General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Info on new Furd Diesel..the Navistar Divorce looks to be final

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glocklove
It's all talk until the final product is on the lot, and like they said in another thred "the only thing that runs good on a power stroke, is the owners mouth"....
now thats funny!!!
Old 08-01-2008, 03:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 03qclb5spd
Interesting. My 03 5 speed I had dyno'd 525 horsepower and I was constantly over 22-23mpg. Sure, not stock power but it kind of busts the myth a little bit on high hp meaning low mpg's.
You don't have no stinking emissions.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Interesting. My 03 5 speed I had dyno'd 525 horsepower and I was constantly over 22-23mpg. Sure, not stock power but it kind of busts the myth a little bit on high hp meaning low mpg's.

Let's see you do that while meeting Tier 3!

I'm sure your NOx-g/hp/hr is easily 10X what the EPA will allow for newer diesels.

jh
Old 08-01-2008, 05:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the high horse ppower = poor mpg rule stands strong for these new trucks. Sure pre08 trucks with no emissions can get turned up and achieve mpg improvements. But you have to consider the way the factory is achieving these power levels. They are concerned with NVH which means they will increase fueling to make power instead of using a timing advance which is what will increase and mpg but also the diesel rattle. Then of course there's the DPF, and the more fuel you burn the more soot will be generated which will increase the frequency of mpg reducing regens. To help reduce the soot as much as possible before the DPF they run very high boost levels for the power they make with compound setups that are also not helping efficiency. The rules change with the times. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by SOhappy
You don't have no stinking emissions.
beside the point.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:27 PM

beside the point.
Very much of the point. Your 500+hp generates smoke, which would have to be burned off in the DPF. You also have 3 injection events. Newer ones are around 7 (pretty sure the Piezo injectors in the 6.4 are capable of 7), which is more fuel burned just to reduce noise and vibrations as previously said. Engines like the 12v and 24v only have 1, so the fuel is burned for making power, not quelling noise.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:45 PM

Link looks bogus, the truck looks like a 6.4, tail pipe anyway. and scorpion? What kind of name is that? Sounds like a story. Time will tell, til' then
Old 08-01-2008, 06:49 PM

Ha, you have got to be kidding, he is making this up as he is typing?

"It's not yet known if the Scorpion will continue to use the Power Stroke name or if Ford will create a brand new label for the engine. Whatever it's called, Ford's competitors are sure to feel the Scorpion's sting!"

Where did scorpion come from?
Old 08-01-2008, 06:58 PM

All engine platforms, and most new vehicle paltforms as well, have a "codename" while in develoment. While I agree that the link shows what looks to be a stock F-350, who knows what is under that dashboard (was that hood at one time...?) powering that truck.

As far as emissions are concerend, it's to a manufacturer's advantage to "up" the HP as it's going to have to burn hotter to burn cleaner. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the '07 & '10 regs are about emissions, not fuel economy. For always has to brag about 3 mpg more, for one like me - I want data showing it's going to happen.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tate
Very much of the point. Your 500+hp generates smoke, which would have to be burned off in the DPF. You also have 3 injection events. Newer ones are around 7 (pretty sure the Piezo injectors in the 6.4 are capable of 7), which is more fuel burned just to reduce noise and vibrations as previously said. Engines like the 12v and 24v only have 1, so the fuel is burned for making power, not quelling noise.
Look....
My 03 SO had 2 injection events, pretty sure that's how all the SO motors were unless there is misinformation floating around forums.
And I'll clarify this again to make it clear, my statement was that high HP doesn't always mean that good mileage can't be obtained. I'm not getting into ridiculous comparisons about old vs. new, 48,000 injection events vs. 1 or 2, 3...DPF's vs nothign...etc....I'm not the only one that said something similar about having good hp and good mileage. From what I hear a lot of guys with LMM Duramaxes get 20+ pretty often, which is comparable to past engines. That's it...
Old 08-01-2008, 10:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RAMRODD
The 30% of truck buyers that use their truck for towing would rather have 400 hp over 325. I am sure the 1/2 ton diesel's coming out will be better suited for the other 70% of truck buyers.

It's good to see the power wor between Ford, Chevy and Dodge starting up again!!
Originally Posted by Tate
Last time that happened, economy went to crap and EPA killed the fun. Hmm, interesting.
My 06 gets the same fuel mpg as my old 2000 did pulling. Plus the 06 has way more power and the shop doesn't stink when I start it up in the morning The DPF is where the EPA went too far
Old 08-02-2008, 03:09 PM

Why does marketing have to make up such silly names? It's an International diesel engine so call it that!

Powerstork!

Isuzu/GM diesel!
Old 08-02-2008, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Ronco95
Why does marketing have to make up such silly names? It's an International diesel engine so call it that!

Powerstork!

Isuzu/GM diesel!

Now that's funny...
Old 08-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Chapter President

This may be a bit off, but I clicked the second link Scorpion where they captured the picture. That thing is just plain uuuuuuuuugggggggggglllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!! !!! The hood.....I can't think of words, the lights???? Of course V8.......all I can say is mooo, follow the herd.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Ronco95

Powerstork!

Isuzu/GM diesel!
It's NOT an International engine . That's what the lawsuit is all about .

Quick Reply: Info on new Furd Diesel..the Navistar Divorce looks to be final