then and there, I knew that no "cleaner" could do as good a job as simply running good high quality oil and Fleetguard filters in it.

IMHO:
Resist the temptation! The crankcase likely doesn't need "cleaning" with anything other than good quality oil and filtration.

Keith