General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

injector cleaner???

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
injector cleaner???

Just wondering if there is any difference in a gas or diesel injector cleaner. I went to an automotive store and could not find any injector cleaner that specified that it was for diesel fuel. If the product is a detergent based cleaner would it make a difference if it is for gas or for diesel?
Old 04-01-2004, 10:27 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
YES!

THe additives in the Regular fuel injector cleaner are nowhere near what is required for a diesel engine.

If you need cleaner try a local truck stop, fuel filling station etc and look for products by FPPF, Lucas, Howes or STanadyne.

By all means stick to diesel products..

J-eh
Old 04-01-2004, 02:35 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Most additives for gas engines contain alcohol. Very bad for the injection pump especially on a 24 valve due to the drying properties of alcohol.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:49 PM
Chapter President

i fill tank and dump in 1 qt. tranny fluid cleans injectors right up
Old 04-01-2004, 03:24 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by smokin habit
That might work for the 12 valve guys, but for the 24 valve guys
"Don't try this at home"

The tolerances in the VP pump are very tight and don't like all the "friction modifier" additives in ATF.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by smokin habit
Not only that tranny fluid is designed not to burn and will leave damaging ash deposits in your engine. It's use is a left over from the old days when ATF was just oil and modern diesel additives weren't widely available.
It's basically a practice whose time is long gone.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:23 PM

Has any one used the Valvoline Syn Power injector cleaner, I heard that it was the only one that Cummins recommends. I'm only going by hear say so not for sure how true it is.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:57 AM

How about Power Service? I have been looking for some up here and so far no luck. Maybe they do not sell it in Canada.

Any Albertan's found Power Service here?
Old 04-03-2004, 09:13 PM

fuel additives

well gentlemen here is the scoop direct from the techline at Cummins Northwest.

He told me that they really dont't have any recommended fuel additives but that it might be a good idea occasionally and if you use it all the time it is okay as long as this word appears in the description of what the stuff does ...It needs to say either adds in lubricity or lubrocity.

just talked to them on friday april 2 just thought yah all might like to know
Old 04-04-2004, 06:19 AM

your local (or not so local) canadian tire should carry lucas oils .........mine does

as for power service, my local indepentend auto parts store carry's that so it is available in canada
Old 04-04-2004, 07:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Sea Foam is designed for diesels and seems to work fine. I use a can every 5-10 and after 136K no problems at all.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:01 AM

Not trying to flame here, but:

With the additive packages that are already incorporated into modern fuels, I feel that any additives that do not have to do with lubricity or anti-gel are unneccessary. Where I get my fuel, they have already added detergents and an additive package so I feel that extra cleaning is not needed.

Again, if you are adding a lubricating agent or are looking for a little extra anti-gel protection in the cold climates, I can understand that.

Example for gas engine:

Today's fuel contains 5-10% alcohol, but people still want to dump in a 6 oz. bottle of "Heat" in the winter to keep their fuel lines from freezing. Seems silly to me.

I'm all for "an ounce of prevention" or "it can't hurt". But injector cleaners seem unneccessary to me.

Just my $0.02 worth.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:23 AM

i use stuff at the gas station where I fill up, it is made by "berekible"...it is for diesel engines...sez it lubricates injectors and injection pump as well as anti-gelling...i use half a bottle w/ every fill up (bottle sez treats 500 gallons) I am a worry-wart and LOVE my fueling box, just insurance i guess, makes me feel better.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:27 AM

I agree 100% with amartinson and like the way Chevron addresses it on their diesel fuel website---

Aftermarket Additives It would be convenient for the user if a finished diesel fuel could satisfy all his or her requirements without the use of supplemental additives. Although this is often the case, some users must use additives because the low temperature conditions in their region are more severe than those for which the fuel was designed, or because of other special circumstances. Other users feel that they need a higher quality diesel than regular diesel.

A large number of aftermarket additive products are available to meet these real or perceived needs. Some are aggressively marketed with testimonials and bold performance claims that seem "too good to be true." So, as with any purchase, it is wise to remember the advice, caveat emptor – let the buyer beware.

It may be helpful to regard additives as medicine for fuel. Like medicine, they should be prescribed by an expert who has made an effort to diagnose the problem. And they should be used in accordance with the recommendations of the engine manufacturer and the instructions of the additive supplier. Sometimes indiscriminant use of additives can do more harm than good because of unexpected interactions.

From http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/fuel...el/L2_7_fs.htm
Old 04-04-2004, 09:08 PM

No concrete data from this yet need to run a few more tanks through to verify, I ran most of the winter with straight OTR fuel (garunteed to -20F) all from the same truck stop... mpg's were dead on at 17.2 (+/- .2) all winter, towards the end of the winter i started adding 1/2 bottle of PS to every other tankfull, after first tankfull with PS, next tankfull yielded 18.6. Used the silver bottle one, labeled to raise the cetane +3 for 16oz in 50 gallons, or +6 for for 32oz for 50 gals. So far, I'd say it helped a bit though the first 6 tankfulls, maybe it just cleaned the injectors a bit. We'll see what shows up from this spring, hopefully they've switched to reg #2 by my next fillup.

Quick Reply: injector cleaner???