General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Implementing a Walbro fuel system

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 09:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now that you say that, I remember and you are right. And if you look at the picture of my fuel pump back on page 1 of this thread, you can see that we took the quick connect off the Bosch pump and put it on the Walbro. I think that quick connect threaded into the Bosch. You can see I used a copper washer on the output of the Walbro.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:43 PM

SD, I have just about everything for the Walbro install, basically all I need now is the LP elimination piece. I won't be force feeding the CP3 so I will need to keep an eye on backpressure so I don't pop the lid on the fuel filter canister. Would I need to get my readings pre filter canister? You have confirmed the lids will pop at 60psi, at what psi should I start to think about replacing the filter?
Old 01-22-2006, 09:49 PM
Banned

"I won't be force feeding the CP3 so I will need to keep an eye on backpressure so I don't pop the lid on the fuel filter canister."

So you are using the plain line bypass system ?

"Would I need to get my readings pre filter canister?"

I think that is the best way to do it. Just put a gauge there and watch it. If the gauge goes to 0 PSI, there is something wrong with your lift pump. If it goes to 20PSI, your filter is getting plugged.

"You have confirmed the lids will pop at 60psi, at what psi should I start to think about replacing the filter?"

I think I'll be doing mine at 20-25 PSI. The Walbro is still pumping lots of fuel at that pressure and I think the element is good for that sort of pressure. I am not sure about the later though.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SD - I've got the tapped banjo bolts. Do I need to buy new washers or can I reuse the original ones from the stock banjo's.
Thanks in advance - never replaced banjo bolts...
Old 01-23-2006, 08:58 AM
Banned

I had the same question, Trik. I reused my washers with no ill effects.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:22 PM

Well, I'm going to give the Walbro a try. I have 2 Walbro pumps on their way from ebay. Once they arrive I'll decide whether to hook them both up in parallel or just keep one as a loose spare. In the meantime I'm going to start fabricating the CP3 bypass line and buy the OEM lift pump replacement plate somewhere.

I'm thinking of getting the metal fuel canister lid from Geno's as well. This is tapped for a fuel pressure gauge. I assume this would be a post-filter reading, so I'll still need a pre-filter gauge to monitor the line pressure on that side.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:47 PM
Banned

"I assume this would be a post-filter reading"

It is. The center of the filter is the outlet. The fuel comes in on the outside of the filter and goes to the inside. That puts the filter element under compression rather than tension.

I think the easiest way to put a gauge upstream of the filter is to tap the banjo bolt that supplies the filter housing, at least it looks that way on my 05.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Blast Chamber
In the meantime I'm going to start fabricating the CP3 bypass line and buy the OEM lift pump replacement plate somewhere.

I just orderd mine from Rip yesterday, he said he just got a shipment of a dozen or so in. He also said they are selling like crazy, so you may want to jump on it. Just remember the plate doesn't come with the 6AN fitting, so don't forget to order it along with the 90 degree adapter (make for easier installation), he has these in stock as well. Providing you are using AN fittings that is. I have a load of Russel 3/8" braided hose laying around so I will put it to use on this system. I'd like to eventually use the braided for the entire run to the CP3, but for now I just want to get the Walbro in, the OEM LP is getting super weak. I'm lucky if I see 5.5psi with warm fuel, with cold fuel I see 2 - 3psi...
Old 01-25-2006, 08:46 AM

I've got just about all the parts to put this together. My only concern is the relay situation. I got a spare factory relay to put in just in case it goes. I would like to know what specifications on a relay would I need if I added one before the wahlbro. I don't know what to look for. Any ideas?

Does anyone know what relay they use for the FASS setup?
Old 01-25-2006, 09:19 AM

I have a 05'. The chrome filter cap from geno's taps fuel from the center top. This gives me PRE-Filter pressure. BC, look at your fuel filter and if it has no opening on the top of it, the cap will give you pre-filter pressure. ----RJ
Old 01-25-2006, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by RatherBeMuddin
I just orderd mine from Rip yesterday, he said he just got a shipment of a dozen or so in. He also said they are selling like crazy, so you may want to jump on it. Just remember the plate doesn't come with the 6AN fitting, so don't forget to order it along with the 90 degree adapter (make for easier installation), he has these in stock as well. Providing you are using AN fittings that is. I have a load of Russel 3/8" braided hose laying around so I will put it to use on this system. I'd like to eventually use the braided for the entire run to the CP3, but for now I just want to get the Walbro in, the OEM LP is getting super weak. I'm lucky if I see 5.5psi with warm fuel, with cold fuel I see 2 - 3psi...
Thanks for that info. Rip is getting me prices right now on the filter plate as well as the FASS-II electrical harness with relay and the FASS-II 3/8" quick disconnect for the tank. For the filter plate I was just going to go with a 90 degree hose barb type fitting and run 3/8" rubber fuel line, unless there is a compelling reason to use something better. I was thinking about putting a Perma-Cool filter/separator ($36 from Jegs) between the Walbro and the OEM filter cannister as well. That way should I get a bad tank of fuel it will be that filter that plugs and not the OEM filter in the bowl.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:47 PM
Banned

"The chrome filter cap from geno's taps fuel from the center top. This gives me PRE-Filter pressure."

If you take a close look at the filter housing, I think you'll find that the CP3 is fed from the center of the filter. Thus a hole in the center of the filter lid measures post filter pressures. I think you will also find the feed from the lift pump goes in the periphery of the filter housing.

I think almost all filters are designed for the filter element to be in compression. So the inlet goes to the outside of the filter and the outlet goes to the center of the filter.

I think the easiest place to hook in a pre filter gauge would be to use a tapped banjo bolt on the feed line from the lift pump.

McMaster-Carr has some neat quick connects too.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:14 PM

If you are familiar with the fuel filter and housing then you will see how Geno's filter cap works. Take your cap off and look down on your filter. If you have not ever changed your filter then I can understand your confusion with my statement on Geno's filter, It's a Pre-filter pressure access point on my 05 filter housing. If a 03 fuel filter does have an opening and seal on both ends (my 05 does not) then Geno's cap access will give you post filter fuel pressure -----RJ
Old 01-25-2006, 02:26 PM
Banned

Does the Geno lid pressure tap connect to the center of the fuel filter or the outside of the fuel filter ?
Old 01-25-2006, 02:45 PM

Geno's cap is a really nice piece for the engine. I highly recommend it. It's of excellent quality billet with a access hole in the center of the it. There is no "tap" probe to get pushed into the center of the filter. It's a filter housing cap. -------RJ

Quick Reply: Implementing a Walbro fuel system